The use of You Only Live Once

Yeah, so this phrase in general kinda irritates me as sometimes it is used as an excuse to do various acts or things (some in which are immoral).
But anyways I have always tried to avoid using the phrase out of shear frustration and such but then when I was playing a strategy game and I can't excatly remember what happened but I ended up saying something along the lines of saying "My General was like YOLO", in which then I thought about it and the term You Only Live Once, and I was thinking I know this is probably over thinking this but in someway may this be immoral or sinful, I doubt it as it is quite simular to a quote my priest told me which goes along the lines of "Jesus gave us life, so we should live it too the fullest" or something like that.
But yeah thats my question is it immoral to use that phrase as although we only live one on this earth after this world, there is another in which God resides with us, isn't there?

We only live once and we live forever.

Please get help for your scrupulosity. You frequently post very scrupulous things here. Your scrupulosity will not get better without help.

As for your question for whether or not it is immoral, I would not think so as we should all attempt to make the most of our life on earth. It really depends on the context however, people tend to use YOLO (in my experience) as an excuse for doing immoral or inappropriate acts. So I personally would not dare using the phrase myself.

[quote="Lux_de_Avicula, post:4, topic:329765"]
As for your question for whether or not it is immoral, I would not think so as we should all attempt to make the most of our life on earth. It really depends on the context however, people tend to use YOLO (in my experience) as an excuse for doing immoral or inappropriate acts. So I personally would not dare using the phrase myself.

[/quote]

You have the same kind of opinion/experience as myself and I usually avoid it but as we was talking and the context, in this occasion I kind of said it without thinking but yeah, sounds like we have similar experiences.

The FOCUS conference in Orlando adapted this phrase for theology talks. The phrase has a pull for some people :shrug:

This is the type of Question Robert Whatshisname would ask…
LORD There is Two here now !

#yolo

But to be serious, Blackspur, what you're describing is OCD, and you might want to see a doctor/therapist for it. I did when I was a kid, and I largely got over most of my OCD tendencies, and it definitely made my life a lot more enjoyable.

Yeah, I have a tendency to stress about a lot of different things in general I did see a counslier for a while but I think because I have been stressing out over my exams and health and such that I am over thinking other parts of my life and stressing about them, in this case it seems to support it.

[quote="Blackspur7, post:10, topic:329765"]
Yeah, I have a tendency to stress about a lot of different things in general I did see a counslier for a while but I think because I have been stressing out over my exams and health and such that I am over thinking other parts of my life and stressing about them, in this case it seems to support it.

[/quote]

don't worry so much, you only live once.

I’ll try can’t help it though it’s my nature and hopefully I’ll be able to over come it.
As my priest said something along these lines of “Jesus gave us life, so we should live it too the full” and I guess that means I shouldn’t spend my time on this earth stressing out I guess.

[quote="Blackspur7, post:12, topic:329765"]
I'll try can't help it though it's my nature and hopefully I'll be able to over come it.
As my priest said something along these lines of "Jesus gave us life, so we should live it too the full" and I guess that means I shouldn't spend my time on this earth stressing out I guess.

[/quote]

why don't you play sports? that's a good emotional lift when the team has to rely on you and you answer the call, you'll feel better about yourself. winning feels great, losing is a way to growth. what do you guys play over there, quidditch? rounders?

[quote="Fairwinds, post:13, topic:329765"]
why don't you play sports? that's a good emotional lift when the team has to rely on you and you answer the call, you'll feel better about yourself. winning feels great, losing is a way to growth. what do you guys play over there, quidditch? rounders?

[/quote]

I myself aren't too sporty but I was hoping to get into going jogging but as of the moment I am recovering from being ill, but would like to do sports problem is, I'm either not good at any or I don't know what ones I want to do.
In the future me and some friends talked about going to play football (Soccer) so that might be fun, just a matter of finding where and who to do it with.

[quote="Blackspur7, post:14, topic:329765"]
I myself aren't too sporty but I was hoping to get into going jogging but as of the moment I am recovering from being ill, but would like to do sports problem is, I'm either not good at any or I don't know what ones I want to do.
In the future me and some friends talked about going to play football (Soccer) so that might be fun, just a matter of finding where and who to do it with.

[/quote]

then it might be more important just to get out of the house once or twice a week and enjoy the camaraderie of fellow men. throw darts, or play pool. have one of those undrinkable warm beers you guys like so much. all this introspection is not doing you any good.

[quote="Fairwinds, post:15, topic:329765"]
then it might be more important just to get out of the house once or twice a week and enjoy the camaraderie of fellow men. throw darts, or play pool. have one of those undrinkable warm beers you guys like so much. all this introspection is not doing you any good.

[/quote]

Well my Dad does play darts most nights on Fridays, perhaps I'll ask him if I can come along with him and have a couple of games, maybe participate in some tournaments and such.
Need to start practicing, but seriously I thank you for your time and patience.

[quote="Blackspur7, post:10, topic:329765"]

[/quote]

Exams are one of the few things that make my OCD flare up. Keep telling yourself that nothing bad is going to happen if you don't indulge it. You might want to see another counselor or return to your previous one to talk about your current stress. Going over things that I said one was of my OCD tendencies in childhood, so I know where you're coming from. You just have to keep telling yourself that it's just your brain going a little overboard with your safety checker and once you break the habits, you can start to live much more freely. When I was in the thick of it, it seemed like my whole life, but now I can honestly look back on a lot of it and realize how unnecessary the behaviors were.

Yes, exercise! And go out as much as you can. Don’t let yourself get into those long mental OCD loops, where you’re going over the same information and just getting deeper and deeper. Getting out of the house and playing a sport can break that spell of it really quickly. Running makes me feel invincible. It’s awesome.

that’s pure TRVTH

Hey, I am used to hear saying this as well. I got so tired of it. So you know what I say is
YLFE! You Live Forever!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.