The Vatican II changes in Liturgy

A well made video explaining Vatican II reform in Liturgy. Vilified by some, praised by others. A well made video by Breaking the Habit…

3 Likes

Nothing in the Second Vatican Councils documents is Latin abolished. It promotes it.
The Second Vatican Council didn’t even create the Novus Ordo. It came out five years after the Council. Yes it was implemented badly by some priests, but this video is not a good video, it is very uneducated and wrong in many ways.
And how was the liturgy changed forever? I just went to an Extraordinary Form Mass yesterday actually.

12 Likes

Another wild misleading assertion against Vatican II liturgical reforms.

As stated by Diminusvobiscum, Latin was not abolished in Vatican II, nor were guitars even mentioned.

Guitars came into the Mass because the culture had more guitarist than organists.

I’m sure when the organ was first invented, there were those who opposed it’s use at Mass.

7 Likes

I would really like to read a criticism "of this wierd new invention, that comes into our churches and destroyes our chanting tradition. " :grin:

Yes, I’m pretty sure I heard this too.

Seems, though, least ways in my experience, the music of the 1970s was more guitar type music than organ music. It also seems that guitars at Mass are fading out, hopefully.

That’s because guitars are easy to take with you and play, anywhere

Try taking an organ to an outside rally, especially a tracker pipe organ, which was the style commonly in the cathedrals in Europe and the US

However, the guitar has a longer history than the organ, and stringed instruments use for praising God is in the Psalms.

3 Likes

I love the pipe organ, and everyone who expects to hear pipe organ at Mass ought to bring his wallet to Church and open it up, because organists don’t grow on trees and educating them is expensive.

The guitar is used effectively also. I’ve heard good and I’ve heard awful.
More than the instruments being used, the style of music incorporated into some parishes can be awful. Not always is…can be.
We were at a neighboring parish recently, and the musical setting was the same thing you’d hear at a broadway play. Awful.
Others do an awesome job with guitars and flutes and pianos.

2 Likes

Likewise, I’ve heard awful Gregorian Chant, especially when the group signing it, had no talent for music.

1 Like

Yes, that is true, it is easier to carry a guitar. Though I think probably most churches had organs or pianos already there by the 1970s.

There was a pope, I think it was actually St Pious X, who prohibited the Violin.

This was because his assistant played the violin and practiced it to the point of irritation to those who had to hear it. So, the Pope disallowed it at Mass

Ironically, after his death, the assistant was named Pope and allowed the violin at Mass. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not referring to talent. I’m referring to relevance. And reverence. The expression of cultural values that are Christ centered and lead people to Christ.

Good liturgy can be done with all kinds of instruments.

2 Likes

@JimR-OCDS @Dominusvobiscum1
did you watch the video? The good Friar did NOT say the Vatican II did those things. He stated the silly claims and then destroyed each of them.

If you didn’t watch, it’s worth watching

2 Likes

Why should I watch the video when I can just take a position a priori?
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you saw the whole video, the friar was not arguing against Latin and such, but was stating the misconceptions people have about what the council actually did.

1 Like

But the what the Friar wrote in the article contradicts what the OP article stated. Go listen to it.

What did the OP say?

Never mind, he opens with a statement than says it’s not correct

Well, his first statement made me turn it off. I apologize !

2 Likes

I watched the video. I didn’t see the OP make any claims in his post, but simply link the video by the friar.

Haha no problems!

It’s the problem with a teacher, beginning the lesson with sarcasm and not identifying it as such.

I thought he was being serious.

3 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.