The Veterans Affairs administration spent $20 million on expensive artwork and sculptures amidst the healthcare scandal, where thousands of veterans died waiting to see doctors

foxnews.com/politics/2016/07/27/va-spent-20m-on-art-as-ailing-veterans-languished-report-finds.html

**The Veterans Affairs administration spent $20 million on expensive artwork and sculptures amidst the healthcare scandal, where thousands of veterans died waiting to see doctors.

The taxpayer watchdog group Open the Books teamed up with COX Media Washington, D.C., for an oversight report on spending at the VA, finding numerous frivolous expenditures on artwork, including six-figure dollar sculptures at facilities for the blind.**

The article continues at the link.

It is easier to buy artwork than it is to reform a bureaucracy.

Let’s begin, one person and one pink slip at a time, starting at the top. The longest journey begins with a single step.

Powers that be don’t want to reform the bureaucracy. They see nothing wrong with it; in fact they think more bureaucracy is the answer to all of life’s problems.

Would I be out of line to post an article here about my Grandpa being delayed treatment? I mean, I don’t want to derail the thread, it just seems pertinent.

We can blame the VA, but someone above them had to release the funds or OK this expense in the first place.

With my job, I have a company credit card, but they also watch what I use it for, its not that difficult to control spending.

They keep doing things like this because they recognize all the public will do is whine and complain a little bit, but in the end, thats about all most are willing to do and my guess is someone at the top of the food chain will attempt to justify the spending and it will be left at that.

Nah, people died. There need to be trials.

And don’t forget Clinton said the problems at the VA are “overblown”.

cnn.com/2015/10/26/politics/veterans-group-va-hillary-clinton/

Clinton also said surveys of veterans show many are satisfied with VA healthcare, but she added, “Nobody would believe that from the coverage that you see, and the constant berating of the VA that comes from the Republicans, in part in pursuit of this ideological agenda that they have.”

Everything is a right-wing conspiracy in Clinton-land.

Not to mention that sometimes funds are earmarked for certain things. I don’t know how the VA does it, but state agencies (including schools) often submit budgets and then they get funds based on that budget. Or funds get specifically designated for a specific purpose, like up-dating all the bleachers in the school while laying off teachers. But those funds were specifically for building maintenance and improvements rather than staffing/payroll and you can’t move the funds from one purpose to another.

Hasn’t she now been talking about reforms?

And you believe her? She also said she didn’t have any classified materials on her server but she did.

Slow your roll. I didn’t say I believe her. I asked if she’s now talking about reforms…

I think it would be fine to post your grandpa’s story. Many of us would like to read it.

Our veterans deserve so much better treatment than they are getting.

Sounds like hidden kickbacks to me. The NEA, National Endowment for the Arts, is a huge democrat supoorter. I wonder if someone could trace the money to democrat supporters. And if those artists then gave some of the money back in campaign contributions, or maybe to the Clinton Foundation.

I think veterans should be able to use the VA funds at any hospital they wish instead of being forced to go to the VA hospitals.

Like, if there is a waiting list, just let them use a voucher card from the VA at a private hospitals.

Sorry, I don’t know much about this issue. I have heard some politicians talk about this idea before, however, and I thought it was a really good one.

Oh, okay, this was TOTALLY NECESSARY (sarcasm). :mad:

There is now the Choice program for those of us who live far from the VA facility. Unfortunately, it’s difficult to use. I have to call the appointment people - who are across the country, and say who I want the appointment with. Then they make the appointment - which takes several days. Get a call back to see if day & time are OK. If not, they try again. Haven’t asked yet if I can see the eye doc of choice, but I don’t want to go to the VA clinic. They really messed up my last glasses & it’s too much trouble to complain. So I’m still wearing my old glasses.

But when I call, they always say, “Thank you for your service.” Is that supposed to make me feel better about their lousy service? :shrug:

I’m all ears…

She’ll have the head of the VA move his office down the hall and call it a change.

“You’re welcome. I’d like to be able to say the same to you, but seeing as I haven’t been served by you…” :wink:

chronicle.augusta.com/news/health/2013-11-23/veterans-family-blames-delayed-care-charlie-norwood-va-medical-center-death

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.