The Vindication of George W. Bush

The Vindication of George W. Bush

*“I just wanted to thank so many on the other side after all these years, for finally acknowledging publicly that ninety-eight percent of the Bush tax cuts helped the middle class.” *
**~Representative Louis Gohmert (R-Texas) **
Even in the wake of Barack Obama’s re-election, events vindicate the man whom he distastefully scapegoats: George W. Bush.

Consider first this week’s “fiscal cliff” stalemate.

Since November, liberals have claimed a sweeping ideological mandate, a validation of their political agenda, at least insofar as higher taxes were concerned. Obama himself wasted no opportunity to assert that voters were offered a choice of higher or lower taxes, and they opted for the former. A watershed shift, they seemed to think.
Viewed from a broader perspective, however, reality is very different.

Obama and his party just did something that Republicans couldn’t do even when they controlled both houses of Congress and the White House. Namely, make the Bush tax cuts permanent for approximately 99% of Americans.

To reinforce the point, note that higher tax rates were set to automatically take effect on January 1. Accordingly, if Obama and fellow Democrats had done nothing, the Bush tax cuts that they’ve spent the past decade demonizing would vanish at the stroke of midnight.

more…

The one indisputable fact is that deficits were higher under Bush than they were under Clinton. Pretty immoral if you think of it, to cut taxes and not cut spending and make future generations pay for it. I hope he is proud of himself.

That’s hardly a vindication piece on Bush. However, to elaborate we’d certainly delve into politics since the essence of that link and original post is certainly is political.

Obama spent triple what Bush in half the time.

And we have political liftoff!

Congress did not cooperate on the spending cuts. So far I think it is 3 or 4 times they committed to it and did not do it. (Since the Contract w/ America)

It is always easier to cut taxes than spending. Reagan said it was one thing he regretted, taking Congress on its word it would do so. They didn’t.

It is a pretty good sign of a weak and ineffective president when he can’t get his own party to agree to balance the budget.

:rotfl: AHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

yup.

Obama being bad does not make bush good. It is like saying one prostitute is more moral than another because they only work one day a week instead of three.

I don’t know of a president who did. But you are right. Perhaps now is the time that all branches will work together to cut spending.

I will email Obama, you should too.

Fair enough! It is a good point.

But I would like to think that Bush did it to defend America from another terrorist attack. Another attack like that on his watch would make him morally culpable.

Obama on the other did it by entitlements and stimulus spending that didn’t work.

I didn’t say Bush was good, either you put those words in my mouth. Bush did a lot of things I disagree with (basically any increase in the size of the Federal Government). Obama is taking things to a new level with his attacks on religious freedom. Bush was a lesser of two evils, although I feel like Bush was trying to do the right thing (although misguided in his attempts) while Obama is taking an “end justifies the means” approach.

vindication? the man is a scumbag i wouldnt even give him the dignity of spitting on his face. he started an unjust illegal war in the name of God. lol you conservative catholics are so naive, so gullible. if a politician says a few pretty words about “God and country” you believe him without question. honestly lol, how many times are you guys going to let yourselves get suckered in by these scoundrels?

One can debate whether or not the wars actually made us safer. What one cannot debate is that there was no justification for fighting a war and making future generations pay for it. That really is taxation without representation. Perhaps he should have added a 10% surtax on the income tax to pay for the war, that would force people to think hard as to whether or not it was a good idea.

Obama on the other did it by entitlements and stimulus spending that didn’t work.

I didn’t say Bush was good, either you put those words in my mouth. Bush did a lot of things I disagree with (basically any increase in the size of the Federal Government). Obama is taking things to a new level with his attacks on religious freedom. Bush was a lesser of two evils, although I feel like Bush was trying to do the right thing (although misguided in his attempts) while Obama is taking an “end justifies the means” approach.

I am not defending Obama either. There are just some here who seem to think that the republicans are the party of fiscal responsibility when I cannot find any evidence that is the case.

I completely agree. Republicans are no better with fiscal responsibility. They are simply pushing a conservative agenda as opposed to a liberal one. Either way its irresponsible.

He did? Who authorized it?

He did have to put up with the other party, unlike Mr. I Am Rumming for President of the World who could not get a budget, balanced or not, for at least three years running WITH his own party in power. :eek::smiley:

There were years under bush where the republicans controlled the house, senate and the white house.

And if a politician says some pretty words about terrorists that what to kill everyone that do not agree with them and since you called Bush a ‘scumbag’ because he did not kiss torrerist backside and he was, and is, pro-American, what does that make you and Obama? :confused::confused: But what am I to say any thing bad about somebody who’s idea of people like is that we are not smart enough to do anything but ‘cling to our God and our guns’, :cool::slight_smile:

But they did get a beget past which something that Obama has NOT been able to do, I know there are people out there that would jump off a cliff before they would admit that Bash (or any Repubican, starting with Lincon) could do anything right. :smiley:

You sound so intelligent and ration, obviously you HAVE to be right, we’re all just gullible Catholics. /sarcasm

As for your statement, as a supposed Catholic, you should never spit in anyone’s face. Even the most grievous sinner is capable of repenting. I don’t believe any politician immediately, regardless of what he says. And how about Obama? The man has routinely fought to expand people’s ability to kill their children; has fought to prevent children who survived an abortion attempt from getting care; has failed, routinely, to help the economy / middle class / lower class whom he professes to love so much.

Neither man was especially excellent, but I would rather see Bush as president for the rest of my life then deal with the next four years of the current incompetent’s reign.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.