The Virgin Mary

Peace

The virgin Mary (may God be pleased with her), mother of Jesus Christ (peace be upon him). What is a catholic’s relationship to her? I know its a vague question, but try to give a complete a response as possible.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

[quote=Faith101]Peace

The virgin Mary (may God be pleased with her), mother of Jesus Christ (peace be upon him). What is a catholic’s relationship to her? I know its a vague question, but try to give a complete a response as possible.

Thanks guys :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Oh man, that’s a biggy. Well, first of all, we love her a lot. She’s the Mother of God, the Ark of the New Covenant, and our own Spiritual Mother. She is also the perfect Christian as she heard the Word and kept it better than anyone–she was sinless from conception. Her *fiat *paved the way for our redemption. At the end of her life she was bodily assumed into Heaven. She is the Queen Mother to Christ the King of Kings. She also prays for us constantly and interecedes for us just like she did at the Wedding Feast at cana, prompting Jesus to perform His first miracle, even though He had said it was not His time yet… Hmmm, let’s see, that should sum it up.:cool:

[quote=Genesis315]Oh man, that’s a biggy. Well, first of all, we love her a lot. She’s the Mother of God, the Ark of the New Covenant, and our own Spiritual Mother. She is also the perfect Christian as she heard the Word and kept it better than anyone–she was sinless from conception. Her *fiat *paved the way for our redemption. At the end of her life she was bodily assumed into Heaven. She is the Queen Mother to Christ the King of Kings. She also prays for us constantly and interecedes for us just like she did at the Wedding Feast at cana, prompting Jesus to perform His first miracle, even though He had said it was not His time yet… Hmmm, let’s see, that should sum it up.:cool:
[/quote]

Do you direct prayers TO Mary? Ask her to ask God for things, etc

[quote=Faith101]Do you direct prayers TO Mary? Ask her to ask God for things, etc
[/quote]

Faith, everyday I ask Mary and all the Saints to pray WITH me to the Lord for all sorts of things. These “things” are usually prayers for my deceased relatives, sick releatives, end to starvation and wars and most importantly, to open my heart to the Holy Spirit.

[quote=Faith101]Do you direct prayers TO Mary? Ask her to ask God for things, etc
[/quote]

Yep I ask her to pray for me and others, just like I ask friends and family to also pray for me and others.

[quote=Genesis315]Yep I ask her to pray for me and others, just like I ask friends and family to also pray for me and others.
[/quote]

someone said that they ask Mary to pray WITH them, someone said FOR them…which one is correct according to the Bible

two diffrent things to pray WITH and FOR

WITH - we ask her to pray with us when we ask her to pray for the same things we are praying to the Father for (like walking up the up escalator)

FOR - we ask her to pray for us when we rely on her to do the praying in a manner we are unble to (riding the escalator), that is at a time when we cannot (ie the hour of our death)

[quote=Faith101]someone said that they ask Mary to pray WITH them, someone said FOR them…which one is correct according to the Bible
[/quote]

Well, the Bible says to pray for one another and we see St. Paul asking others to pray for him. I think it’s St. John in one of his epistles that says the prayers of the righteous are very efficacious. So asking someone to pray for or you and asking someone to pray with you are both Biblical.

I usually ask mary to pray for the same things I am also praying for also, so I guess “with” is what happens in practice most of the time.

[quote=But for Grace]two diffrent things to pray WITH and FOR

WITH - we ask her to pray with us when we ask her to pray for the same things we are praying to the Father for (like walking up the up escalator)

FOR - we ask her to pray for us when we rely on her to do the praying in a manner we are unble to (riding the escalator), that is at a time when we cannot (ie the hour of our death)
[/quote]

this is going to be a weird question, and i will try to phrase it right

Christians, ofcourse, believe that God is all-hearing (meaning that He will hear you and no matter where you are in the world)

Do you also believe that Mary and some of the saints are also all-hearing?

[quote=Faith101]Do you also believe that Mary and some of the saints are also all-hearing?
[/quote]

Hmmm. Maybe. Because the communion of saints and the Church (the mystical body of Christ) is not ruptured because some are in Heaven and others are on earth, we are still connected with the Saints. They can hear what we direct to them, because God allows them of course (just as He allows everything else that happens, :smiley: ). I’m not sure if they would be considered all hearing though.

On a side note, we see the angels and saints offering our prayers in golden bowls to God in the book of Revelation.

I think the sanctified saints make our prayers more pleasing to God (like putting them in a golden bowl, which might be symbolic for this.) Even though I know Jesus appreciates my prayers either way, I want to give Him the best and offering up my prayers and deeds through the undefiled hands of Mary makes my offering that much better than if it came from my filthy hands. I don’t think this is official Church doctrine, but in St. Louis De Monfort’s true devotion to Mary, this is how he depicts it.

[quote=Genesis315]Hmmm. Maybe. Because the communion of saints and the Church (the mystical body of Christ) is not ruptured because some are in Heaven and others are on earth, we are still connected with the Saints. They can hear what we direct to them, because God allows them of course (just as He allows everything else that happens, :smiley: ). I’m not sure if they would be considered all hearing though.

On a side note, we see the angels and saints offering our prayers in golden bowls to God in the book of Revelation.

I think the sanctified saints make our prayers more pleasing to God (like putting them in a golden bowl, which might be symbolic for this.) Even though I know Jesus appreciates my prayers either way, I want to give Him the best and offering up my prayers and deeds through the undefiled hands of Mary makes my offering that much better than if it came from my filthy hands. I don’t think this is official Church doctrine, but in St. Louis De Monfort’s true devotion to Mary, this is how he depicts it.
[/quote]

a Catholic in China prays and asks Mary to pray to God for something…and so does a Catholic in America…is Mary all-hearing…that is my question

[quote=Faith101]a Catholic in China prays and asks Mary to pray to God for something…and so does a Catholic in America…is Mary all-hearing…that is my question
[/quote]

Haha, like I said, she hears what we each pray. Does she hear what is not directed her way? I don’t know. Remember too, Heaven is most likely outside of time space. She has an eternity to hear all our prayers and because she loves us so much, she does.:thumbsup:

i thank everyone for their replies.

As Muslims, we believe that only God is all-hearing, all-knowing. Saying that any thing other than Him is all-hearing (can hear the calls of people anywhere in the earth) is considered “shirk” in Islam…which means to associate a partner with God…or claim divinity for something/someone other than God.

[quote=Faith101]i thank everyone for their replies.

As Muslims, we believe that only God is all-hearing, all-knowing. Saying that any thing other than Him is all-hearing (can hear the calls of people anywhere in the earth) is considered “shirk” in Islam…which means to associate a partner with God…or claim divinity for something/someone other than God.
[/quote]

Could Allah allow someone in Heaven to hear someone on Earth? How about the angels?

Faith,
No Mary is not equal to Christ or God, she is the handmaiden of God.

[quote=Fox]Faith,
No Mary is not equal to Christ or God, she is the handmaiden of God.
[/quote]

“handmaiden of God” what does that mean?

Faith101 - I believe that Genesis315 has dealt sufficently with your response to my last post.

as to Mary being the “handmaided of the Lord”

websters has

HAND’MAIDEN, n. A maid that waits at hand; a female servant or attendant.

It is a way of saying that Mary is obedient to God and does his bidding. It originates in the Gosple of Luke when the angel Gabriel told her she was to concieve Christ. It also means that she continues to act in obedience to God.

[quote=Faith101]i thank everyone for their replies.

[/quote]

Faith, what is the purpose of your questions? Do you really want to learn what we believe or are you just looking for something else to find fault with?

We already know that you reject everything we believe so why keep asking questions? It seems a complete waste of time!:frowning:

[quote=Genesis315]Hmmm. Maybe. Because the communion of saints and the Church (the mystical body of Christ) is not ruptured because some are in Heaven and others are on earth, we are still connected with the Saints. They can hear what we direct to them, because God allows them of course (just as He allows everything else that happens, :smiley: ). I’m not sure if they would be considered all hearing though.

[/quote]

Hi Genesis,

A few thought on this subject.

There are many images of the church as understood by its believers. for example:-

1. Church as the body of Christ - we are different parts but one body.

2. Church as family of God - we are one big family of God. God as Father, Jesus as brother and all Christians alive and the dead who are in heaven (these are the saints).

3. Church as holy nation - we are a nation. There are rules and celebrations. A nation celebrates a King’s birthday for example. A nation can have feast too. These you can have like Christmas or Easter, or feasts like the sacraments.

Saints are considered finished products. We are looking forward to be finished products of the work of God. Being one family, the children can approach the Father. Only we just call this prayer.

Peace.

Reuben.

From catholic answers:

Can They Hear Us?

One charge made against it is that the saints in heaven cannot even hear our prayers, making it useless to ask for their intercession. However, this is not true. As Scripture indicates, those in heaven are aware of the prayers of those on earth. This can be seen, for example, in Revelation 5:8, where John depicts the saints in heaven offering our prayers to God under the form of “golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.” But if the saints in heaven are offering our prayers to God, then they must be aware of our prayers. They are aware of our petitions and present them to God by interceding for us.

Some might try to argue that in this passage the prayers being offered were not addressed to the saints in heaven, but directly to God. Yet this argument would only strengthen the fact that those in heaven can hear our prayers, for then the saints would be aware of our prayers even when they are not directed to them!

In any event, it is clear from Revelation 5:8 that the saints in heaven do actively intercede for us. We are explicitly told by John that the incense they offer to God are the prayers of the saints. Prayers are not physical things and cannot be physically offered to God. Thus the saints in heaven are offering our prayers to God mentally. In other words, they are interceding.

In Heaven and On Earth

The Bible directs us to invoke those in heaven and ask them to pray with us. Thus in Psalms 103, we pray, “Bless the Lord, O you his angels, you mighty ones who do his word, hearkening to the voice of his word! Bless the Lord, all his hosts, his ministers that do his will!” (Ps. 103:20-21). And in Psalms 148 we pray, “Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise him in the heights! Praise him, all his angels, praise him, all his host!” (Ps. 148:1-2).

Not only do those in heaven pray with us, they also pray for us. In the book of Revelation, we read: “[An] angel came and stood at the altar [in heaven] with a golden censer; and he was given much incense to mingle with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar before the throne; and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God” (Rev. 8:3-4).

And those in heaven who offer to God our prayers aren’t just angels, but humans as well. John sees that “the twenty-four elders [the leaders of the people of God in heaven] fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and with golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints” (Rev. 5:8). The simple fact is, as this passage shows: The saints in heaven offer to God the prayers of the saints on earth.

Pio

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.