The way of the Blood

Hello-

Why do we have to serve the holy blood in a chalice? Why can’t we have it in little plastic cups? I have never drank the blood. I just get the communion bread. I am grossed out drinking out of the same cup as everyone else. Is it ok? Do I have to have both?

Jillian

[quote="JillianRose, post:1, topic:288224"]
Hello-

Why do we have to serve the holy blood in a chalice? Why can't we have it in little plastic cups? I have never drank the blood. I just get the communion bread. I am grossed out drinking out of the same cup as everyone else. Is it ok? Do I have to have both?

Jillian

[/quote]

Probably because we have never done it, and because it would be very unseemly.

No, one suffices. You can receive one or the other, or both, but you aren't getting "more" of Christ by receiving both. Many people choose to only receive the host, and some choose to receive only from the chalice.

There is a practice called "intinction" by which the priest (and only the priest) takes a host and dips it into the chalice and then places it on the tongue of the communicant. Personally, I think this is the best way to do it if the Blood simply must be distributed, but I suspect the reason it isn't widespread is because it denies people from receiving the host into the hand...

Hello-

Why do we have to serve the holy blood in a chalice? Why can't we have it in little plastic cups? I have never drank the blood. I just get the communion bread. I am grossed out drinking out of the same cup as everyone else. Is it ok? Do I have to have both?

Jillian

[/quote]

"Little plastic (or glass) cups" are appropriate for symbolic Protestant communion. I know from experience that that's the way Southern Baptists distribute grape juice. The Precious Blood requires a chalice of precious metal. If the chalice is purified; i.e. if the lip prints are wiped clean after each person communicates, and the chalice is rotated, there is no danger in catching anything from the chalice, according to studies that have been done. There is enough alcohol in the Precious Blood to sterilize the chalice.

But you need not receive the Precious Blood. Even though we refer to it as "the Blood of Christ," and the Bread as the "Body of Christ," either the consecrated Bread OR the consecrated Wine contain the whole Christ -- the divine substance of His Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity. You are not lacking anything by receiving either. You are not recieving more of Christ by receiving both.

Hello-

Jillian

[/quote]

You can have it through a spoon if you like.

Please don’t be rude.

[quote="JillianRose, post:5, topic:288224"]
Please don't be rude.

[/quote]

Why is this being rude?

http://www.transfiguration.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Father-Jordan-03.jpg

[quote="JillianRose, post:5, topic:288224"]
Please don't be rude.

[/quote]

He was not being rude - alternative ways of receiving the Precious Blood are through a spoon or a metal straw. Both are not common in the United States (I think in fact, they are omitted from the US GIRM). In any case, I doubt that would work for you, since its a common spoon/straw.

It is not appropriate to receive the Precious Blood in a plastic cup because (a) that is not respectful according to current cultural norms. The Precious Blood is usually held in a container made of/plated with non-absorbent precious material (like gold). (b) it would cause problems for purification. Respect for the Precious Blood includes drinking ALL of it, and any liquid remaining is washed with water which is also usually drunk.

It is also important from the symbolic value that people receive from a single chalice, as far as possible. Sacraments are signs, and as the Eucharist is the sacrament of unity, this is fittingly expressed by the people receiving from one chalice. This is evident as early as St. Paul, who writes:

The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a participation in the body of Christ? Because the loaf of bread is one, we, though many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf.

[quote="AJV, post:7, topic:288224"]
He was not being rude - alternative ways of receiving the Precious Blood are through a spoon or a metal straw. Both are not common in the United States (I think in fact, they are omitted from the US GIRM). In any case, I doubt that would work for you, since its a common spoon/straw.

It is not appropriate to receive the Precious Blood in a plastic cup because (a) that is not respectful according to current cultural norms. The Precious Blood is usually held in a container made of/plated with non-absorbent precious material (like gold). (b) it would cause problems for purification. Respect for the Precious Blood includes drinking ALL of it, and any liquid remaining is washed with water which is also usually drunk.

It is also important from the symbolic value that people receive from a single chalice, as far as possible. Sacraments are signs, and as the Eucharist is the sacrament of unity, this is fittingly expressed by the people receiving from one chalice. This is evident as early as St. Paul, who writes:

[/quote]

THANK YOU!!! Finally an answer to the second part of my question. Also, I have never heard of this spoon thing. I thought it was a reference that I am acting like a baby. YOu can not assume everyone is at the same level in their walk with their Catholic Faith. Making a one liner without explanation sounds like an insult.;)

I am happy to just take the waffer!! :D Unless it is 80 proof wine I doubt the flu is killed. I have two words: BACK WASH! :p As long as I am not getting LESS of the body I am ok with that!! lol :D:p

it is hard enough to worry about any of the consecrated wine spilled from a chalice if someone holding the chalice might trip or fall. how can you control hundreds of little plastic cups being passed around holding consecrated wine? serving grape juice in plastic cups in a protestant communion is one thing, but when it comes to the Catholic Mass, it is completely different.

sometimes i think it would be healthier if we all didn't have to share the same chalice with 50 or 70 other people especially when it is cold or flu season. i like receiving both the body and blood, but i always seem to get a touch of something the week after i receive the "blood". so, sometimes i will refrain and receive the host.

[quote="7_Sorrows, post:9, topic:288224"]
it is hard enough to worry about any of the consecrated wine spilled from a chalice if someone holding the chalice might trip or fall. how can you control hundreds of little plastic cups being passed around holding consecrated wine? serving grape juice in plastic cups in a protestant communion is one thing, but when it comes to the Catholic Mass, it is completely different.

sometimes i think it would be healthier if we all didn't have to share the same chalice with 50 or 70 other people especially when it is cold or flu season. i like receiving both the body and blood, but i always seem to get a touch of something the week after i receive the "blood". so, sometimes i will refrain and receive the host.

[/quote]

Thanks Friend!! I just have NEVER had it before.... :D

[quote="7_Sorrows, post:9, topic:288224"]

[/quote]

We all receive from the same spoon year-round and we don't drop like flies.

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:11, topic:288224"]
We all receive from the same spoon year-round and we don't drop like flies.

[/quote]

you may not drop like a fly, but you can get a bug! ;)

[quote="7_Sorrows, post:12, topic:288224"]

[/quote]

I can't recall getting sick from it ever. My 2 year old son receives as well and he has never gotten sick from it. He was always sick when he was going to daycare, but now that my wife is on maternity leave and he's at home with mom and baby sister, he hasn't been sick since. And he receives weekly like we do.

[quote="JillianRose, post:8, topic:288224"]
THANK YOU!!! Finally an answer to the second part of my question. Also, I have never heard of this spoon thing. I thought it was a reference that I am acting like a baby. YOu can not assume everyone is at the same level in their walk with their Catholic Faith. Making a one liner without explanation sounds like an insult.;)

I am happy to just take the waffer!! :D Unless it is 80 proof wine I doubt the flu is killed. I have two words: BACK WASH! :p As long as I am not getting LESS of the body I am ok with that!! lol :D:p

[/quote]

The way you write about the Sacred Body and Blood in communion sounds a bit too casual and disrespectful to me.

The Host is not usually referred to as a wafer. The whole backwash comment is very unnecessary.

[/quote]

This lack of confidence in the Holy Eucharist is disturbing. Is this attitude of yours common in your parish?

In the Byzantine-Slavonic rite where Constantine (above) worships, the Body and Blood are distributed together, the same golden spoon goes into every mouth and back into the chalice.

They have been doing this for many hundreds of years in just the same way. Millions of people take communion this way still.

Then, after everyone has been served, the priest takes that chalice back to the altar area, and while everyone else is singing the priest consumes the entire remainder, every last drop.

Please don't think of the Holy Eucharist in terms of bugs. Thank God every day that this great gift is yours to share in.

Hello-

Jillian

[/quote]

The canons prescribe that the Precious Blood should preferentially be served from gold, silver or perhaps some other precious metal, but not a common or porous material. I don't have reference at the moment.

Probably substitutions would be ok, if necessary, but it would have to be a special or unavoidable circumstance, like serving Mass in a gulag or on a battlefield or something.

[quote="JillianRose, post:8, topic:288224"]

[/quote]

The way you write about the Sacred Body and Blood in communion sounds a bit too casual and disrespectful to me.

The Host is not usually referred to as a wafer. The whole backwash comment is very unnecessary.

[/quote]

This lack of confidence in the Holy Eucharist is disturbing. Is this attitude of yours common in your parish?

In the Byzantine-Slavonic rite where Constantine (above) worships, the Body and Blood are distributed together, the same golden spoon goes into every mouth and back into the chalice.

They have been doing this for many hundreds of years in just the same way. Millions of people take communion this way still.

Then, after everyone has been served, the priest takes that chalice back to the altar area, and while everyone else is singing the priest consumes the entire remainder, every last drop.

Please don't think of the Holy Eucharist in terms of bugs. Thank God every day that this great gift is yours to share in.

[quote="Hesychios, post:16, topic:288224"]

The Host is not usually referred to as a wafer. The whole backwash comment is very unnecessary. This lack of confidence in the Holy Eucharist is disturbing. Is this attitude of yours common in your parish?

[/quote]

i wasn't referring to bugs as in insects. i was referring to bugs as in colds, influenzas and intestinal upsets which can be commonly spread by eating or drinking after a sick person.
did not mean to offend.

[quote="Hesychios, post:16, topic:288224"]

[/quote]

It is indeed possible to get sick from the Holy Eucharist. A priest in NY a few years ago got Hep A from a person in his congregation drinking from the chalice. The entire congregation had to be informed and a public health announcement was sent out. Just like the accidents of the wine and bread remain, so too can bacteria and viruses, on the cup and in backwash. :shrug:

It doesn't really bother me that much, but I normally just refrain from the chalice anyway as I often have a baby in my arms and either don't have the hands to take the cup or don't want to risk an accident (child grabbing or spilling).

[quote="ConstantineTG, post:13, topic:288224"]
I can't recall getting sick from it ever. My 2 year old son receives as well and he has never gotten sick from it. He was always sick when he was going to daycare, but now that my wife is on maternity leave and he's at home with mom and baby sister, he hasn't been sick since. And he receives weekly like we do.

[/quote]

Does your church allow communion different then the RCC? We do not allow children to take communion until third grade. (After they make their Holy Communion.) Just wondering.

[quote="jilly4ski, post:18, topic:288224"]
It is indeed possible to get sick from the Holy Eucharist. A priest in NY a few years ago got Hep A from a person in his congregation drinking from the chalice. The entire congregation had to be informed and a public health announcement was sent out. Just like the accidents of the wine and bread remain, so too can bacteria and viruses, on the cup and in backwash. :shrug:

It doesn't really bother me that much, but I normally just refrain from the chalice anyway as I often have a baby in my arms and either don't have the hands to take the cup or don't want to risk an accident (child grabbing or spilling).

[/quote]

yes, that would be a worse case scenario! i definitey wouldn't want Hepatitis A or worse!

i try to sit as near to the front as possible so that not too many people drink from the chalice before me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.