The Way

Hello-

I have just received notice that our parish is implementing a new program at the advice of our parish priest. I had never heard about it until now and I am getting concerned - The Neocatechumanal Way.

I've read these threads that state some concerns:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=91153&highlight=neocatechumenal
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=92543&highlight=neocatechumenal

And then I've also read some things that state Pope Benedict XVI is in high praise of the movement:
zenit.org/rssenglish-24763

All of these discussions are a bit dated though. Does anyone have any experience with this or can alleviate my fears?

bump? :)

I am unsure if you are still looking for information, but i'll do my best to answer the main concerns addressed in the two topics.

The first topic you posted has to do with the letter of Cardinal Arinze, which involves the celebration of the liturgy.

The first has to do with the timing of the mass, since each eucharest is the celebration of passover, which occurs in the night between the Saturday-Sunday, the communities celebrate the eucharest after the first vespers on Sunday, which are around 5:00ish pm on Saturday. So liturgically after this period it is considered Sunday, which is why there are Saturday masses after that period. These masses are part of the pastoral of the parish, and so they are open to all the faithful.

The sign of peace has been moved to before the beginning of the offertory, to after the prayers of the faithful in accordance with the gospel regarding seeking forgiveness before going to the altar. This is a change which Benedict has considered for the entire church, (I am unsure where this has gone since then, but it exists.) p§ 49 (note 150)

In my experience, I have never heard parts of the Eucharistic prayer omitted, and the statutes reaffirm the need to follow the approved books for the liturgy.

In the 'Way' there is the introduction of the echoes, this is a chance for the gathered faithfull to express where they see the gospel concretely in their lives. It is very simple for it to sound like an homily when plural pronouns are used as in (we should, instead of I should.)

the sign of communion changed from the letter of Arinze to where it is now. The current, approved, method is for the faithful to stand at their place and then receive the Body/Blood.

The basic question is, is it Legitimate? Yes

It has been approved by the church and granted public juridical personality, and any action (contained within the statutes) are done "In the name of the church."

Now, in terms of your experience, you will have to be the judge of that, as people are different, so are the experiences.

They seem to be a positive movement and I'm sure they have helped a lot of people grow closer to the Lord and be more fervent in the practice of their Faith.

The only negative thing I've heard directly about them is that one particular group of them were booted out of a parish where they had been initially welcomed because -- as an organization and after only a very short time there -- they kept offering unsolicited and unwanted advice to the pastor--- telling him what was wrong with his parish and what he should do to fix it. Pastors don't take to kindly to that kind of thing.

[quote="Jennifer123, post:1, topic:179100"]
Hello-

I have just received notice that our parish is implementing a new program at the advice of our parish priest. I had never heard about it until now and I am getting concerned - The Neocatechumanal Way.

I've read these threads that state some concerns:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=91153&highlight=neocatechumenal
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=92543&highlight=neocatechumenal

And then I've also read some things that state Pope Benedict XVI is in high praise of the movement:
zenit.org/rssenglish-24763

All of these discussions are a bit dated though. Does anyone have any experience with this or can alleviate my fears?

[/quote]

Pope Benedict XVI -- yes he has had good things to say. it was approved by the Holy See.

I think this link I found will be helpful.

catholic.org/international/international_story.php?id=28056

camminoneocatecumenale.it/new/default.asp?lang=en

christusrex.org/www2/ncw/

Hey there the Neo-cathechumenal way is the best thing for any Christian out there searching for a deeper understanding of their life, and of their fatih.It is fantastic and i would truly encourage all to go to it.I myself have been part of it for for years.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.