The Weight

I am not the most fit fellow I know. I have more than just a few extra pounds. Here lately, though, I have been going the gym, walking, biking, lifting weights and, relatively recently, swimming in the pool. Now, don’t let anyone fool you – swimming laps isn’t easy! Even for a young guy like me, one lap leaves me tired and out of breath! :o Of course, it doesn’t help that I am out of shape.

The other day, I managed to swim 23 laps in about 25 minutes time, which was really good for me! However, you can imagine how tired I was! So, when I climbed out of the pool, I didn’t expect to feel the effect of my weight and gravity bearing down on me! I could definitely feel those “few extra pounds” weighing me down, making every step a pronounced effort.

This got me to thinking about the spiritual life. What “extra pounds” am I carrying around in my soul? Physical weight – and gravity – are one thing, but the weight of sin – when you really, truly consider what sin does to the soul – is so very, very heavy. I am glad that I have someone to help me carry it!

What a wonderful analogy! I think I’m going to ponder that one for a while.

Great thoughts. Really hit home for me…

That is an absolutely beautful analogy!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.