The whore of Babylon

We often hear that Protestants claim that the Catholic Church is the whore of Babylon. Here is a very good Catholic article that explains the truth.

catholicbible101.com/thewhoreofbabylon.htm

That is an excellent article. For more in depth on the Catholic reading of Revelation read Scott Hahn’s The Lamb’s Supper, Michael Barber’s Coming Soon and Brant Pitre has a very good audio course called Jesus and the End Times.

store.catholicproductions.com/jesus-and-the-end-times-a-catholic-view-of-the-last-days-cd/

Interesting, but it states:

And who destroyed the Whore of Babylon? Babylon did, which was pagan Rome. Babylon is a code name for Rome,

Scott Hahn makes a good case the “Babylon” is a reference to the corrupted apostate Jerusalem.

defendingthebride.com/ch/whore2.html#prophets

I’m under the impression that this brand of anti-Catholicism is in decline, and has been for some time. Am I wrong?

The whore of Babylon is Jerusalem prior it’s destruction by Rome. Jeff Cavins agrees.

-Tim-

Guess it depends where you live. A spin of the radio dial on Sunday morning in the Bible belt seems to suggest it is still around. :slight_smile:

:thumbsup:It depends on where you are. I live in the deep South Bible Belt and it’s still regularly encountered and even preached on TV. We may be making some headway, but it’s a long way from dead and buried.

Ive come to believe this refers to the US. I know this may not sit well with alot of people, but when you read over the many bible verses that give us ‘hints’ at who/what this whore is, literally every single one fit with it being the US.

I think some of the main ones, are…

‘those living in ‘the whore’ will not be able to recognize it.
’ It will be a melting pot of people from all nations on the planet’.
‘its evil and immorality will spread to other nations and corrupt them as well’.
’ the ‘whore’ will have alot of sea ports, deal in alot of exporting/importing.

If you read over all these, you will see there is not any other nation on the planet currently that fits so perfectly! The only thing I wondered about, was if the US is NOT the whore, then it is likely going to be a similar nation that does not currently exist though, although this would imply that the end times are extremely far off.

Some time ago, I posted a very long list of bible verse that point to the identity of the whore, I would have to look for it, but if anyones interested, I could re-post it here…it SHOCKED me to read many of them, it was like an OMG moment!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.