The WORKS Bible verses collection. Please add your favorite verses

The WORKS Bible verses collection.

I would like to create a WORKS Bible verses collection here in this thread.

I know supernatural faith and hope are required to get to Heaven (and we could do those verses in another thread), and we receive this supernatural faith and hope (and supernatural charity) when we are Baptized.

But here on this thread I just want a collection of Scripture verses that highlight the need or at least the importance of works in the economy of salvation.

This thread will be useful for Catholic apologists when discussing these issues.

I will toss in a couple of verses and I ask “yall” here to add Scripture verses as well to get things started.

Thanks and God bless.

Cathoholic

JOHN 5:29 And they that have done good things, shall come forth unto the resurrection of life; but they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of judgment.

MATTHEW 7:21 21 "Not every one who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.

Great idea! :thumbsup:

]He has showed you, O man, what is good;
and what does the LORD require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God? Mic 6:8–9

This is just one of my many ‘favorites’.

John 11-25
"Jesus said to her, “I am the Resurrection and the Life.
Whoever believes in Me will live, even though he dies;
And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.”

God Bless , Memaw

Here’s my favorite ‘works’ verse:

Ephesians 2:8-9 (RSV)

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and this is not your own doing, it is the gift of God— 9 not because of works, lest any man should boast.

:tsktsk: Finish St. Paul’s thought. Verse 10:

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

It seems like there are two doctrines under discussion in this thread: salvation and sanctification.

The doctrine of Salvation is faith based. It says that everyone is in a desperate state. We are separated from God as a result of sin and a slave to sin. We can do our best to reform and “clean up our act” by doing wonderful works but that is like putting clean water in a dirty glass. The sinless Christ paid for our sins and exchanged our dirty glass for a clean one. Only through faith then, can we accept Christ’s gift.

The doctrine of Sanctification is works based. Now that we have a clean glass, what will we put in it? Our gratitude for Christ’s gift should lead us to want to cooperate with God in the work He is doing and put that in our glass.

In my humble opinion, that is how both parts of the verse quoted above work hand in hand.

Protestants are likely to question salvation being received through baptism. At least, many of the denominations I know and have worshipped with over the years would. You might want to also collect verses supporting baptism as the means to salvation verses baptism as identification with Christ’s death and resurrection after salvation. Protestant Churches do indeed “christen” infants but I am not sure that there is a sense of anything salvific taking place.

Memaw, I like to pair your verse with this one:

Jesus answered them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent. Jn 6:29

JOHN 3:19-21, 36 . . . 19 And this is the judgment, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For every one who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does what is true comes to the light, that it may be clearly seen that his deeds have been wrought in God. . . . . 36 He who believes in the Son has eternal life; he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God rests upon him.

Below Jesus is talking to people who have God as their “Father” (these people who Jesus is talking to have some sort of a relationship with God to such an extent where Jesus refers to God as their “Father”).

MATTHEW 6:9-15 9 Pray then like this: Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, On earth as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread; 12 And forgive us our debts, As we also have forgiven our debtors; 13 And lead us not into temptation, But deliver us from evil. 14 For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you; 15 but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

MATTHEW 12:35-37 35 The good man out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil man out of his evil treasure brings forth evil. 36 I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter; 37 for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

ROMANS 2:5-8 5 But by your hard and impenitent heart you are storing up wrath for yourself on the day of wrath when God’s righteous judgment will be revealed. 6 For he will render to every man according to his works: 7 to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; 8 but for those who are factious and do not obey the truth, but obey wickedness, there will be wrath and fury.

2nd THESSALONIANS 2:13** 13 But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God chose you from the beginning to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.

Rev 20:12 I saw the dead, the great and the lowly, standing before the throne, and scrolls were opened. Then another scroll was opened, the book of life. The dead were judged according to their deeds, by what was written in the scrolls.

James 2:14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works?** Can that faith save him?** 15 If a brother or sister has nothing to wear and has no food for the day, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, keep warm, and eat well,” but you do not give them the necessities of the body, what good is it? 17 So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 Indeed someone might say, “You have faith and I have works.” Demonstrate your faith to me without works, and** I will demonstrate my faith to you from my works**. 19 You believe that God is one. You do well. Even the demons believe that and tremble. 20 Do you want proof, you ignoramus, that** faith without works is useless**? 21 Was not **Abraham our father justified by works **when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by the works. 23 Thus the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called “the friend of God.” 24 See how a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 And in the same way, was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she welcomed the messengers and sent them out by a different route? 26 For just as a body without a spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

John 14:15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.

Romans 1:5 Through him we have received the grace of apostleship, **to bring about the obedience of faith, **for the sake of his name, among all the Gentiles,

Gal 5:6 For in Christ Jesus, neither circumcision nor uncircumcision counts for anything, but only faith working through love.

1 Cor 13:1 If I speak in human and angelic tongues but do not have love, I am a resounding gong or a clashing cymbal. 2 And if I have the gift of prophecy and comprehend all mysteries and all knowledge;** if I have all faith so as to move mountains but do not have love, I am nothing. **3 If I give away everything I own, and if I hand my body over so that I may boast but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Matthew 25:31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit upon his glorious throne, 32 and all the nations will be assembled before him. And he will separate them one from another, as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will place the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34 Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father. Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 When did we see you ill or in prison, and visit you?’ 40 And the king will say to them in reply, ‘Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me.’ 41 Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you accursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, 43 a stranger and you gave me no welcome, naked and you gave me no clothing, ill and in prison, and you did not care for me.’ 44 Then they will answer and say, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and not minister to your needs?’ 45 He will answer them, **‘Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.’ 46 And these will go off to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” **

I thought I would run a quick search on the word “strive”. Interesting results.

24 “Strive to enter by the narrow door;Lk. 13:24

“I appeal to you, brethren, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God on my behalf…” Ro 15:30

“I may hear of you that you stand firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel” Php 1:27

“For this I toil, striving with all the energy which he mightily inspires within me.” Col 1:29

"For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, especially of those who believe."1 Ti 4:10

“Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, that no one fall by the same sort of disobedience”. Heb 4:11–12

4 Strive for peace with all men, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord. Heb 12:14–15

“So with yourselves, sincce you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in builgind up the Church.” 1 Co 14:12
"For this very reason make every effort to supplement your faith…2 Pe 1:5

When we enter into the family of God, yes Jesus is our Lord and Savior, etc. But He is also really our eldest (first-born) brother (and the Blessed Virgin Mary really our spiritual Mother).

St. Paul matter-of-factly talks of it this way . . . .

ROMANS 8:29 29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the first-born among many brethren.

From today’s reading in the Mass (actually technically now yesterday’s) we see this . . .

LUKE 8:21a “My mother and my brothers
are those who hear the word of God and . . . .

“and” . . . . what?

Fortunately St. Luke tells us “and” what in the second portion of this verse.

LUKE 8:19-21 The mother of Jesus and his brothers came to him
but were unable to join him because of the crowd.
He was told, “Your mother and your brothers are standing outside
and they wish to see you.”
He said to them in reply, “My mother and my brothers
are those who hear the word of God and act on it.”

(Jesus’ Mother incidentally, “acts” on the “word of God” par excellence.)

Also Revelation 12:17 alludes to this concept . . .

REVELATION 12:17 17 Then the dragon was angry with the woman, and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and bear testimony to Jesus. And he stood on the sand of the sea.

And again this from today’s Mass readings (Latin Rite) . . . .

PROVERBS 21:3 3 To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.

As ZZ912 stated elsewhere on this thread (citing John 14:15); “If you love me, you will keep my commandments (John 15:14 says the same basic thing: “You are my friends IF you do what I command you.”—Easy to remember: John 14:15 and John 15:14).

Let’s look at John 14:15 with more context as it provoked a question from Judas Iscariot . . . .

Listen to Jesus and what He teaches. Then Judas’ question apparently provoked by this. And then Jesus reaffirming this concept:

JOHN 14:15-23 15 "If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him; you know him, for he dwells with you, and will be in you. 18 “I will not leave you desolate; I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while, and the world will see me no more, but you will see me; because I live, you will live also. 20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21 He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” 22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?” 23 Jesus answered him, "If a man loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.

In 1st Timothy 2:15, women are called to CONTINUE in love (remember if you love Jesus, you will keep His commandments). Not that men are exempt from the need to love God. Just that this verse has to do with women.

Women are called to “continue” not only in faith, but in love and holiness with modesty too.

1st TIMOTHY 2:13-15 13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve; 14 and Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor. 15 Yet woman will be saved through bearing children, if she continues in faith and love and holiness, with modesty.

**Tobit 12:7b **

Do good, and evil will not overtake you.

Ephesians 2:10

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

Acts 9:36

36 Now there was at Joppa a disciple named Tabitha, which means Dorcas or Gazelle. She was full of good works and acts of charity.

Hebrews 10:24

24 and let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works

Revelation 20:12-13

12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Also another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, by what they had done. 13 And the sea gave up the dead in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead in them, and all were judged by what they had done.

I note that Christian “good works” are entirely separate from the empty Pharisaic “works of the law.”

John 5

37 And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness to me. His voice you have never heard, his form you have never seen; **38 **and you do not have his word abiding in you, for you do not believe him whom he has sent. **39 **You search the scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness to me; **40 **yet you refuse to come to me that you may have life.

1st TIMOTHY 4:16 16 Take heed to yourself and to your teaching; hold to that, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers.

You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone.
(James 2:24 RSV-CE)

You are my friends if you do what I command you.
(John 15:14 RSV-CE)

And let our people learn to apply themselves to good deeds, so as to help cases of urgent need, and not to be unfruitful.
(Titus 3:14 RSV-CE)

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.
(Matthew 5:16 RSV-CE)

They are to do good, to be rich in good deeds, liberal and generous, thus laying up for themselves a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of the life which is life indeed.
(1 Timothy 6:18-19 RSV-CE)

And behold, one came up to him, saying, “Teacher, what good deed must I do, to have eternal life?” And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.” He said to him, “Which?” And Jesus said, “You shall not kill, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” The young man said to him, “All these I have observed; what do I still lack?” Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”
(Matthew 19:16-21 RSV-CE)

“Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you? Every one who comes to me and hears my words and does them, I will show you what he is like: he is like a man building a house, who dug deep, and laid the foundation upon rock; and when a flood arose, the stream broke against that house, and could not shake it, because it had been well built. But he who hears and does not do them is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation; against which the stream broke, and immediately it fell, and the ruin of that house was great.”
(Luke 6:46-49 RSV-CE)

Matthew 3:8-10

8 Bear fruit that befits repentance, 9 and do not presume to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father’; for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham. 10 Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees; every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.

Luke 3:8-9

Bear fruits that befit repentance, and do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father’; for I tell you, God is able from these stones to raise up children to Abraham. 9 Even now the axe is laid to the root of the trees; every tree therefore that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.”

5 For this very reason **make every effort **to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge, 6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness, 7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, they keep you from being ineffective or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For whoever lacks these things is blind and shortsighted and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins. 10 Therefore, brethren, be the more zealous to confirm your call and election, for if you do this you will never fall; 11 so there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 2 Peter 1:5–12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.