The World of Jack T. Chick

While going to some clubs the night before Thanksgiving, some guys were standing in a group next to one. Where I live, the city there is a big group of clubs with many people drinking and doing stupid things.

I saw one from one of my classes and guess what he handed me… a Chick Tract! It wasn’t any of the anti-Catholic ones. I did take it home and show it to the family. don’t know how people can actually believe it, but I read it. I just thought I’d share and know if anyone remembered getting their first Chick tract.

Those are funny.

[quote=Sub-Zero]While going to some clubs the night before Thanksgiving, some guys were standing in a group next to one. Where I live, the city there is a big group of clubs with many people drinking and doing stupid things.

I saw one from one of my classes and guess what he handed me… a Chick Tract! It wasn’t any of the anti-Catholic ones. I did take it home and show it to the family. don’t know how people can actually believe it, but I read it. I just thought I’d share and know if anyone remembered getting their first Chick tract.
[/quote]

So what tract was it?

I’ve never been given one. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in real life. I have seen them online though, mostly at the rpg.net site where posters sometimes mock them.

It was “The Lost Tomb”. I actually saw one on the net where it was a tract for Cthulu from H.P Lovecraft’s stories. I found it to be hilarious (Even though I never read much Lovecraft) :thumbsup:

I’ve been plotting for the day that I receive a chick tract from a door-to-door type. I’ve thought maybe I’ll refuse it. Usually I will take whatever tract it is and add it to my collection of such literature, perhaps to offer a tract in return, but I detest the few chick tracts I’ve seen.

They don’t inspire a man to goodness and faith.

Oh, more on topic, Karl Keating mailed me my first Chick tract.:Dheh heh heh.

I saw Chick tracts for the first time in a Christian book store. I was young an impressionable - thought that anything in print was proof of a claim.

I went around for a few years thinking all his claims were true. After all, why would a Christian lie - it must be true. It took years to realize that his claims just weren’t logical.

[quote=Sub-Zero]It was “The Lost Tomb”. I actually saw one on the net where it was a tract for Cthulu from H.P Lovecraft’s stories. I found it to be hilarious (Even though I never read much Lovecraft) :thumbsup:
[/quote]

I don’t see that title? Do you maybe mean The Empty Tomb ?

tee

[quote=Pug]I’ve been plotting for the day that I receive a chick tract from a door-to-door type. I’ve thought maybe I’ll refuse it. Usually I will take whatever tract it is and add it to my collection of such literature, perhaps to offer a tract in return, but I detest the few chick tracts I’ve seen.

They don’t inspire a man to goodness and faith.

Oh, more on topic, Karl Keating mailed me my first Chick tract.:Dheh heh heh.
[/quote]

I also got my first Chick tract from Karl Keating :eek: !

My first ‘evangelizing’ one was this year. I asked him, putting it mildly, if he knew what he was distributing. He replied yes that Chick was a personal friend of his! Lord have mercy!

I have never gotten one. I never even heard of them until I discovered messageboards! I never even knew all the anti-Catholic bias that’s out in the world until about 10 or so years ago. I can’t really keep track of the years… It was around the time of the MBs. Guess I was just lucky! But talk about a culture shock!

I don’t think I’ve ever been handed one, but I’ve found tons in laundromats, phone booths, and public restrooms.

If you want to fight fire with fire (substituting truth and charity for Chick’s lies and hate), here’s a place to get inexpensive Catholic tracts:

grottopress.org/Tracts/tracts.html

[quote=Fidelis]I don’t think I’ve ever been handed one, but I’ve found tons in laundromats, phone booths, and public restrooms.

If you want to fight fire with fire (substituting truth and charity for Chick’s lies and hate), here’s a place to get inexpensive Catholic tracts:

grottopress.org/Tracts/tracts.html
[/quote]

Thanks for the link! I think every good Catholic should take as many Chick tracts as they can, and flush them! This way, it will be that many more out of circulation :slight_smile: Even ask the door-to-door person for a stack to give to your relatives :slight_smile: I have ordered free pro-abortion postcards just so that they wouldn’t be mailed. If they’re in my hands, they’re not going anywhere!

[quote=CatholicSam]Thanks for the link! I think every good Catholic should take as many Chick tracts as they can, and flush them! This way, it will be that many more out of circulation :slight_smile: Even ask the door-to-door person for a stack to give to your relatives :slight_smile: I have ordered free pro-abortion postcards just so that they wouldn’t be mailed. If they’re in my hands, they’re not going anywhere!
[/quote]

But then maybe you create more demand for them.

As for when I got my first Chick tract…I don’t know. I’ve been seeing them around everywhere in public places since I was a kid.

I remember looking at one as a child one time in church, though, and laughing at the name “Chick Publications” with my sister.

sorry I was scrolling and read only part of the headline “got my first chick” thought it was a discussion of raising poultry (right)

is it possible those horrible amateurish comics we used to get from the rabidly anti-Catholic Pentecostal church at the end of our street when we were kids were by Jack Chick? How old is he?

[quote=sea oat]But then maybe you create more demand for them.

[/quote]

They might *think * they’re in higher demand, but there won’t really be any more people seriously interested in handing them out than there were before :slight_smile: My husband just did a quick look at the economics behind this, and the end result would be that money would be taken out of their ministry (not very much at all, but on a bigger scale and in the long run, it would).

[quote=puzzleannie]sorry I was scrolling and read only part of the headline “got my first chick” thought it was a discussion of raising poultry (right)

is it possible those horrible amateurish comics we used to get from the rabidly anti-Catholic Pentecostal church at the end of our street when we were kids were by Jack Chick? How old is he?
[/quote]

Everything you need to know about this poor crank:
The Nightmare World of Jack T. Chick
catholic.com/library/sr_chick_tracts_p1.asp

I vividly remember the first one I saw. I was working in a restaurant and my Aunt worked there too. I found that really horrible one (the one where the Catholic guy dies and goes to h***) and it horrified me. I showed it to my Aunt and we took it back into the kitchen and burned it in the sink. Boy did that feel good!!

It gave me a whole new perspective on being purified by fire! :wink:

[quote=CatholicSam]They might *think * they’re in higher demand, but there won’t really be any more people seriously interested in handing them out than there were before :slight_smile: My husband just did a quick look at the economics behind this, and the end result would be that money would be taken out of their ministry (not very much at all, but on a bigger scale and in the long run, it would).
[/quote]

Oh. I wonder if anybody out there tries to put Catholic tracts out of circulation in the same manner…:hmmm:

[quote=sea oat]Oh. I wonder if anybody out there tries to put Catholic tracts out of circulation in the same manner…:hmmm:
[/quote]

Probably, but hopefully the Catholic tracts plant a seed of faith in the minds of everyone who sees them :slight_smile:

My kids got an anti-halloween Chick tract in their “loot bags” last Halloween. I also visited a Baptist friend’s church (on a Wednesday) and they were handing out one about a guy who dies and goes to heaven only to find his co-workers have gone to hell because of his failure to share the gospel with them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.