The worst enemy of the Church

The worst enemy of the church today is the vast tide of lukewarm believers, casual agnostics, and “secular humanists” who have not yet been challenged as to their spirituality.

When I read the title of your thread that is the first thing that popped into my head as well.

and add to that list, uncatechized apologetics…sometimes, while their passion is undeniable, there is a tendency not to defend the faith with sound understanding of doctrine, but to argue loudly and foolishly.

Was it Mark Twain who said, “It is better to remain silent and appear foolish than to open your mouth and remove all doubt”?

Clearly the devil is hard at work!

Scripture Ephesians 6:12 says:

** For our struggle is not against flesh and blood,** but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

The comment about Mark Twain… he took that quote from Proverbs 17:28 and rearranged it a bit.

Our worst enemy is sin and death, just as it always has been! The lukewarm, the agnostics, the secularists, ought to be prayed for. They damage themselves more than the Church! These smaller enemies are in such spiritual peril! If we could see the state of the souls of this world, no doubt we would be too busy weeping and sobbing for them to call them our enemies. And that is after we have wept to see the state of our own souls!

Following quote from an article about St. Francis of Assisi. Link here:
americamagazine.org/content/all-things/feast-st-francis-assisi

"At his death, Francesco asks to be laid on the bare earth near a favorite chapel in the woods and to be dressed in an old grey habit. On October 4, he welcomes “Brother Death.” "

…Or did you (SighGuy) mean that the wages of sin is death, just as Scripture states?

Death is not the enemy when you are a Christian.

1 Corinthians 15:55-57:

55 O death, where is your victory?
O death, where is your sting?

56 For sin is the sting that results in death, and the law gives sin its power. 57 But thank God! He gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ.

The message to the Church at Laodicea comes to mind:

14* "And to the angel of the church in La-odicea write: 'The words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God’s creation. 15 "'I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were cold or hot! 16 So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew you out of my mouth …

Revelation 3:14-16

I agree 100%

I see far too many fair weather christians today, they will go to mass and say they are catholic, but that is about as far as they are willing to go, they are too concerned with their own little cul de sac worlds that revolve around kids soccer practice and their latest exercise class…Id like to know how often these christians try to get people to join them at mass, or talk about the bible, use scripture in conversations, etc. this rarely happens in modern times.

Proof enough to me that Satan is winning over more and more people every day! He has convinced them going to mass once a week is enough, and they actually believe that!

I was in reference to death in its spiritual connotation, not its corporal connotation. Spiritual death, not the death of the body, is our enemy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.