The wrath of Peter and Paul?

In reading Quo Primum, I see that Pius V ended his bull by saying

Therefore, no one whosoever is permitted to alter this notice of Our permission, statute, ordinance, command, precept, grant, indult, declaration, will, decree, and prohibition. Should know that he will incur the wrath of Almighty God and of the Blessed Apostles Peter and Paul.

[LIST=1]
*]Is the translation correct here?
*]Do any other documents invoke the wrath of saints?
*]Is there a basis for this in Church teaching, i.e. what form might we expect the wrath of Peter and Paul to take?
[/LIST]

In one or two of his epistles, St. Paul called on a person to be declared anathema for not adhering to the Church’s beliefs. Recall in his First Letter to the Corinthians his strong rebuke against those who unworthily partake of Holy Communion. In Galatians, he also showed his wrath.

St. Peter, too, displayed wrath in the Acts of the Apostles against Annanias who, along with his wife, had lied to him. If I recall, both the husband and wife were struck dead.

What Pope St. Pius V was saying, as I read the statement, in an extreme and forceful way, was that whoever deviated from the liturgical practices should be declared anathema.

Exactly the same language, including invoking the wrath of Ss Peter and Paul, in the bull Quod a nobis, promulgating the Pian Breviary.

Popes Pius X and XII paid no attention to it at all when they revised the Breviary in 1911, including a radically different distribution of the Psalter.

Why does Quo primum have stronger force than the bull Quod a nobis by the same pope, using the same language, that promulgated the Breviary?

I’ve never been able to get an answer to that question.

BTW–you may find this article interesting:

ewtn.com/library/liturgy/zlitur149.htm

Interesting. Thanks for the replies.

I believe that in the statement Pius is actually invoking the wrath of Peter and Paul against those who would alter his bull or notice, not against those who deviate from the new missal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.