"TheMercifulServant" "10 Reasons Why Jesus Is Not God!"

youtube.com/watch?v=pCuxnu_IGUk

I wrote a 2,515 word rebuttal of this (13,557 characters) but I’m not going to post it here because it might take up too much space. Though, perhaps I’ll post it later or maybe find a place where I can link you the rebuttal. Anyway, what are your responses to this video? What are your refutations and objections to it?

Let me just warn you, a lot of the verses are taken badly taken out of context. Not just a simple mistake, but like really bad! He quotes a certain verses to prove his point, but he didn’t even quote the full verse and when you read the entire verse it absolutely destroys everything he is trying to say. Muslims seem to be really good at cherry picking certain things they like in the Bible and just throwing out everything else. It’s ridiculous. But it was by far the worst here. I’m just warning you. It’s baaaaaad.

I’ve seen much Muslim apologetic work on the Trinity and on the deity of Christ. Let me say, I’m not impressed. I’ve watched some stuff from TheMercifulServant to learn about what Islam believes, and those are pretty good resources.

If you do post a link, Philosopher, I’d certainly read it. :thumbsup:

Could I email you it? (Please take note that it is a little unorganized because I went on to refute every point in the video, so it may jump from one thing to another. It would be a lot better to read it in the context of the video)

Sure! That would be great. I might as well share my personal e-mail here, I primarily use it to get updates and sign up for websites.

My e-mail is espydig@yahoo.com

I sent it.

I might start off with a question like, Why do Muslims worship Mohamed as God? After all only God can be blasphemed, yet Muslims allow atheist to exist in their countries, but kill anyone who blasphemes Mohamed.

Jesus was explicit many times about himself being God. The mystery of the incarnation is wonderful as foretold in Daniel CHP7, Isaiah Chp 7 and elsewhere. The following list will be short. Jesus said, “before Abraham was I AM”. Many Jews picked up rocks to stone him at that time because Jesus claimed to be God. St. Thomas said to Jesus, “My Lord and my God”, and Jesus did not correct him. In Jn 20 Jesus breathed the spiritual life of the sacramental priesthood into his disciples just like God breathed life into Adam.

To say God is all powerful, but he is not so powerful that He who created all things could not assume a human nature to himself and walk among His people and let them know they are not alone in their suffering is to believe in a weak God. That is Allah to Muslim a wrathful impotent god with more similarities to a Greek Olymplian god and to the Christian God who has revealed himself to mankind and taught us what oneness means to an infinite being.

Thank you. I have it in my inbox. Likely, I will read it tomorrow alongside the video, as it’s getting pretty late here.

God bless!

Allah is the Arabic word for God (Ask Bishop Nicholas for the Eparchy of Newton), used by Christians, Muslims, and Jews. Muslims believe Mohammed is a prophet of God but do not worship him as such. I do not agree with their religion (in fact, I can show multiple places where they are wrong) but you wouldn’t want folks to take your beliefs out of context, don’t do it to them.

I meant to add that Jesus was crucified because He stated He was God. Just because He used Semitic expressions makes no difference. The Jews that judged Jesus knew without a doubt what Jesus was claiming.

The dead sea scrolls were not writings from Christians, but a Jewish sect, and most of those writings were written before the birth of Christ. Jesus also stated that how one is to worship is going to change read John chapter 4 and the woman at the well.

To see Jesus talking about the Trinity read John chapters 14-17.

The speaker goes on to say that Jesus prayed and the speaker makes a claim that God is self sufficient, so Jesus engaging in prayer disqualifies him as being God. Just notice how the speaker is constantly applying attributes to God as if the speaker was god. I mean pause and consider the statement that God would not communicate with Himself (aka prayer). What would an all eternal infinite being do? The only being God could love and know infinitely is himself, as creation is finite. God knows himself infinitely and that image of God is the second person of the Trinity, Jesus. The all eternal image of himself exist eternally from the Father, and is a person and those two persons (one God) love each other and that sigh between them is the Holy Spirit which has always existed infinitely. The oneness of an infinite being revealed to us by Jesus Himself exist of three persons. Read john chapter 1.

They seemingly do it to us, a lot of time claiming Christians believe Jesus is the same as the Father. They actually kind of do it in the video when Jesus says in “I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.” The speaker then says “How can he ascend to himself?”

Do you also know what I just realized about that verses (John 20:17)? Jesus said that after the resurrection, but Muslims don’t believe Christ was resurrected because they believe he was never crucified. So how can they believe he said that and use it as an attack against Christianity? Just goes to show that Muslims cherry picks the verses they like, and throw every thing else away. It’s almost as if they’re determining what is right and wrong as they go along, as if they’re deciding what is corrupted and what is not as they go along.

This is my rebuttal for them…
[click to enlarge]

The speaker has forgotten John 8:18 - 23 (conveniently perhaps)

18 Then they asked him, “Where is your father?”

“You do not know me or my Father,” Jesus replied. “If you knew me, you would know my Father also.” 20 He spoke these words while teaching in the temple courts near the place where the offerings were put. Yet no one seized him, because his hour had not yet come.

21 Once more Jesus said to them, “I am going away, and you will look for me, and you will die in your sin. Where I go, you cannot come.”

22 This made the Jews ask, “Will he kill himself? Is that why he says, ‘Where I go, you cannot come’?”

23 But he continued, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. 24 I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins.”

MJ

I’ve mentioned this on another thread. There maybe a fear or some sort of anxiety in all of this.

MJ

Oh goodness. You could have sent this info via PM.
Please don’t put your email out there.
No telling what crazy people are going to email you! :eek:

I’m glad that this is CAF and not some random forum, at least. Again, it’s my personal e-mail so I rarely use it, luckily.

I read it alongside the video. Good refutations, simple and easy. I think that really all of their refutations are based upon false assumptions (e.g., the Trinity developed late, Paul never saw Jesus, the Trinity is one person, etc).

There are justifications for why Protestants, Messianic Judeo-Christians, most Restorationists and surely others believe that the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (Exodus 3:6, Matthew 22:32) is not also the deity of Islam.

I personally do not accept that idea because Jews, Samaritans and Christians worship the God of the Tetragrammaton, a unique Name (transliterated as Jehovah in Latin, but that’s the incorrect transcription). We all recognize the Most High as that. Also, we all recognize God’s unique revelation and covenant with Israel (though the Samaritans have an altered text).

The Tetragrammaton (YHWH) is an archaic imperfect first person form of “To Be,” related to ehyeh in Hebrew, so the Tetragrammaton would also mean varying things with its context like “I Am Who I Am”/“I Am That I Am” (Exodus 3:14), “I Am He” (John 8:24), or simply “I Am,” (John 8:58). Without context, it means “To Be.”

It is used in every book in the Hebrew Bible, save for Esther and Song of Songs which don’t have much theology. It is unique not only because of its variety, not only because it refers to God, but in the way that Jesus uses it:

Jesus said to them, “Verily, verily, I say to you, before Abraham’s coming—I Am.” (John 8:58, YLT; Italics added)

And immediately after, in John 8:59, the Jews picked up stones that they may stone Him.

Allah is a title: Al-lah, the god. So it is like calling God by that title in English. When Christians and Jews who speak Arabic worship Allah, they worship the God of the Tetragrammaton, Who Christians recognize as the God of Christ, a Trinity. Muslims, however, believe that Allah is the name of the god of Islam, his personal name, not just a title. However, the Tetragrammaton is not a name, it is the Name.

Of course, the CCC teaches differently, so this is not like a refutation or an argument; rather, it is a justification for this teaching.

He didn’t write the scriptures nor does he even believe in the scriptures, so he doesn’t know the meaning of scripture as intended by the inspired authors; only those who have preserved the Tradition of the inspired authors knew the meaning, and taught this universally to the Church faithful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.