Then what is re dedication for?

I came across a poster here and they pointed out that at tent revival services you have the option to be saved or rededicate yourself I would like to know what is the difference.
I hope I spelled that right.

[QUOTEI came across a poster here and they pointed out that at tent revival services you have the option to be saved or rededicate yourself I would like to know what is the difference.
I hope I spelled that right]

In the tent-revival context, re-dedication seems to mean the following.

• It is a way for those who have “backslidden” to repent and make a fresh start with God. Most don’t view it as being saved all over again. Just asking God to forgive them and sort of resolving to do better.

• Also, there are many Christians who aren’t necessarily “backslidden” that answer this call, just as a means of…well…like how some couples renew their vows. They’re already married, but they’re just re-affirming their pledges to each other, their love for each other. etc.

Same sort of thing.

You have to be careful with ‘re-dedications’ because some view it as… well, as what most catholics fear. That they can fall away from Christ and as soon as things get bad they just re-dedicate their life and all is better.

This is not TRUE re-dedication…

I believe that you can have only one, maybe two, re-dedication experiences in your life to make them valid. By believing what I stated above it isn’t a real re-dedication because if you slide back into your ‘old ways’ you were most likely on an emotional high at the time or hit rock bottom and as soon as things start going well again you turn your back on God.

Re-dedication is the realization that you have turned from God to satisfy your own needs and that you need HIM not yourself. It’s for those who have maybe grown up as christians and decided to try life out on their own. When we read the story of the prodigal son did it mention that after he had lived at his father’s house for a while and got back on his feet that he went back into the world only to return again broke and smelling of pigs? No. Once he embraced his father he stayed. I think this can apply to those who re-dedicate themselves.

I can say this because I had that kind of ‘revelation’ just about a year and a half ago. I had turned away and though I still professed to be a christian I really was not leading the life. After leaving the family behind at 18 I wanted to experience life. But with depression that is not always a good combo, especially when you leave God out of it! I did things I am not proud of. I never got seriously out of control but when my now ex boyfriend stole my car because I told him he could borrow it and took off for three days to do drugs and only God knows what else it got me thinking about where I was. I had thrown God out the window. Or at least half of Him.

Jesus says He stands at the door and knocks… do you think that sometimes we invited Him in only to kick Him out later so that we can enjoy the prideful things. Sometimes I am so glad that He stays knocking on the door waiting for me to open that door back up!

Re-dedication is a SERIOUS thing. Almost as serious as your own acceptance of Christ. It’s not something you can go back on lightly. It’s not ‘oops, I sinned. I need to head to confession or ask for forgiveness’ *depending on your beliefs :wink: * It is acknowledging that you shut God out and want Him to come back in.

I hope this makes sense… I rambled in some parts here… :smiley:

yourself I would like to know what is the difference.
I hope I spelled that right]

In the tent-revival context, re-dedication seems to mean the following.

• It is a way for those who have “backslidden” to repent and make a fresh start with God. Most don’t view it as being saved all over again. Just asking God to forgive them and sort of resolving to do better.

• Also, there are many Christians who aren’t necessarily “backslidden” that answer this call, just as a means of…well…like how some couples renew their vows. They’re already married, but they’re just re-affirming their pledges to each other, their love for each other. etc.

Same sort of thing.

So if you are back slidden and you die in this state it does not matter because you are saved.Ok I get it, :shrug:

Can you this elaborate a bit more for me. Because you chose two different things here. I recently renewed my marriage in the church but it was not because I or my husband backslid we did this because we love each other and we both wanted our marriage to be valid in our faith.
Then you used the example of repenting.

But would this not be considered sinful?

No, I don’t believe that it is…

Now before anyone Gufaws I want to explain… God understands us. He knows how we tick. It may be sinful to be prideful and bull headed BUT I don’t believe that it is sinful to shut him out just as He does not punish us for being angry with Him. These are natural reactions but it is what we do within these reactions that are sinful. I think God is big enough to understand that we are going to want to do ‘our own thing’ just as a father would know to step back and let his children screw up. But He is there for us when we realize that ‘our own thing’ wasn’t right and it made things a lot worse rather than better as we initially thought. In a perfect world we would always know that God will take care of things but of course our human nature gets the best of us and we take it into our own hands.

Can you this elaborate a bit more for me. Because you chose two different things here. I recently renewed my marriage in the church but it was not because I or my husband backslid we did this because we love each other and we both wanted our marriage to be valid in our faith.
Then you used the example of repenting.

Um…well, I’m not claiming to be the resident expert on this process by any means. It’s just something I’ve seen and again, it seems as if the person doing the re-dedicating falls into one of the two categories.

1. A person who is “backslidden” or “out of fellowship” with God and wants repent and start again.

2. A person who is **NOT **“out of fellowship” but just wants to renew their commitment to Christ.

So if you are back slidden and you die in this state it does not matter because you are saved.Ok I get it, :shrug:

Er…okay. I didn’t say that and I’m not sure how you got that from my post, but…okay.

Well that is exactly what I am asking what if you are backslidden? What if you die die in this state of unrepentance?

It’s protestants wishing they had the Sacrament of Reconciliation, but just don’t know it!

[Well that is exactly what I am asking what if you are backslidden? What if you die die in this state of unrepentance?/QUOTE]

:shrug:

Depends on who you ask. OSAS folks would say heaven.
It’s up to God. Sorry for the weak answer, but I don’t have a better.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.