Theologians Job

Does anybody know where the high and mighty theologians sit? What im talking about is the people who translate the scriptures and write the bible for the faithful, if there still is any?

If it is possible, and they haven't passed like gas yet :D, where would they be contacted at? I mean how would I be able to join their ranks doing that type of work?

Btw, forgive me of my jokes, I know they are bad, but it try.

Well, I know one high and mighty (well maybe not high and mighty) theologian who sits at my dining room table every day working on her PhD at University of Dayton. Her particular expertise is JPII’s Theology of the Body, new feminism and the feminine genius. I generally get in touch with her by yelling down the stairs.

And of course as soon as she graduates and begin writing and teaching, I intend to retire from my job and live in the lifestyle to which I would like to become accustomed to…oh wait theologians don’t make much money? #$^@&@

Ok, see I thought that it was a group of people that sat around a table in a group somewhere in Italy and just translated the bible all day. Kinda what you see in the movies and the old days :o. Sorry for asking it in that way. I just wanted to know if that type of job would be open, what type of requirement does one need, and who does one contact in the church to get that type of job. :shrug:

[quote="feed_me, post:3, topic:316023"]
Ok, see I thought that it was a group of people that sat around a table in a group somewhere in Italy and just translated the bible all day. Kinda what you see in the movies and the old days :o.

[/quote]

Nope sorry :)

Okay, returning to your original post biblical translation is not (strictly speaking) the job of theologians (such people are normally referred to as scripture scholars) but that aside, should you have a burning desire to become one you'll first need a relevant undergraduate degree which includes scripture studies (for example a Bachelor of Theology or similar) you'd the have to do an advanced degree and ultimately a doctorate in scripture ideally somewhere like the Ecole Biblique in Jerusalem. Oh and you'll also need to become proficient in Ancient Greek, Hebrew and Latin! After that you can look forward to a (not so lucrative) career in university teaching, research and, of course, translating the bible!

On a slightly more serious note, I actually happen to quite enjoy scripture study although (sadly) am far from proficient in any of the above languages!

[quote="McDale721, post:2, topic:316023"]
Well, I know one high and mighty (well maybe not high and mighty) theologian who sits at my dining room table every day working on her PhD at University of Dayton. Her particular expertise is JPII's Theology of the Body, new feminism and the feminine genius. I generally get in touch with her by yelling down the stairs.

And of course as soon as she graduates and begin writing and teaching, I intend to retire from my job and live in the lifestyle to which I would like to become accustomed to...oh wait theologians don't make much money? #$^@&@

[/quote]

UD offers courses on Theology?!?!?!?! AWESOME!!!!

Yep - howdy neighbor - I live over on Wright Pat AFB. UD is a Catholic university offering BA, MA and PhD in Theology. For the PhD, they only require Latin or Greek and one other language (my wife has German, learning Latin). Two and a half years of classwork, two and a half on dissertation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.