Theological, historical, and scientific errors in the Qu'ran

1. The Trinity

In Christianity, God is the Trinity. God has three Persons in Him. The three Persons are the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. (Catechism #253-256)

According to Islam, Christians worship God as a third of three. The three gods are God, Jesus, and Jesus’ mother (Qu’ran 5:72-75, 116)

2. Ezra

In Judaism, Ezra is a honored by Jews as a priestly scribe who led Israel out of exile. (Book of Ezra)

According to Islam, Ezra is worshipped by Jews as a son of God (Qu’ran 9:30)

3. The Sun

In our solar system, the Sun is the star which the Earth orbits. (Science)

According to Islam, the Sun is the star which orbits the Earth. (Qu’ran 13:2)

In the name of Allah , Most Gracious, Most Merciful

A must watch debate for all :slight_smile:

Quran, Bible and Science
Dr Zakir Naik vs Dr William Campbell

ilovezakirnaik.com/videos/quran_bible_and_science_naik_and_campbell.htm

In the name of Allah , Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Dr. Campbell wrote a book with the title “The Qur’an and the Bible in the light of History and Science” in which he has asserted that Qur’anic verses are unscientific where as the passages from the Bible are scientific. In his book, Dr. Campbell also challenged the Muslims to refute his assertions.

This challenge was accepted by Dr. Zakir Naik…

Both these renowned scholars had a public dialogue on the topic “The Bible and the Qur’an in the light of Science” on Saturday, April 01, 2000 in Skokie, Illinois, USA. In this historic event of epic proportions, Dr. Zakir Naik emerged as a winner in his dialogue with Dr. William Campbell

During the rebuttal and subsequent question and answer sessions, Dr. Campbell repeatedly confessed that he was in trouble and that he had no answers to some questions that he was asked. On the other hand, Dr. Naik’s convincing answers to each and every question that was posed to him was widely appreciated.

On a humorous note, Dr. Naik challenged Dr. Campbell to prove himself a true Christian by just reading the phrase “one hundred rupees” in the seventeen languages of India as is depicted on a hundred rupee note of India - in this context, Dr. Naik referred to the claim of the Bible that true Christians can speak in new foreign languages.

Dr. Campbell was speechless at this. He later returned the hundred rupee note when Dr. Naik presented him with a copy of his newly released book, “The Qur’an and Modern Science - Compatible or Incompatible?”. This book authored by Dr. Naik was released by noted Islamic Scholar from Canada, Dr. Jamal Badawi, who was also present at the event.

Dr. William Campbell’s use of overhead and video projection was no match for Dr. Zakir Naik’s charismatic and convincing oratory. A humble Dr. Naik attributed this success to Allah, the Most High.

After watching Dr. Zakir Naik in action, many youth expressed a keen desire to attend the Mumbai-based Islamic Research Foundation’s Da’wah workshops. Dr. Zakir is the President of this foundation and has designed, developed and conducted several Da’wah training workshops.

Another unique feature of this program was that people of all ages, races and gender equally participated and lauded the superlative performance of Dr. Zakir Naik. Many people who had earlier expressed apprehensions about this dialogue came out supporting it in the end.

All who witnessed this historic dialogue will not forget it for a long time to come. This dialogue was organised by the Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA).

Released by ICNA, Chicago, USA

irf.net/irf/videogallery/index.htm

Eucharisted, it is not my wish to defend the Quarn. No, certainly not. But I can’t help but see a gap in your claims… the Bible is not a book of science - nor is the Quarn. Making claims on the grounds of ‘scientific errors’ I find to be slightly hipocritic. For instance, the Firmament in Genesis is supposed to be a physical barrier between Earth and space, though granted some people might claim this was the ozone or something like that. Also, I believe it was stated somewhere also that insects had four legs - an insect has six. Now, does this somehow prove that the Bible is untrue? Not at all. There is not a single error spiritually, for the Bible is a book of faith, but it shouldn’t be understood as one of science.

The speaking of other languages was temporary, and no longer takes place.

You don’t understand: Muslims regard the Qu’ran as a book of science. In other words, the Qu’ran saying the Sun orbits the Earth is regarded as scientific fact by Muslims. Because they believe the Qu’ran is free of any and all errors, even scientific ones.

1 The Trinity

WRONG,the Quran never says the Trinity is God,Mary,Jesus, rather Mary was made Goddess by people

2 Ezra

WRONG…it’s Ozair not Ezra

3-
WRONG 13:2 doesn’t say the Sun orbits the Earth

13:2 It is God who has raised the heavens without any supports that you could see, and is established on the throne of His almightiness; ** and He [it is who] has made the sun and the moon subservient [to His laws], each running its course for a term set [by Him].** He governs all that exists. Clearly does He spell out these messages, so that you might be certain in your innermost that you are destined to meet your Sustainer [on Judgment Day].

By possibly a *small *group of heretical Christians (although I haven’t seen the evidence or sources for this claim - I’m just taking Sister Amy’s word for it.) If the Quran is written by an omniscient God and is to be for all people at all time, I still don’t understand why Allah would focus on this small group of heretical Christians and not the actual beliefs of the Church - that the Trinity is the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Rather than specify and correct what is supposed to be a blatant error of all Christians - worshipping Father, Son & Holy Spirit, Allah does not mention the Holy Spirit, but focuses on something Jesus never said and focuses on a small group of heretical Christians?

Muslims have claimed that the verse that says something to the effect of “say not three, it would be better for you…” or something like that is referring the Trinity and that this verse is what covers Christian belief, however I don’t believe it ever says Father, Son and Holy Spirit - that is just how Muslims today are trying to spin this error. And this also doesn’t address the issue that some Muslims (back then - I don’t know if all of them still do) believed that the Holy Spirit is the Angel Gabriel - which in Christian belief is obviously false.

Hadi,

1. Thank you for supporting what I said.

2. Read this hadith:

(1) Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri: During the lifetime of the Prophet some people said, : O Allah’s Apostle! Shall we see our Lord on the Day of Resurrection?" The Prophet said, “Yes; do you have any difficulty in seeing the sun at midday when it is bright and there is no cloud in the sky?” They replied, “No.” He said, “Do you have any difficulty in seeing the moon on a full moon night when it is bright and there is no cloud in the sky?” They replied, “No.” The Prophet said, "(Similarly) you will have no difficulty in seeing Allah on the Day of Resurrection as you have no difficulty in seeing either of them. On the Day of Resurrection, a call-maker will announce, “Let every nation follow that which they used to worship.” Then none of those who used to worship anything other than Allah like idols and other deities but will fall in Hell (Fire), till there will remain none but those who used to worship Allah, both those who were obedient (i.e. good) and those who were disobedient (i.e. bad) and the remaining party of the people of the Scripture. Then the Jews will be called upon and it will be said to them, ‘Who do you use to worship?’ They will say, ‘We used to worship ezra, the son of Allah.’ It will be said to them, ‘You are liars, for Allah has never taken anyone as a wife or a son. What do you want now?’ They will say, ‘O our Lord! We are thirsty, so give us something to drink.’ They will be directed and addressed thus, ‘Will you drink,’ whereupon they will be gathered unto Hell (Fire) which will look like a mirage whose different sides will be destroying each other. Then they will fall into the Fire. Afterwards the Christians will be called upon and it will be said to them, ‘Who do you use to worship?’ They will say, ‘We used to worship Jesus, the son of Allah.’ It will be said to them, ‘You are liars, for Allah has never taken anyone as a wife or a son,’ Then it will be said to them, ‘What do you want?’ They will say what the former people have said. Then, when there remain (in the gathering) none but those who used to worship Allah (Alone, the real Lord of the Worlds) whether they were obedient or disobedient. Then (Allah) the Lord of the worlds will come to them in a shape nearest to the picture they had in their minds about Him. It will be said, ‘What are you waiting for?’ Every nation have followed what they used to worship.’ They will reply, ‘We left the people in the world when we were in great need of them and we did not take them as friends. Now we are waiting for our Lord Whom we used to worship.’ Allah will say, ‘I am your Lord.’ They will say twice or thrice, ‘We do not worship any besides Allah.’ " (Book #60, Hadith #105)

1. The surah I noted in parentathesises states the Sun has a course. “Course” means movement. In Mohammed’s time, the Sun was believed to orbit the Earth. You Muslims say, in order to understand the Qu’ran it has to be read in the circumstances which it was written in. So, using the circumstances of Mohammed’s time, and, understanding what the word “course” means, I have figured out what the Qu’ran is saying: the Sun orbits the Earth.

Of course, Science has shown that it is not the Sun that orbits the Earth but the Earth that orbits the Sun. So Muslims are faced with a scientific error in the Qu’ran.

QUOTE=Hadi;5195484

2 Ezra

WRONG…it’s Ozair not Ezra

~ **snip **~ …

Not according to the Tafsir:

Chapter 9 [30-35]
The Jews say, "Ezra (`Uzair) is the son of Allah,”**29 **and the Christians say, “The Messiah is the son of God.” Such are the baseless things they utter with their tongues, following in the footsteps of the former unbelievers.

Footnote #29
Uzair (Ezra) lived during the period around 450 B.C.

The Jews regarded him with great reverence as the revivalist of their Scriptures which had beat lost during their captivity in Babylon after the death of Prophet Solomon. So much so that they had lost all the knowledge of their Law, their traditions and of Hebrew, their national language.

Then it was Ezra who re-wrote the Old Testament and revived the Law. That is why they used very exaggerated language in his reverence which misled some of the Jewish sects to make him ‘the son of God’.

The Qur’an, however, does not assert that all the Jews were unanimous in declaring Ezra as ‘the son of God’. What it intends to say is that the perversion in the articles of faith of the Jews concerning Allah had degenerated to such an extent that there were some amongst them who considered Ezra as the son of God.

searchtruth.com/tafsir/tafsir.php?chapter=9

I forgot I found this blog post about Ezra. Feel free to comment on it:
sillyallah.com/2008/01/ezra-uzair-and-next-quran-error.html

Qu’ran 9:36
Surely the number of months with Allah is twelve months in Allah’s ordinance since the day when He created the heavens and the earth, of these four being sacred; that is the right reckoning; therefore be not unjust to yourselves regarding them, and fight the polytheists all together as they fight you all together; and know that Allah is with those who guard (against evil).

The twelve months in a year is a man-made invention. Man invented days, weeks, months, and years as measurements of time, just as man invented seconds, minutes, and hours as measurements of time.

God created time, and man invented measurement of time.

Eucharisted,

stop it !! The Quran does NOT say the Sun orbits the Earth …

We don’t add the word of men to the word of God…so don’t mix these things and say “that’s what the Quran says”

Then tell me what the Qu’ran DOSE say about the course of the Sun.

Why some of you when God says “don’t say three” , you think it must be three (gods) !!

God says “each running its course for a term set [by Him]”

It might be the movement of the solar system in the galaxy…which is proven by science…BUT I don’t say “this what the Quran says” …

No, its clearly about the Sun. Not the solar system. So, you really don’t know, do you? Well, go ask a Muslim apologist and get back to me, alright?

As far as us believing the Qu’ran saying God is one of three gods, it dose say this. It says Christians take God as one of three and Christians take Jesus and Jesus’ Mother as gods beside God. So, the Qu’ran is saying Christians believe in three gods: God, Jesus, and Jesus’ Mother. Of course, what the Qu’ran says about the Trinity is wrong, as I showed in the OP.

[2.62] Surely those who believe, and those who are Jews, and the Christians, and the Sabians, whoever believes in Allah and the Last day and does good, they shall have their reward from their Lord, and there is no fear for them, nor shall they grieve.

In this verse, Christians and Jews are called monotheists.

[2.135] And they say: Be Jews or Christians, you will be on the right course. Say: Nay! (we follow) the religion of Ibrahim, the Hanif, and he was not one of the polytheists.

But in this verse, Christians and Jews are called polytheists.

Another theological error - and a contradiction - in the Qu’ran.

I thought you’ve claimed many times on here that you cannot watch videos on your computer? :confused: So how do you know what this video looks like or what it’s about?

wrong again

[2.135] And they say: Be Jews or Christians, you will be on the right course. Say: Nay! (we follow) the religion of Ibrahim, the Hanif, and he was not one of the polytheists.

in this verse , abraham (pbuh) wasn’t polytheist , it dosn’t says that christians or jews are polythiests at all
the family of abraham (pbuh) were polyttheists , so that allah acquit him from such beliefs

You are correct about Abraham - but incorrect about Christians and Jews.

Tafsir

[135-136] The Jews say, “Become Jews and you will be rightly guided” ;the Christians say, “Become Christians and you will have the true guidance.”

Say to them, “Nay, we turn away from every other way and accept the way of Abraham, and Abraham did not associate other gods with Allah.”**135 **

O Muslims, say to them, "We believe in Allah and the Guidance which has been sent down to us and which was sent to Abraham, Ismail , Isaac and Jacob and his descendants and which was given by their Lord to Moses and Jesus and to all other Prophets.

We do not discriminate against any of **them136 **and we have completely surrendered to Allah as Muslims."

Footnote explaination: 135 & 136

(1) Judaism and Christianity were born long after the death of Abraham. Judaism, with its special rituals, peculiar regulations, etc., took its birth and name some tour hundred years before Christ.

As to “Christianity”, it took its name and adopted its special creed and form long after the recall of Jesus. Thus it is clear that their claim that one must become a Jew or a Christian in order to obtain guidance was historically untenable.

For in that case, Abraham, Jesus and all the other Prophets and all the good people who had passed away long before the birth of Judaism and Christianity could not be counted among the right-guided persons for the simple reason that these “religions” did not exist at the time they lived.

Thus, it was obvious that the Jews and Christians could not say that these Prophets were not right-guided, nor could they claim that they followed Judaism or Christianity. As a corollary to this, true Guidance did not, even according to them, consist of the particular features which divided them into two distinct religions, but it was that eternal universal way which has been shown by all the Messengers of Allah and which has always been followed by the good people of all ages.

(2) It also meant to warn the Jews and the Christians that both practised shirk and had, therefore, swerved from the way of Abraham, who did not associate any other object with Allah in his worship, his reverence, his submission and his obedience to Him. They could not deny this because their own Scriptures bore testimony to it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.