Theology Books to help me prepare

I am look for theology books that may help me learn more about the church history. I will hopefuly be entering the diactonate soon so I would like to read as much as I can. Any help will be greatly appreciated. One book suggested to me was the confessions of st augustine so I may start with that. Since I am new to reading theology, I think I may have to ease up to the St Thomas Aquianas books. Thanks all for the help.

Jon

Jon, the Diocese of Wichita has a list of suggested books for spiritual reading on their discernment page. catholicdioceseofwichita.org/discernment/discernment/spiritual-reading

Thank you so much. I will take a look at it.

You might want to pick up Thomas Bokenkotter’s “A Concise History of the Catholic Church” it gives a good overview.

Come and join our group of deacons and those discerning at forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=1321

I am not sure if you are looking for more older books, but my favorites are books by Scott Hahn, and Fr. Mitch Pacwa

Why would you ise a theology book to learn about Church history?

This is the book we use for our Church history classes in the seminary.

Byzcath...sorry, I meant that I am looking for theology books, as well as books on church history.

Before Abbey Press went out of business, I purchased a copy of Tradition of the Catholic Church.

Since you are beginning, I would suggest that you look at the for dummies books such as Catholicism for dummies as a well as the idiot's guide book because they will provide you with a good basis.

The two volume The story of Christianity by Justo Gonzalez is also a great place to begin.

Try to read some of the simpler books first because everything in theology builds on each other. I'm studying theology and some of the documents are difficult to read.

I would also suggest “In Search of An American Catholicism”.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.