Theology of the Body

Hi y’all,

I don’t know if this is in the right category or not, so please move it if so…

I have heard nothing but wonderful things about Pope John Paul II’s Theology of the Body yet I just don’t know where to start with it. I see countless books and websites and YouTube videos about it but I just don’t know where to start personally. I am an 18 year old male if that would help out in recommendation and I kinda consider myself a little more theologically adept than most teens my age but I don’t know if that would make a difference in any recommendations.

Thank you all and God bless!!

amazon.com/Man-Woman-He-Created-Them-ebook/dp/B005F1Q7EW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410729187&sr=8-2&keywords=theology+of+the+body

I was the same as you, except much older. Everyone started telling me how great it was, so many books to read, none of them could keep my interest beyond the first chapter or two. So then I bought the above translation of the original talks.
They are not that hard to get through, just read a talk at a time, per sitting. Most of them take maybe 15-20 minutes to get through. I did it each morning before mass and was through in 3 or 4 months. Really good stuff.
I don’t really see the reason to not read the original, and the above is likely the best English translation.

Thank you very much! I was looking for something like this where I can actually read the original writings of JP2 and not have to read someone else’s interpretation of the Theology of the Body. God bless!

Great idea to read the original!

You are welcome. Now realize, there will be quite a few times you will be scratching your head wondering what the heck JP II was saying, not always easy reading. But not near as bad as others will maintain.
I learned the following trick: I you come across a passage that is difficult to understand, just read on. Once you are through with that talk, go back and try the passage that was difficult again: most of the time you will slap your head and wonder why you didn’t understand it the first time. Context is everything.

Oh: If you buy the above edition, skip most (if not all) of the introduction. It is very long, and goes into great detail of JP II’s philosophy. It is interesting, but quite dry.

I have finally gotten around to reading The Theology of the Body. Since it was originally given in a series of talks, he constantly comes back to one of the previous talks.
John Paul II always comes back to “the beginning.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.