There are many Gods and Lords...maybe the Mormons got it right!

I was flipping through my scriptures the other day when I came across these verses in fiirst corinthians chapter 8:

CHAPTER 8

1 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.
2 And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know.
3 But if any man love God, the same is known of him.
4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

It seems that there are many lords and gods. Maybe the Mormons got it right.

I am not sure that I understand your context comment. But it seems that verse 5 would support many gods and lords as Paul says: as there be gods many and lords many. The comma is important in that part of the verse to clarify meaning, and the parenthesis too.

If that is true we could say that the Greeks, Romans, Norse, Any of the Pagan Polytheist religions got it right for they all say that there are multipule gods.

Mormons got it no more right than any other pagan polytheist. There is but One God.

I agree that is what the chapter is about. But grammatically, there is a reason why that part of verse 5 is separated by a comma and a parenthesis. It is to show separation from the main thought and to stress that there are also many gods and lords.

But here on earth we worship one god and one lord, the father and Jesus Christ.

You may have not read the scripture as it was written. I just explained my interpretation to Tsuzuki above.

[LEFT][FONT=arial][FONT=arial]Here is a good marker for your thoughts WhyMe. Something to ponder.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial]**** [/FONT]
[FONT=arial]HUMILITY
[/FONT]
Humility is a supernatural virtue whereby one is enabled to make a true and just estimate of himself and is inclined to hold himself and his accomplishments in contempt in recognition that all good arises from God alone. It is said “dependence on God gives wings to prayer” St. Ignatius terms it a relinquishment of “self-will, self-love, and self-interests.” It is positive in not seeking honors and esteem of others, and self-condemning because man knows evil is his own doing. Humility is exercised toward God and neighbors: toward God who as the Creator gives man whatever he possesses, and toward one’s neighbors by recognizing their worth in the eye’s of God. This virtue is the opposite of pride and self pursuit, which is the root of all evil; hence humility is basic to the practice of all the virtues. It is fundamental of prayer, notably the prayer of simplicity, for Christ rewarded the Syro-phoenician women for her humility (Mk 7:26-30); it is likewise to be found in Christ’s example (Phil 2:1-11) [/LEFT]
[/FONT]Catholic Encyclopedia

WhyMe, There is but one fountain of life, this is God. You have to understand the difference between Creator and created. Death entered the world because those whom were created wanted to possess Godliness in their own right. The Tree in the middle of the garden is Christ, what the Son of Man possesses with the Father throughout all of eternity is given freely to His creation – humankind. We are given to share in what Christ has always had. God told us not to eat from the tree in the middle of the garden. The devil, the one who became jealous of his own creator told mankind that it was ok to take from the tree, that God had lied to them. The fall, all of our sin and the reason we die is because we turned down the grace of God in the desire to be a god ourselves. But you cannot sever the chord that gives us life. We all have fallen for this through original sin and our own daily personal sin. We want to stand on our own merit. Jesus shows us we can’t do this without Him “God”. Through each one of our sins we play a part in the crucifixion. We have no room for a sincere and holy need for God so we push him out of our lives in pursuit of our own godhood. To be seen as good and loved by others. This without the one God at your side is sin. We as Catholics, some of us understand that anything good is all about Jesus. Again we get to share in His goodness, in His love. “share” not possess it or think we can. This is where you find true peace, this is when you start to move towards what the Catholic faith has at its Core. I would meditate of the fall the Holy Trinity and the Cross of Christ.

Rich
[/FONT]www.uthamission.com

WhyMe
Go here and read the Scripture again along with the footnotes
When you read the New Testement you are reading the Catholic Church’s Diary. Who better to tell you what it is saying? Remember the Church came first before the Bible, she knows how it should be interpreted as it is of her. Would you want someone else to interpret what you yourself have written in your own Diary?
usccb.org/nab/bible/1corinthians/1corinthians8.htm

“For though there be that are called gods”

My Bible Reads:
Indeed, even though there are so-called gods in heaven and on earth

Both Translations have the same meaning. He is referring to the Pagan gods. He states also clearly that as Christians we believe in one sole Creator.

Commas and parenthesis weren’t part of the original :wink:

Shot yourself in the foot on this one dude. You obviously don’t understand the material, it denys the Mormon belief you are trying to support; i.e., polytheism.

I have a question - does this come from the Joseph Smith Bible translation?

No, it comes from the King James Version of the bible.

But it is in the King James and in the New American Bible linked above. :slight_smile:

4So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. 5For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”)

NIV

5 Indeed, even though there are so-called gods in heaven and on earth (there are, to be sure, many “gods” and many “lords”),
6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom all things are and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and through whom we exist.

NAB

Context, context, contex.

The point is that you can’t make your entire exegetical assumption based on punctuation that was inserted due to linguistic translation. You’d have to go back to the source language.

I have read the Scripture. and I read your response to Tsuzuki. And I say again There has never been nor will there ever be more than the One God. the God of Abraham. I am sure you have read the Credo, Just as it states he is the creator of all that is seen and unseen.

The belief in more than one god is for all pretense and purpose the same as the belief in idols.What it is denying is the belief in multiple gods whether or not you make a idol of it or not.

Was it not the placement of a coma that got us the seventh day Adventist? I would hate to try and place my salvation of punctuation.

The reason the words gods appears in the text at all is because it was directed to people that were pagan. It was never meat to implie that they were correct in there being other gods.

We may find that the source language is not that far off the King James. Paul seemed to make a point to add this sentence for a reason. Most likely, to relieve confusion between the idols problem and the understanding that there are many gods and lords.

A suitable sentiment for a Mormon such as yourself, but not for a Catholic (or any Christian) as you presently claim to be.

My understanding is that there wasn’t any punctuation in the original text. Nor, for that matter, were there chapter and verses. That didn’t come along until the middle ages. So, your hypothisis based on the grammar is incorrect.

There were many gods and lords of the time-- sun gods, roman gods, gods of love, etc. In modern times we have the god of money, the god of celebrity, etc. All of them are without divine power but worshipped just the same (to one degree or another).

The LDS henotheistic doctrine is false. There is only one God in this universe or any other. A person cannot become a god of their own planet. God was not once a man who became God. Jesus was not progressing to godhood while He was on earth. By the way, LDS do not worship Jesus with adoration. They view Him as Savior but only worship the Father. They also view the Father, the Son and the Spirit as separate Persons.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.