there are many unforgiveable sins in the Bible

Contrary to popular teaching there is not just a single specific unforgivable sin; rather “blasphemy against the Spirit” is a large category of sins. There are many specific sins that come under, and are part of, the overall category of “blasphemy against the Spirit”. If you “let the Bible interpret the Bible” then it is clear that it warns of some of the ways of “blasphemy against the Spirit” that will explicitly condemn one to Hell with finality. Pope JP2 said it was final impenitence which is surely unforgiveable, but it not the only one. Other examples are.… (it only takes one to make my point)

Two passages that everyone agrees are explicitly unforgivable are Heb 6:4-6 and Heb 10:26-27.(These already make my point)

But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. Mt 6:15.

But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! Gal 1:8,

He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. 1Ti 3:6

But if you do warn the wicked man and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his evil ways, he will die for his sin; but you will have saved yourself Eze 3:19

See to it that you do not refuse him who speaks. If they did not escape when they refused him [Moses] who warned them on earth, how much less will we, if we turn away from him [God] who warns us from heaven? Heb 12:25.

If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. Mt 10:15.

If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Heb 10:26-27

All of the things you list can be repented of - final impenitence is the only thing you can’t. Best to stick with Church teaching instead of making up your own mind otherwise.

These examples are mortal sins, but not unforgivable. Christ teaches that sins can be forgiven with repentance.

Nothing is unforgivable, not even the betrayal of Christ. You can always be forgiven, as long as you are on the earth. In hell its almost always to late, if you are in hell pray for God’s mercy with all your heart and he may just forgive you but if he doesn’t you can only blame yourself for being a terrible sinner on Earth as it takes a terrible sinner to reach hell

Bible interpret the bible?

That’s a new one.

Once someone is in hell it is too late. The person has chosen to go there and there is no release.

I would respectfully advise you not to place your limits on God. There is no limit to God’s mercy. Through God all things are possible

It’s not placing limits on God when it’s revealed truth.

Here’s a link to the CA Q&A that affirms the eternal nature of it.

catholic.com/qa/can-a-soul-be-delivered-from-hell-through-our-prayers

Here’s another.

catholic.com/qa/why-is-hell-eternal

Here’s another which specifically addresses the idea of repenting after death.

catholic.com/qa/do-those-who-die-in-mortal-sin-get-a-second-chance-to-repent

And then here’s another one, which also mentions how to receive mercy, a person has to want that mercy.

catholic.com/qa/does-the-soul-which-dies-in-mortal-sin-go-straight-to-hell-or-does-god-offer-his-mercy-one-last

Correctly interpreted, this means “Let the individual ego interpret the bible.” It is the core failing of the reformation and the failing of bible-based Christianity. Such doctrines we know by their fruits: division.

All sins can be forgiven except for one: if a person turns his back on God and continually and forever refuses his mercy, then when that person dies, there is no hope. But in this lifetime, God’s mercy is unending and beyond our understanding. Jesus said, ‘‘He who comes to me, I will not cast out.’’

Those who go to Hell are there forever. There is no escape. That is the word of God who does not lie.
It is an infallible teaching of the Church which you and all Catholics must believe. It is not even a case of not believing but accepting. It must be believed. To reject or have an obstinate doubt about any infallible teaching is heresy.

I am not going to put limits on God’s mercy. If you think he is so severely limited

It is also complete hearsay to believe that God is limited and is confined to your silly constraints

Hi,

In my original post I referenced 9 passages I consider to be unforgivable sins. I will focus on three of the most “powerful” passages to explain more clearly their meaning. Please keep in mind that the Catholic Church has never formally, doctrinally defined the unforgivable sin. Pope JP 2 wrote a letter expressing his views but it is not infallible. God’s mercy is unlimited but so is his wrath. He may or may not choose to offer his mercy or his wrath. These four passages are the most powerful and they are nearly self-explanatory and self-evident, the first two generally accepted by all as unforgivable.

It is impossible for those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, who have shared in the Holy Spirit, who have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the coming age, if they fall away, to be brought back to repentance, because to their loss they are crucifying the Son of God all over again and subjecting him to public disgrace. Heb 6:4-6

If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Heb 10:26-27

If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, shake the dust off your feet when you leave that home or town. I tell you the truth, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town. Mt 10:15.

He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. 1Ti 3:6. (The devils judgment is final and irrevocable).

I hardly need explain these four, it’s fearful to even read them. They are airtight as examples of unforgivable sin.

As an addendum to the above post please remember that absolution of the Sacrament of Confession is only valid with true contrition and penance/satisfaction. People can and do make invalid confessions.

Chris,
respectfully, I don’t think you should be making theological statements without necessary theological background.

Above you have one error and one ambiguous assertion.

1. “True” contrition is not an exact term. The church recognizes “imperfect” and “perfect” contrition. In the Sacrament of Penance, “imperfect” contrition suffices for the validity of the Sacrament.
  2. Not performing the penance assigned does not invalidate the absolution that was given. It becomes a new sin on its own.

I do agree with your last point, that people do make invalid confessions. That is a true statement.

I’ll admit this was a head scratcher, but a quick look around found a Catholic Answers Magazine article on this. Here’s one of the most pertinent quotes in regards to this passage.

If we understand the greater context, we understand that the author of Hebrews is not saying it is impossible to be forgiven of the sin of apostasy; rather, it is impossible for those who “have tasted the heavenly gift” of the New Covenant and would then return to the Old Covenant to be saved. Why? Because they are trusting in a covenant, law, priesthood, sacrifice, and more that do not possess the power to save. They are returning to a well without water.

catholic.com/magazine/online-edition/the-impossible-impossibility

And with we stop deliberately sinning, turning back to God, that no longer applies.

This is based on what it is to reject the word of God. “He who hears you, hears me” would seem to come into place and so the people would be rejecting God, which is sinful. But if they later finally came to accept Him, they could be saved. When Jesus spoke, he didn’t exactly leave an asterisk in His speech with all the terms and conditions, so to say.

Example, He said “with God, all things are possible.” not “with God, all (all being stipulated as a certain subset of things possible to God and excluding that which is not possible for God to do such as sin) things (things being denoted as a characterization of actions able to be done) are possible. (Possible stipulating…)” So also bearing in mind some of those “terms and conditions” is important.

This passage is talking about who should become an elder. For the ease of others, I’ll post what The New Jerusalem Bible translation says.
1Tim 3:1-7

“Here is a saying you can rely on: to want to be a presiding elder is to desire a noble task. That is why the presiding elder must have an impeccable character. Husband of one wife, he must be temperate, discreet and courteous, hospitable and a good teacher; not a heavy drinker, nor hot tempered, but gentle and peaceful, not avaricious, a man who manages his own household and well and brings his children up to obey him and be well-behaved: how can any man who does not understand how to manage his own household take care of the Church of God? He should not be a new convert, in case pride should turn his head and he incur the same condemnation of the devil. It is also necessary that he be held in good repute by outsiders, so that he never falls into disrepute and into the devil’s trap.”

Seen in context, this passage is easily seen to not be saying pride is an unforgiveable sin. The reason the person isn’t to be a new convert is to help make sure they are not prone to unjustified pride, which if not repented (and such a position would seem to be a constant temptation to that) can be deadly. It’s kind of as if I were to say, “You should not go into that situation with temptation, because you could fall into sin and not repent, leading to your demise.” You could repent of the sin once there, but it’s better to avoid the temptation because repenting might be tough.

Edit: Adding a link the US Bishops on Hebrews 6 with commentary. usccb.org/bible/hebrews/6

Wow… just Wow… It is NOT human constraint. It is God’s. Please read what the Church teaches regarding this matter. You are incorrect when you try to convince people there is a way out of Hell. It is far better to believe what the Church teaches rather than risk a human opinion which is opposed to Church teaching

Drforjc - thanks for verifying the point of my addendum.

mVitus – I find your inferences to be on thin ice as shown here…

Heb 6:4-6 your USCCB source says this….

[6:4] Enlightened and tasted the heavenly gift: this may refer to baptism and the Eucharist, respectively, but more probably means the neophytes’ enlightenment by faith and their experience of salvation

This source is GUESSING and SPECULATING. Your source is no more infallible than I am. Baptism and Eucharist are the plain and obvious meaning especially, and since, it applies to Catholics. Your Catholic.com link agrees with me that it is impossible to come back. But either way, apostasy back to Judaism or apostasy from the Church it is unforgivable once Baptism and Eucharist have been had.

Heb 10:26 I will defer for later.

Matt 10:15 it says “it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah ON THE DAY OF JUDGEMENT than for that town.” It is undeniable that there fate has been specified by God to be lost for all eternity on the day of judgment regardless of any intervening events.

1 TI 3:6 He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under THE SAME JUDGEMENT AS THE DEVIL. I can only expound on the Devils judgment which is the same as the persons judgment. It is immediate, everlasting, certain, irrevocable, irredeemable, unavoidable and final.

Thanks for your kind effort but I’ll stick to my guns.

This will be absolutely unbelievable to you, shocking even, but scripture can be read innumerable ways. Each of the documented 242 US denominations reads the exact same verses quite often in a completely different fashion. Each denomination leader (man) then formulates his own preferred doctrine.

Q: Just how does the bible interpret itself?

A: Impossible - it is ink and paper. The ego interprets.

Rather, Christ established a Church and gave it all authority to decide such issues, such as circumcision (Acts 15).

Q: To whom does a Protestant/Non-denominational Christian go to when doctrinal disputes arise?

A: There is no one. Therefore, he forms his own denomination.

I do not find any of this in the teaching of Christ. I do find an authoritative Church and Apostles whom He sent with both written and oral traditions to maintain as they hand the faith on to succeeding generations.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.