There IS life after DEATH: Scientists reveal shock findings from groundbreaking study

In a large scale study of more than 2,000 people, British boffins confirmed that thoughts DO carry on after the heart stops.

The shock research has also uncovered the most convincing evidence of an out of body experience for a patient declared dead.

It had been believed the brain stopped all activity 30 seconds after the heart had stopped pumping blood around the body, and that with that, awareness ceases too.

However, the study from the University of Southampton shows people still experience awareness for up to three minutes after they had been pronounced dead.

Lead researcher Dr Sam Parnia said: "Contrary to perception, death is not a specific moment but a potentially reversible process that occurs after any severe illness or accident causes the heart, lungs and brain to cease functioning.

“If attempts are made to reverse this process, it is referred to as ‘cardiac arrest’; however, if these attempts do not succeed it is called ‘death’.”

Of the 2,060 patients from Austria, the US and the UK interviewed for the study who had survived cardiac arrest, almost 40 per cent said that they recall some form of awareness after being pronounced clinically dead.

Dr Parnia continued: "This suggests more people may have mental activity initially but then lose their memories after recovery, either due to the effects of brain injury or sedative drugs on memory recall.”

More:
express.co.uk/news/science/670781/There-IS-life-after-DEATH-Scientists-reveal-shock-findings-from-groundbreaking-study

This just shows that a person can be alive even after her heart stops.

So there is potentially a small window of opportunity for a last-ditch repentance even after death, which was previously thought an impossibility. Very interesting.

I agree, this doesn’t prove life after death. It’s also already known that a human head can remain conscious for several minutes after being decapitated.

Well, I suppose that is quite encouraging and scary at the same time. It must be rather surreal in those final moments when you know your technically ‘dead’ and the lights are about to go out forever but your still capable of thought :eek:

But yes, I do surmise that this research may cause us to re-consider what a deathbed conversion entails. Perhaps its more common than we thought :shrug:

Clearly, death is a process even after the heart stops - with consciousness persisting for a little while longer.

This part of the study is potentially interesting, though…

thesun.co.uk/news/1611077/scientists-confirm-life-after-death-exists-with-ground-breaking-study/

**Perhaps the most significant finding of the study is that of a 57-year-old man believed to be the first confirmed out-of-body experience in a patient.

Dr Parnia said: “This is significant, since it has often been assumed that experiences in relation to death are likely hallucinations or illusions occurring either before the heart stops or after the heart has been successfully restarted, but not an experience corresponding with ‘real’ events when the heart isn’t beating.

“In this case, consciousness and awareness appeared to occur during a three-minute period when there was no heartbeat.

“This is paradoxical, since the brain typically ceases functioning within 20-30 seconds of the heart stopping and doesn’t resume again until the heart has been restarted.

“Furthermore, the detailed recollections of visual awareness in this case were consistent with verified events.”

After suffering a cardiac arrest, the patient revealed he was able to recall what was taking place around him with eerie accuracy after temporarily dying.**

I may be wrong but I would surmise that this is the element which has made the story ‘newsworthy’, since it is a “new” finding and so could be an innovation in scientific understanding of the “out-of-body” phenomenon.

Otherwise, it serves as as a reminder that clinical death is more complicated than a simple “dead/alive” distinction based upon the presence or absence of a heart-beat.

Look I totally believe in an afterlife but I don’t think this is good evidence for it or at least not necessarily convincing evidence

Makes sense. We are analog systems, not digital on/off systems.

I don’t think its designed to prove a spiritual afterlife though.

The newspaper headlines are misleading.

My understanding is that St. Therese of Lisieux and Padre Pio both believed there is always a “last chance” for repentance and redemption.

really?! I hope I never witness anything like that!

Pax Christi.

Repentance can happen only before the death process is irreversible, for the vast majority. A few souls seem to get sent back because Divine Will decides on this. The rest of us should not count on it.

God bless.

Is this Hades, the temporary place of the dead?

Perhaps similar to the explanation given by the Orthodox Church:

According to the saints, the “fire” that will consume sinners at the coming of the Kingdom of God is the same “fire” that will shine with splendor in the saints. It is the “fire” of God’s love; the “fire” of God Himself who is Love. “For our God is a consuming fire” (Heb 12.29) who “dwells in unapproachable light” (1 Tim 6.16). For those who love God and who love all creation in Him, the “consuming fire” of God will be radiant bliss and unspeakable delight. For those who do not love God, and who do not love at all, this same “consuming fire” will be the cause of their “weeping” and their “gnashing of teeth.”

Maybe all souls have this final period to be put literally in the presence of God’s love and will then instantly realize they are either going to cling to their sin or release it and cling to God?
This being before the final death after judgement, where those that even in Hades rejected God get thrown into the Lake of Fire for eternity.

We get a two minute warning before hitting the out button. :smiley:

Jim

I heard Mother Angelica say this also. You still don’t want to put off repentance though, because the longer you put it off the harder it is to repent.

Yes. If you want to read a doozy of a story, there’s this one detailing a conversion from ISIS.

ISIS Fighter Converts to Christianity After Allah Refuses Him ‘Entrance to Gates of Heaven’

I love stories like this! thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

And if consciousness does persist after the heart stops doesn’t that suggest to non-believers that we do have souls, i.e., we are more than matter.

I believe those last few milliseconds between life and death, in our mind, it probably seems like a much longer time period, and Id say alot gets accomplished/ finalized, during this time.

People that are getting close to death, they usually report beings/people that no one else can see, and they appear to talk to them, Id say these are heavenly ‘greeters’, probably explaining whats about to happen, and for all we know, they may give them one final chance to accept God and repent. It would only take less than second to say YES, and their entire afterlife would be changed.

There are a lot of people that I’ve heard say things along the lines of “I want to believe in God, but it wouldn’t be honest of me to say it, when I really don’t.” I’ve heard many variations of this. People that live lives of love, raising a family, and working hard to provide for the family.

My thought is there are those that simply seeing God would cause them to start worshiping him. While there are many others that are so stuck on the idea of being in control of everything, or they have terrible ideas of God, or are so attached to their sins, etc. These people would not choose to worship God, even if he gave them a final chance.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.