There is no difference in sins

I don’t think there is any difference between a mortal sin, and a venial sin. Sin is sin, I don’t care what you call it. None of it is good, and no one sin is bigger then any other. To me they are all equally bad in the eyes of God. Do some come with more or less punishment here on Earth? Perhaps yes, but that doesn’t mean the same thing would apply in Heaven.

And you base this on what?

My point is that there is indeed a scriptural basis for the difference, as well as a common sense one.

Please substantiate your reasons for believing that?

No not one bit.

There are forgivable sins and there is one unforgiveable sin.

There is sin unto death and there is sin not unto death.

The distinction is quite clear.

Some sins require capital punishment whereas some sins require imprisonment, whereas some sins require restitution, whereas some sins require none of the above.

“All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not mortal,” 1 John 5:7.

That’s funny. The early Church fathers would disagree with you.

catholic.com/library/Mortal_Sin.asp

How about 1 John 5:16-17:

If anyone sees his brother sinning, if the sin is not deadly, he should pray to God and he will give him life. This is only for those whose sin is not deadly. There is such a thing as deadly sin, about which I do not say that you should pray. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin that is not deadly.

hmmm. rebellion. where have i seen that story before?

Sin is always sin, and none of it is good. However, we don’t look at sin realistically, but from a perspective of a relationship. We are God’s family, and just like in a human family, there are different degrees of damaging that relationship. Some sins damage it only a little, and some sins damage it completely. For example, a parent will treat a child differently when he “misses” some of his household chores, and when he deliberately burns down the house. Likewise, God will treat me differently for choosing not to say a prayer tonight, and for for killing my neighbor. It’s all about relationship.
You can also see all throughout the Bible that God treats different degrees of disobedience differently.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.