There shall be one fold and one shepherd. (John 10:16)

What does this mean to you?

Who is the Shepherd in question? The Pope, or Christ?

What is the fold? All Christians? All catholics? All Orthodox?

How can One Fold be achieved?

Hi!
Jesus is the one Shepard. Everyone should be in the fold. Of any religion; all people.
But how to achieve that? Only Our dear Lord knows that.

Christ is Our Shepard.
Of course with a large fold the Shepard might have others who help him. After all Jesus must have had some reason for telling Peter to “Feed my Sheep”

The Fold is anyone baptized with the trinitarian form. “In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit”. Unfortunately this Fold is scattered at present.

WE must seek the lost sheep and bring them back to the flock. Mostly this must be done one at a time.

Peace
James

I concur. Very well put! :thumbsup:

Guy on the Street,
Hi and 'hope you are well.

1. From verse 14 and verse 27, the good shepherd knows His sheep because He knows the hearts of every person who has ever lived. His followers know His voice. (A sheep knows the voice of their real shepherd, even if they hear other voices who may try and mimic their true shepherd’s voice. They only respond when “their shepherd” calls to them.)

2. Jesus Christ.

3. There is a “hidden fold” and the “known fold”. The “known fold” would be those known by the disciples and apostles and their followers. The “hidden fold” would be somewhere else, unknown to the people Christ was talking to. Christ would visit them also so that they would hear His voice.

4. Those who really follow Christ know His voice enough to know that His voice is calling to many, many good people all over the world, and He is impacting their lives in personal and significant ways that they know about. They feel His involvement in their personal life. “One fold” will be achieved when all His followers allow Him to guide them completely and thus they each learn to really have the kind of love for each other that heals the wounds of discord and brings peace to the world.:thumbsup:

Jn 10 - 14"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 17The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. 18No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father."

The Shepherd is Jesus. The fold is the Catholic Church. The other sheep not of this Church are believers and potential believers who would be open to Jesus. These need to brought to the Fold.

John 10:14 I am the good shepherd, and I know mine and mine know me,
15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I will lay down my life for the sheep…

Christ is the Good Shepherd
At the time this was written, it referred to the Jewish followers of Christ. Today it can refer to Catholics.

…16 I have other sheep that do not belong to this fold. These also I must lead, and they will hear my voice, and there will be one flock, one shepherd.

Again, at the time it was written, it referred to the gentile who were to sone become followers of Christ. Today it can refer to Non-Catholic Christians or soon to be Christians. When Christ comes again, we will all be one flock.

To echo what others have said here, the one shepherd mentioned in John 10:16 is the Lord. At the same time he also has other shepherds to help him, and in particular we often refer to the Pope as the “chief shepherd”. That is to say, chief out of the many shepherds who assist the one shepherd – not in any way to imply that the Pope, rather than Christ, is the one shepherd mentioned in the Gospel.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.