There was I beside him

In The Book of Proverbs, Chapter 8 Verse 30 states:
There was I beside him as his craftsman,
and I was his delight day by day,

Please explain.

:bible1::bible1::bible1::bible1:

I’m not sure what you are looking for here. It is fairly apparent that the Wisdom of God is being personified just like in Proverbs 1:20-33, don’t you think? I don’t know what you mean by explain (or I might be missing something).

Jesus being raised by St. Joseph, though not the main interpretation, is something that comes to mind.

Hmmmm. You know, I don’t think that interpretation fits contextually at all.

But reading the verse and thinking of Jesus and St. Joseph does bring a beautiful image to mind.

You’re right; now that I look at it, it does not sound so much like that when put in context of the other verses. It still is a beautiful image, however.

I’m not sure which version of the Bible that quote came from, but the perspective is slightly different in the Douay-Rheims version:"[30] I was with him forming all things: and was delighted every day, playing before him at all times; "
If I remember correctly, I’ve heard that the book of “Wisdom” has often been interpreted as representing either Jesus or the Holy Spirit. In this whole chapter, it’s easy to see how this could have been spoken from the perspective of Jesus, the Son of God. I think that’s why someone could almost see it as being from the perspective of the child Jesus, during His life with St. Joseph, especially with the references to “playing before him”.

It always amazes me to consider how many different ways Bible passages can be interpreted, and how many different layers of profound meaning are hidden in its pages. Thank you for prodding me to read this one, again. It certainly has many different perspectives to consider. :wink:

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.