"There will be women priests in your lifetime"

My father is an Anglican minister (I am a convert) and he tells me that I will see the Catholic Church officially recognize female ordinations to the priesthood. As one who promotes the orthodoxy of the Catholic message I say it’s not possible to change the Deposit of Faith once and for all handed down to the Saints. Your thoughts?

I think we need to abide by the scriptures and sacred Tradition of Christianity.

Those who feel that the church should waste time in officially discussing the ordination of women to the priesthood need only look to Pope John Paul II’s simple statement of fact. The church has no authority to change this.

Pope John Paul II wrote (ORDINATIO SACERDOTALIS),

1. Although the teaching that priestly ordination is to be reserved to men alone has been preserved by the constant and universal Tradition of the Church and firmly taught by the Magisterium in its more recent documents, at the present time in some places it is nonetheless considered still open to debate, or the Church’s judgment that women are not to be admitted to ordination is considered to have a merely disciplinary force.
    Wherefore, in order that all doubt may be removed regarding a matter of great importance, a matter which pertains to the Church’s divine constitution itself, in virtue of my ministry of confirming the brethren (cf. 22:32) I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful.

The church need not get into the issue…it is settled.

As an aside, I would also point out that those who think that women n-C ministers are all fine and good should ask around among n-Cs and you’ll pretty quickly find that there are many who will not attend a service or church where a woman is preaching or pastoring. I’ve seen this myself.

We all need to listen carefully to what the Holy Spirit calls us to do within the Body of Christ and obey that, knowing that with the call also comes the graces of obedience and the spiritual equipping to carry out that call.

Tell your Dad to keep dreaming.

Roma Locuta Est, Causa Finita Est :thumbsup:

Are you sure he was not talking about the Anglican Church? Many Orthodox Anglicans see themselves as “Catholic”. But given the massive unrest and schism ongoing now in the Anglican Church over female ordination (and homosexuals too) I would say that even if the Catholic Church thought they had the authority to change and ordain women (which we don’t) they never would. It’s just causing too much internal dissension and problems for Anglicans. So it looks like their experiment failed and it will result in more migrations to the Catholic Church as conservative Anglicans flee a clearly sinking ship that is trying to remake itself from a mono-hull into a tri-hulled sailing catamaran (orthodox, liberal, and protestant all in one) with each hull having its own skipper that wants to go in different directions. What a catastrophe.

James

I think your dad is very wrong. Not that woman cannot and do have a place of ministry in the church…just not the priesthood.
And it doesn’t make it wrong…perhaps you should refer him to the Theology of the body of John Paul II. It will explain the roles of man and woman more clearly.

Popes nor Church Councils can change the priesthood. There will be no women priests. Even if they are ordain by a bishop, the ordaination is invalid much like using a regular piece of bread for Holy Communion and using regular water instead of wine.

The Church’s priesthood is based on the Jewish priesthood where all the priests were men and came from the tribe of the Levite. Jesus is a Jew and he continue this priestly as for men.

Priests are said to be the Groom of the Church and the Church is his bride. If there were women priesthood, it would be like have same sex union which are invalid.

Nobody can judge the motivations of individuals, but I’m sure no amount of Theology of the Body or Church documentation will persuade the OP’s father. My suspicion (and it is only that - I don’t know the guy) is that he has seen his own Church crumble to society’s whims and, having always harbored some resentment that his son/daughter left the church of his childhood, feels a little better throwing unsustantiated claims like this out rather than acknowledging that the CC has stayed the course more perfectly than the offshoots.

I could certainly be wrong about the OP’s father, and I’m sure he’s a stand-up guy in general, but I think we’ve all seen enough of human nature and have all been guilty of this type of inferiority complex to see symptoms of it in his comment. I know I’ve been guilty of it with regard to other things in my life.

I might note that an ordinary piece of bread can be used as matter for the Eucharist, it doen not make it invalid. Water of course cannot be used in place of wine nor can pure grape juice.

He is a stand up guy and well loved in the Anglican circle in the city. That being said, he does tend to throw out red-herrings as do I. Sometimes we poke at one another as a father and son kinda thing. When we sense things are getting a little heated, we don’t discuss the issue. Usually, however, he doesn’t like to discuss religion with me due to the nature of the beast in being a family man and a minister (hence the wisdom of celebate priests in our Latin Rite.) When I announced to him I was going to RCIA and be Confirmed Catholic, he took me out for coffee immediately and took interest as to why due to my church hopping for many years. He wanted to make sure this was a serious committment and not another experiment. Indeed, he must have known I was dead serious because he came out to my Easter Vigil along with the rest of the fam and my Baptist Aunt.

Getting back on topic, however, I agree that the issue is settled. In fact it has been settled since Jesus breathed on 12 Apostles and they were all men who conferred their authority on other men for over 2 millenia now. It started with Christ and it will end with Christ not Christa. Regarding what Pope John Paul said concerning the issue, in the words of St. Augustine of Hyppo: “Rome has spoken, the issue is settled.”

It’s like you’ve known my father for years!:wink:

Your father is wrong. Just plain and simple wrong.

The Anglicans are tearing themselves apart over the issues of female clerics, gay clerics, and sexually active unmarried clerics.

Any church that ordains practicing homosexuals has ignored the Law. They have proven that they do not know truth any more. Pay them no mind.

Not going to happen. It’s not about the women’s movement or equality. It’s about what we can and can’t do. We have no authority whatsoever to ordain women priests.

Cam-masta,

I mean no disrespect toward your father or toward his ecclecial community, but do you think it is possible that his is wishful thinking? that he is unrealistically hoping that if Jesus’ True Church caves in that his community will therefore be validated?

My father is an Anglican minister (I am a convert) and he tells me that I will see the Catholic Church officially recognize female ordinations to the priesthood.

Does your father make bets? With lots of money? On second thought, it wouldn’t be fair to do this to your father, like taking a Good Humor ice cream bar from a baby …

Tim

Then again, you wouldn’t be able to collect your winnings until you had died.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.