They say they are Catholic, but they can't be?

I was looking online for a different church by this name : All Saints. and I found a website for a different All Saints Mission, which turns out to be in Florida. I skimmed the home page to see if it was the local parish I was looking for, and realized that not only was it not, it’s own description is very confusing. They state they are a Catholic church, but that they would accept a woman priest and openly gay members.

allsaintsmission.org/

What kind of church are they? I don’t see how they could be part of a Catholic diocese?

just curious, thanks for any opinions :slight_smile:

They are most certainly not a part of The Catholic Church. I seem to remember recently hearing about a Church with catholic in it’s name. Just looked it up. The United Catholic Church. I bet that is what this is.

united-catholic-church.org/ABOUT%20US/AU%20Index.htm

No they are not catholic they are pseudo catholic their website even states this by saying they are an"Independent Parish." I’m from Florida originally and unfortunately a lot of pseudo catholic groups are popping up from Santeria groups claiming to be catholic to groups such as these.

I would stay away from them they are what I call pick and choose catholics they claim to be in communion with the church but they accept women priests something that isn’t allowed obviously.

And I did some sleuthing on their FB page and a photo shows a black santa muerte candle on the altar:eek:

It the presence of santa muerte means that this church is in league with evil imagine a priest allowing such a thing on the altar!

Also they accept women and married priests?

Yeah stay away from them

A proper Catholic church isn’t going to “turn away” an “openly” gay person.
Perhaps the priest can refuse to give communion to that person, I don’t know…?
But are you thinking that a homosexual person who is having sex won’t be let in the front door or something?
If the Catholic church was going to do that, they’d have to check all “sinners” at the door, please, and turn them away.

DaddyGirl;11933357]A proper Catholic church isn’t going to “turn away” an “openly” gay person.

:yup:

Perhaps the priest can refuse to give communion to that person, I don’t know…?

Great question, DG, but I think only a priest can do that.

But are you thinking that a homosexual person who is having sex won’t be let in the front door or something?

That’s not going to happen.

If the Catholic church was going to do that, they’d have to check all “sinners” at the door, please, and turn them away.

:yup:

This is not a Catholic parish. The pastor of the group is “an excommunicated Roman Catholic seminarian.” You can always look at the diocesan website, which will list the real Catholic parishes in the area.

articles.sun-sentinel.com/1996-01-28/features/9601260278_1_catholic-lite-parishioners-saints

I’m not Catholic, but I can see the red flags flying on their home page:

The parish is a Catholic, Apostolic and Independent Parish. Practising all the catholic traditions, All Saints is in communion with all Catholics. We differ in man made laws or regulations governing the lives of our people. Divorced Catholics are accepted back into full communion with annulment. There is no excommunication and all people regardless of lifestyles (i.e. those who are gay) are welcome.
Priests are accepted who are married. And we would accept a woman priest.

Nope. Not Catholic in communion with the Bishop or Rome.

Jon

umm, no, I wasn’t thinking that at all. I was quoting what was on the website of the church in question. That’s what they said. My question was, what kind of church is this.

They might be the kind of church that would look at a bible and call it a pepperoni pizza! Just because they say they are something or other doesn’t make them that. Catholic they are not - sounds like any other protestant church in that they like the idea of Catholic Christianity, but figure they have a better idea than God and 2000 years of apostolic teaching on how to live it.

The web site said they are an “independent catholic” church. If you do a web search you will find over 100 Independent and Old Catholic churches nation wide. They might have a ‘bishop’ with two or three parishes under him, or her.

The ‘cathedral’ might be in a living room with an old console tv as an altar. Or it could be in a remodeled garage.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.