They shall dream dreams and see visions

It says in acts in end times, he will pour out his spirit and they shall dream dreams and see visions.

Some of the holy protestant people I know are having dreams this year.
I went on youtube and theres thousands all having dreams this year, the confusing part is they are protestant.

non of my catholic friends or family are having them?

Yeah, and I’m having dreams every night my whole life, as are we all. I don’t go around announcing my dreams like they’re a public prophecy. Dreams are at most PRIVATE revelations, which means they’re for the person receiving them. And a lot of dreams are just the brain sweeping itself out or they relate to some other event in a person’s personal life.

There’s nothing about a “Holy Protestant Person’s” dream that’s special. Us Catholics do not believe in such stuff unless the Vatican gives it some level of approval as a private revelation. Which it’s not going to do for a Protestant seer. Moreover, people who constantly announce their dreams often have an agenda, like “watch my YouTube channel so I can make money.”

My advice to you would be, stop watching, listening to and discussing this stuff.

5 Likes
  1. You assume it’s the End Times. The time which we were told by Christ no one would know the day nor the hour of.
  2. You’re comparing your Catholic friends and family to the “thousands” of Protestants posting things on the internet: those are very different sample sizes. There are also “thousands” of Protestants not having dreams and/or not posting on the internet.
4 Likes

I don’t want dreams and visions as I’ve had them in the past and some of them were not edifying.
I want a well ordered day doing God’s will with others, AKA “peace”.

As Catholics we are blessed to have the Eucharist as the source and summit of our lives. Other experiences are a distant second.

4 Likes

This is an excellent point.

OP, you seem to spend an inordinate amount of time researching “end times”, often from a non-Catholic perspective, and posting about it here.
How much time do you spend at Mass or Adoration? Those types of activities build trust in the Lord and bring you closer to him.
They are productive spiritual activities.

Endless dwelling on the end times is not a productive activity.

3 Likes

The standard spiritual advice I’ve given, and received, regarding dreams is quite simple: ignore them. If they really are God trying to communicate something, He’ll find another way to confirm them.

Don’t put too much stock on dreams, particularly in a difficult and anxiety-inducing period where there is much to trouble our subconscious mind and provoke unusual dreams.

1 Like

I think that’s a bit overbroad.
There are times when God definitely sends us a personal message in a dream, usually about something of personal import to the dreamer. It’s not some prophecy for the world though. God also doesn’t cause us anxiety, so anxiety dreams are not from God.

Usually, God would communicate with people via dreams who are comfortable with that, wouldn’t get carried away, and in the case of the people I know in that category, they would probably not be sharing with a spiritual counselor.

That’s why I said “standard” advice :wink: There are indeed exceptions.

1 Like

The quote you are mentioning in Acts is specifically being applied by the apostles to what was witnessed on Pentecost Sunday. So I would be careful with trying to make an application outside of that, because that isn’t necessarily consistent with Luke’s interpretation. That being said there are actually scriptural tests to determine whether prophetic visions, dreams, etc., are of God. We find these in Deuteronomy first. So if a prophet says something and it doesn’t come true, it isn’t of God. If someone says something that leads you to worship of something other than the God of Israel, it is not of God. John also tells us to test the spirits, specifically rejecting those who deny the humanity of Christ. I would suspect he would also agree with rejecting those who deny the divinity of Christ as well. I would put much more emphasis in looking to scripture as the normative means of revelation that God has provided rather than mystics. Scripture has been tested and approved as God’s inspired word. Mystics are not so reliable. Unfortunately there is a push to “prove” one’s holiness in the charismatic community through things like speaking in tongues, prophetic visions, etc., rather than allow the Holy Spirit to speak through the normative means of word and sacrament. The end result is a multiplication of false prophets. I am not dismissing the charismatic gifts, but I am urging caution.

… that you know of.

I would note for the benefit of the OP that this post discussing “Scriptural tests” is giving a Protestant view. In general, Catholics do not go around determining the truth of prophecies by applying “Scriptural tests”, except for the obvious that if some prophecy is telling you to violate one of God’s commandments, or otherwise leading you into sin or anxiety, or going against Scripture in some way (for example by predicting the date and hour of the end of the world when Scripture says we do not know that), it’s not coming from God. In general Catholics also are not supposed to go around following after prophecies not approved by the Church, which would generally include those made by non-Catholics.

Despite the differences between Catholic and Protestant approaches here, I would agree with the basic point Hodos made about proceeding with caution and with the overuse of prophecy (as well as mysticism). End times prophecies are especially popular nowadays because people are trying to make sense of big scary events like a worldwide pandemic that currently has no vaccine or cure.

I was taking to a therapist social worker I know who said her clients have been reporting more vivid dreams.

She thinks it’s from the pandemic quarantine.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.