They Should Do It To Him [Man Starves Dog for Art]

This may be the most infuriating, disgusting thing I’ve read in years. From a reader: In 2007, Costa Rican “artist” Guillermo Vargas
Habacuc, took a dog from the street, tied him to a
rope in an art gallery in Honduras, and starved him to
death. For several days, the ‘artist’ and the
visitors of the exhibition have watched emotionless
the shameful ‘masterpiece’ based on the dog’s agony,
until eventually he died. And now the prestigious
Visual Arts Biennial of the Central American decided
that the ‘installation’ was actually art, so that
Guillermo Vargas Habacuc has been invited to repeat
his cruel action for the biennial of 2008.

[Go [URL=“http://guillermohabacucvargas.blogspot.com/”]here and here]

I’m an artist (painter) and this sort of thing infuriates me.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

That anyone should torture an animal for their own sadistic pleasure and call it “art” is beyond me…it is “evil”…not “art”. I signed the petition and left a very un-Quakerly comment stating just what I thought of his “evil”…aka…“art”.

To return violence for violence would not be a solution however.

I am signature #1059594

Original post came from here:

corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ODM0ODJhYjQyN2VhMDFmMzYzYTI5OTBjMzhmMzAxZDI=

However, it looks like there may be more to this story than originally posted. See:

dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/worldnews.html?in_article_id=561815&in_page_id=1811

The fact that he keeps changing his story makes me think that the dog actually died. After all, if the dog had lived, there would have been no need to lie about it, and it would be easy enough to produce the dog and show that he was still alive.

People starve to death, too. Should we take a child from Darfur, and chain him up to watch him die?

And yes, feral dogs die miserably. I’ve taken in several of them. They become the most loving and faithful animals you can imagine; they know what people have done for them, and they return the favor with complete, unconditional love.

Mark Twain was right. If you take in a starving dog, feed him and give him a home, he won’t bite you. This is the primary difference between a man and a dog.

I am ashamed for my species, that one of us actually commited this atrocity.

Is humanity just growing more evil and atrocious or is the media exposing this more in today’s age? :mad:

I think that what has gone wrong is that too many artists have lost all sense of the fact that they (we) are supposed to be guardians of culture. This attitude that anything that provokes a response is “art” has been taken way beyond anything Duchamps may have been thinking of, when he first came up with the idea. There is a lot of difference between shocking people by putting a frame around a toilet seat and hanging it in a gallery, and starving a dog to death, or creating “art” species from living DNA, or any of the other horrors that are being perpetrated today in the name of art. :dts:

I’m going to my studio now, and in protest of this dog thing, I’m going to paint a pretty landscape. On a small canvas. And then I’m going to put it in an absolutely hideous Art Deco style of frame, and then, just to add spite to spite, I’m going to sell it to a little old lady for a reasonable price. (If I can, I’ll find a little old lady who has a spoiled rotten, fat dog. And she can put the painting up in her kitchen, over the place where she feeds the dog.)

Take that, art world!! :mad:

:smiley:

They Should Do It To Him [Man Starves Dog for Art]…yes they should do the same to him:mad: :mad:

I am signature 1059209.:thumbsup:

I know the feeling about “artists;” many today seem to think that beauty and balance means it can’t be art. I can (and sometimes do) produce works that are disturbing or dark, because that is also a part of being human, and my images are meant for humans.

But I have no need to make them ugly or clumsy; if one is a competent artist, then one can do both. Here’s such an image;

I was struck by the reptile-like and predatory nature of herons, and wanted to show that aspect of them. Dark, but not ugly.

Anyone who hasn’t compassion for animals speaks volumes! Just think what this man’s views are about the lives of others? He’d think nothing of possibly doing a similar “piece” with a live individual for the sake of realistic art.

It’s been proven that kids who torture and kill animals have grown up to be killers. Think not? I’ve been in law enforcement for more than 20+ years and I can tell you I’ve looked inti the eyes of*pure evil * in both adults andchildren.**

The things people will do for art are shocking. This and that disgusting abortion “art” at yale are truly sickning

When bad people happen to good dogs: the next level.

The difference is that what happened at Yale wasn’t really abortion(She just menstruated and said it was an abortion.). This guy seems to have really starved a dog.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.