They sold their souls to the devil

Can anyone believe this? Honestly, I was so disturbed by the possibility that anyone would actually sell their soul to the devil in return for fame and fortune, that I had to post this. Please, someone, tell me it’s a hoax, or that Katy Perry is joking.
youtube.com/watch?v=10rx15v28yk

And as if that’s not bad enough, here’s Bob Dylan saying something similar.
youtube.com/watch?v=IqvvOD4bdRs

What’s more, there are websites available which give advice on how to do this, the methods, the rituals involved, how do get the best deal out of selling one’s soul.

Sorry to post on such a terrible subject, but this is the wrold we live in. To actually do this. They must be desperate, or mad.

It’s a metaphor. It’s not real.

There are websites that will tell you how to mix a love potion. That’s not real either.

What do you mean by ‘It’s a metaphor’?
Are you saying that the devil isn’t real?
Or that the devil is real but that no-one would consider selling their souls to him?

‘The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn’t exist’
(Quote from the film ‘The Usual Suspects’)

While I seriously doubt celebrities have become famous (and then admitted it) by “selling their souls”, it does happen. The Devil is real and anyone can make a deal with him- whether he accepts is another story. Think of all the times he tempted Jesus in the Bible…those were technically deals with the Devil that Jesus didn’t accept.

EricW

I don’t think anyone is saying the devil isn’t real. I would well imagine that those musicians are using that metaphor to describe how they allowed themselves to “sell out” on some of their ethics at the request of the music industry in order to gain success or get where they are today. I seriously doubt those two you posted links to actually addressed the devil himself and made an official pact…but that doesn’t mean that the devil isn’t working through a lot of people in the entertainment industry,

Think about this…a weatherman says it’s raining cats and dogs out during a torrential downpour…there really aren’t kitties and pooches pouring from the sky.

A teen says his mom will kill him if he gets a “D” on a test or an employee says their boss will kill them for being late. While I’m sure there is some sick people who have did that to their kids or employee…overall, it’s a metaphor.

Same about eating a horse when you’re hungry…sure, someone probably has, but that doesn’t mean the average Joe who’s missed breakfast one day is going to go out and barbeque Trigger…

Do you understand now?

Yes, I understand perfectly well that when the weatherman says ‘it’s raining cats and dogs’ that he doesn’t mean that cats and dogs are falling from the sky. And I also understand that the expression ‘I could eat a horse’ doesn’t mean that the person is about to kill and eat one. These are expressions used to describe an existing situation in colourful terms, the situations being, a) that it actually is raining, and b) that the person actually is hungry.

But why jump to the conclusion that Katy Perry and Bob Dylan are using metaphors, ie, describing a situation that exists in colourful terms? Why not take their statements at face value?

But whether either of these individuals were not, in fact, employing metaphorical language but really did sell their souls to the devil could be argued about forever. But the question still remains. Would anyone really do this?

Because we all would find it difficult to picture the devil appearing with contract in hand.
The metaphoric meaning of a compromise of principles fits much better.

This is not the same as an idiom of speech, this would be a real compromise of principle.

When someone begins doing something they know to be wrong to insure their career/lifestyle remains intact.
As children, did we ever jump onto the bandwagon and pick on some other kid that was smaller/weaker/different?
No, we did not literally sell our souls…but we did sin, and we did hurt others, and we knew it at the time. And it was all in the name of popularity.

I suppose a similar example could play out anywhere.

Because it is not possible to sell your soul to anyone.

While this is a oft used literary device, it is completely **ridiculous **theology. You have free will. You **cannot **“sell” your soul to anyone. You cannot make an irrevocable pact with the devil or anyone else because you can **always **go to confession and receive absolution until your dieing day. The entire idea of selling your soul is incompatible with Catholic teaching.

It is fiction.

Not the same thing, but isn’t it possible to open yourself up to and invite possession?

Like I said, not the same thing. But the effect may be the same.

If a person is a baptised Christian, then they do not belong to themselves, but to Christ, since He has redeemed us by His Blood… And even the devil is not daft enough to buy something that is not avavilable for purchase, on a basis that could never be sustained in a human court, never mind a divine one!.

Not that Katy Perry is highly religious, but I think this is evidence enough that she isn’t a devil worshiper.

ontheredcarpet.com/Katy-Perry-talks-religion:-God-is-still-inside-of-me-Video/8724586

Again, probably unlikely Bob Dylan sold his soul to the devil.

hollowverse.com/bob-dylan/

The effect is not the same at all.

The soul can never be possessed, and always retains its free will. Possession or obsession involve the body, not the soul. Certainly a possessing entity could hinder the soul’s control over the body, but it does not possess the soul.

Dylan? Really? Odd that he sings the following in “Gotta Serve Somebody

You may be an ambassador to England or France

You may like to gamble, you might like to dance
You may be the heavyweight champion of the world
You may be a socialite with a long string of pearls

But you’re gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You’re gonna have to serve somebody
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you’re gonna have to serve somebody

You might be a rock ’n’ roll addict prancing on the stage
You might have drugs at your command, women in a cage
You may be a businessman or some high-degree thief
They may call you Doctor or they may call you Chief

You may be a state trooper, you might be a young Turk
You may be the head of some big TV network
You may be rich or poor, you may be blind or lame
You may be living in another country under another name

You may be a construction worker working on a home
You may be living in a mansion or you might live in a dome
You might own guns and you might even own tanks
You might be somebody’s landlord, you might even own banks

You may be a preacher with your spiritual pride
You may be a city councilman taking bribes on the side
You may be workin’ in a barbershop, you may know how to cut hair
You may be somebody’s mistress, may be somebody’s heir

Might like to wear cotton, might like to wear silk
Might like to drink whiskey, might like to drink milk
You might like to eat caviar, you might like to eat bread
You may be sleeping on the floor, sleeping in a king-sized bed

You may call me Terry, you may call me Timmy
You may call me Bobby, you may call me Zimmy
You may call me R.J., you may call me Ray
You may call me anything but no matter what you say

You’re gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed

Copyright © 1979 by Special Rider Music		

Seriously…can you not see when a person is joking?

I didn’t hear Dylan mention the devil once. The Katy Perry one sounds like she is using it as a metaphor. She was talking about when she sang gospel music as a kid, and then she moved into secular music. She means that by going into pop music she sold her soul.

You do not have to be evil to be possessed

On the other hand I understand the point she is driving at.

I understand that.
My thought was more along the lines that the invitation must be there.
And once that invitation is taken up, the devil can literally stand in the way of the sacraments, including confession.

I don’t think selling my soul to the devil would be something I would even want to joke about.
On a lighter note, raining cats and dogs is a valid expression that got started in Medieivel (sp) days…when houses had thatched roofs made out of straw. Small animals DID live in the straw, and when it rained, they would literally fall out of the ceiling of the house.

He doesn’t need an invitation from man. There are cases where his darknessess just took a body because he could.

The Vatican chief exorcist disagrees.
In an interview I watched, he stated there is always an invitation.

It may not be readily apparent, but it is always there.

But getting back to the topic at hand.

A Protestant pastor in the church my inlaws attend made a very good point on this.
His particular sermon was “What have you sold your soul for?”
He went through the vices of everyday life and demonstrated how we make a decision toward the vices instead of God.
He centered it on what we place before God, a violation of the first commandment.
But given the title and how well it suits our topic…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.