Things are not as they seem

On September 20, 1996, my friend, Nickie was 13 years old. This translates to:
4,745 days old, or
113,880 hours old (one hundred and thirteen thousand, eight hundred and eighty), or
6,832,800 minutes old (six million, eight hundred and thirty-two thousand, eight hundred), or
409,968,000 seconds old (four hundred and nine million, nine hundred and sixty-eight thousand)!

Compare this last figure to there being more than 6,000,000,000 (six billion) people living in the world today. In other words, if Nickie gave birth to a child at the rate of one-per-second, from the very first second of her birth until her thirteenth birthday, her offspring would be about one-fourteenth that of the current population of our planet. Even if Nickie gave birth at the rate of one-child-per-second until she was 100 years old, her children would still be far fewer in number than the current population of the world!

Now, if your imagination is able, think about there being One God who connects us all – a loving God who has a plan – a plan for our eternal salvation! If it is hard to imagine that 6,000,000,000 individual living entities can possibly be interconnected by a single larger entity, consider that there are many billion individual neurons in each human brain – yes, each neuron having a life all of its own – and yes again, they are all interconnected!

Still difficult to believe? Well, imagine making a journey through the African jungle and coming upon a primitive tribe of people. Imagine this tribe not knowing anything about electricity or running water, never mind the “modern” world. Now imagine telling them about the existence of technology such as television, computers, cameras, telephones, medicine, and large cities. Would you expect them to grasp the meaning and implications of what you were telling them? Would you expect intelligent people living just a few hundred years ago to believe this stuff? Well then, might it also be presumptuous for us to assume that intelligence begins and ends with us simply because we do not yet understand God? Is it not wiser to at least consider the possibility that we too are primitive, and that a more intelligent world may really exist – such as a spiritual world that contains the living souls of our ancestors? Given the ease that we are able to save vast amounts of programming and data on our home computer, is it really that difficult to imagine that God can somehow save our souls into the Hereafter?

Next, ask yourself if you have the wit to figure-out how to manufacture a simple box of toothpicks? Do you think a group of otherwise “brilliant” professors, but all who lack any knowledge in mechanical design and manufacturing, could figure this out entirely on their own? How many trials and errors would it take any of us before we discovered an efficient method? Now ask yourself who among us has the innate wit to develop the techniques to: make a pencil or pen; create a light bulb; design and manufacture each and every component of a television set; devise a complete cellular telephone system; produce from raw material every type of item found within a modern city! Yes, there being six billion people explains why we are able to produce so much worthless junk, but was there ever a sufficient amount of natural wit within the human species for us to have brought our world to where it is at today? Indeed, is there any wit within us that was not God given?

Take a close look around, surely there must exist a God (and, of course, a powerful and deceitful evil spirit as well) that instructs, guides, and connects us! How else could six billion people, each with their own independent “freewill,” possibly maintain their existence? How else could our “modern” world ever have come about – over such a short period of time?

It is not the reality of God or the Hereafter that we should doubt, but our perceptions as to the reality of our world and our own self!

Note

Each of us has been blessed with specific talents and knowledge. Some of our talent and knowledge may be shared with others through teaching or training, but for the most part, our individual talent and knowledge remains isolated from that of others. For example, the talent and knowledge of a typical surgeon is usually distinct from that of a typical plumber; and the talent and knowledge of a typical politician is usually distinct from that of a typical farmer.

Now imagine the vast knowledge and understanding, not to mention the much needed cooperation, that would be required to safely govern and guide our world without causing a major catastrophe! Would it be reasonable to assume that six billion isolated fragments of talent and knowledge could possibly work together to manage and guide their own world? – surely there must exist some kind of higher-ordered consolidation of knowledge. But who on earth has the mental capacity to analyze and accurately integrate the extremely vast amounts of knowledge that would be required within such a consolidation? When we speak about guiding the entire world (over six billion people who are always in disagreement about things) we are no longer talking about an occupation, but at the very least a godlike entity. To simply produce “experts” within each and every field who advise policy makers would not suffice here. And to think that all the necessary analysis and planning can be accomplished through government think tanks, without the guidance and influence of God, is absurd!

I like the way you think. We need more philisophic types in the Church. And you’re right, thought does lead to action. I thought my way into the Church, and I’ve kept right on thinking myself closer to the Lord.

God bless,

How can Mary hear all those rosaries, that’s what I want to know.

Im not going to answer your whole question but just part.You may be making a point and thats fine but actually a neuron doesnt have a life of its own.You cut the body into a hundred pieces and there is no life.This tribesman has seen planes fly over and probably a speed boat or two.i don’t think he’d be shocked to see a tv.There have been people prophising for centuries that man will be able to fly or someday reach a planet.God never revealed that there was higher intelligence than man.Why should I believe it so?There could be.There could be another universe but God never said there was.Why should I believe it?There is a spiritual world that contains the souls of our ancestors.Its called Heaven.No one man could figure out how to mass produce a toothpick if he didn’t know how to make the machine.AS i said maybe you were making a point and you don’t need to answer.

My point here is that a neuron can live outside a body if nourished properly, yet it’s interconnected to all other neurons throughout the brain and spinal cord within the body. This can serve as an analogy that God can interconnect the minds of all 7 billion people living here on this planet.

Again, how does our world happen to survive with it having 7 billion people, and with minds independently from one another? What prevents the world from crashing? Surely there is an upper world along with God!

I really have no idea what kind of point you’re trying to make here.

Humans would be useless at doing anything without God directing us?

If so, I dislike that reasoning - God created us with intelligence just so that we could develop science, technology, literature, art, music etc. It greatly diminishes our idea of God if we are reduced to nothing more than fairly simple creatures awaiting his divine inspiration so that we can do anything of note.

My contention is that all true science and technology comes from another world. Have a close listen to the following passage of scripture:

Ecclesiastes 1:2 – 11: Vanity of vanities! All is vanity. What advantage does man have in all his work which he does under the sun? . . . That which has been is that which will be, and that which has been done is that which will be done. So there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which one might say, “See this, it is new”? Already it has existed for ages which were before us. There is no remembrance of earlier things, and also of the later things which will occur; there will be for them no remembrance among those who will come later still.

What? So there are cars and airplanes in heaven?

I actually believe that earthly technology and science comes from Satan. But I also believe that God knew it all before He created this world. I also see no reason to believe that this was the first and only world that God created. Again, I do not believe that our world could maintain itself without the help of a more advanced world.

Let me ask: How many people do you know that has the innate wit necessary to efficiently manufacture boxes of toothpicks. The task is really quite complex, and goes far beyond my innate wit. Imagine all the engineers and machine builders it would take to produce all the “stuff” we have in our world. How many people do you know who actually designed or built something of significance? Take a close look around you and see all the vasts amounts of “things” that needed to have been designed and built. And note that the wit to design computer chips is minimal compared to the wit necessary to design and build the machines to produce computer chips.

…well OK :confused:

Let me ask: How many people do you know that has the innate wit necessary to efficiently manufacture boxes of toothpicks. The task is really quite complex, and goes far beyond my innate wit. Imagine all the engineers and machine builders it would take to produce all the “stuff” we have in our world. How many people do you know who actually designed or built something of significance? Take a close look around you and see all the vasts amounts of “things” that needed to have been designed and built. And note that the wit to design computer chips is minimal compared to the wit necessary to design and build the machines to produce computer chips.

Modern technology is not miraculous, it is simply the cumulation of years of scientific progress which then finds use in technological applications.

While I may not know how to efficiently manufacture toothpicks, if I spend 10 years figuring out how to I probably would be able to. Our modern technological society is built on the life’s work of thousands of scientists, engineers, doctors and inventors.

I’m thinking, how many machine builders and designers must we have. We certainly have enough people to run the machines, but to build them? In 10 years I would still be stumped on how to build the machine to package the toothpicks! And, keep in mind that I used to build special machines when I was younger. Keep in mind all that happened in the past century. There is little room for trial and error. And if you got a team of people working on the building of machines, how would you get them to cooperate. Indeed, I would expect lots of arguing and disagreements! Again, take a close look around you and see all the machine building that would be necessary for our world to have grown as much as it did in the past century. Thousands of machine builders and designers would not suffice. Indeed, it would be more like many millions worldwide! And even then there would be little room for trial and error. My contention is that there is not enough innate wit available to make it all happen!

And, who designs and builds the machines necessary to manufacture computer chips?

Nice chatting with you!

Bob

which bible are you using?

New American Standard Bible

I have the New American Bible and your verses aren’t there.Nor in my Jerusalem Bible.1st bible reads:vANITies…All things are vanity.What profit has man from all the labor which he toils at under the sun?One generations passes and another comes,but the world forever stays.The sun rises and the sun goes down;then it pressses on to the place where it rises.Blowing now toward the south ,then toward the north,the wind turns again and aganin,resuming its rounds.I could go on but its nothing like yours.Is it Catholic?

Here’s the link. It may or may not be Catholic. I collected a lot of my quotes prior to my return to the Catholic Church.
biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ecclesiastes%201&version=NASB

Verses 1:2, 9-11

Here’s the same quote using the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition Bible, ECCLESIASTES, Versus 1:2,9-11.

vanity of vanities! All is vanity. … What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; and there is nothing new under the sun. Is there a thing of which it is said, “See, this is new”? It has been already, in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to happen among those who come after.

Think about it, there must be higher love
Down in the heart or hidden in the stars above
Without it, life is a wasted time
Look inside your heart, Ill look inside mine
Things look so bad everywhere
In this whole world, what is fair?
We walk blind and we try to see
Falling behind in what could be
-Steve Winwood, Higher Love lyrics

I don’t see anything in that that would make you believe there is another world?He’s saying that history repeats itself.Not so much as in new inventions but more like man never changes.Man acts a certain ways thousands of yrs. ago and he really hasn/t changed.Someone may have a better explanation.

my explanation:God is the higher love.not man loving woman.The man’s looking for a deeper love than he has found.Are things suppose to be fair in this world?Who says.God never did.Some people are born blind.Some rich.'Falling behind in what could be"what’s that mean to you?Don’t see what he saying.

Don’t you believe in Heaven and hell? Heaven is another world that is above us as we speak! Surely you believe in another world where our souls go to after bodily death in this world!

Why is it that people believe in Heaven and hell but deny that they have any implications for us in this world? Surely they can have an effect on us. Surely the souls in Heaven have access to vast amounts of knowledge being so close to God!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.