Things that make Christianity Unique

What are some things you can think of that makes Christianity unique when compared to other faiths? Apart from being true, of course.

One thing that comes to mind is that we have a human God (“he came down from heaven … and became man”). We may take that for granted but that doesn’t happen anywhere else. In almost every other religion the deity is separate from humanity, and Islam even makes a point of this (“He begets not, nor is He begotten”).

What do you think makes our faith different than other faiths?

Strange to have a God that actually suffers or can suffer. Definitely very strange.

I think this goes along with your idea, the human God. Just the fact that God is so close and available to us. We are able to have a relationship with him like any other person. It’s amazing to me how he’s always there with us at our side in all that we do. It’s the only way I have the courage and trust to do what is right when the whole world around me says I’m crazy. This is real power that we get from God. He enables us to do so much more than we possibly could on our own.

Our God, our hero, hung on a cross!-He willingly suffered excruciating humiliation and pain and death at the hands of His own creation to prove how much He loves us in spite of our sin, in spite of our hatred of Him. Our God is humble, amazingly. And kind and trustworthy and gentle and merciful and true, even if He could squash us like a bug. Our God is love; you won’t find anything like Him in other faiths.

Almost all other religions (which may be a gross over-generalization) required man to bleed to get the attention of the gods.

Our God bled to get the attention of mankind.

Jesus was prophesied for thousands of years before he came in specific detail. Most deities or divine manifestations can only claim rather vague and tenuous claims to having been anticipated. He did not fail to fulfill a single one of the many prophesies given so that he could be identified. The statistics for the probabilities for this level of accuracy are mind blowing.

Our God made covenants-oaths that hold both parties bound-with us, his creatures!

Not only that! When he made the covenant with Abraham, his presence passed through the animal cut sacrifice TWICE!! Which essentially says, “If I violate this covenant, let it be done to me as it was to this animal.” AND ALSO “If YOU violate this covenant, let it also be done to me as it was to this animal.” And we violated it. And he took our punishment.

Pagan gods who had rather a tough time weren’t entirely uncommon.

The resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Are you implying that Christianity’s concept of the incarnation and atonement was taken from Paganism? Because that is beyond wrong and extremely offensive.

I don’t think that was the intention. All Kaninchen stated was that some polytheistic religions show their gods as capable of suffering, which is admittedly true. He didn’t say the crucifixion was stolen from anything.

Having said that there are still differences. Pagan gods like Prometheus and Loki, in their mythologies, only really suffer at the hands of other deities. Christianity’s the only religion I can think of where God suffers at the hands of humans.

On top of that, the Gospels were not meant to be mythological accounts.

It was revealed to man, not made up by man.

Judaism and Christianity, of all the world religions, are the only ones that are not man made.

What kind of Judaism are we speaking about here? There are certainly man made elements of Judaism today that are not of God (i.e. Rabbinical Judaism and its Talmud), and even in Jesus’ time the Pharisees had man made traditions of their own - some of which would seep into the later Talmud.

I think it would be better to say that Judaism is an inspired religion, and Christianity (specifically Catholicism) is an inspired religion that is continually guided by inspiration so as not to fall into man made error. Everything the Catholic faith has is from God. This is not so with any other religion, not even Judaism, which has fallen into many errors and man made doctrine apart from its original inspiration.

Aren’t you overthinking this? I am speaking of the time from creation to the end of the Mosaic covenant. Up to Second Temple Judaism. Never mind today - there are as many religions are there are millennials.

“She,” actually. :wink:

Indeed, I was just pointing out that blanket statements need checking first.

Yes this. A being powefull enough to avoid sufferance anf yet does not in order to help beings who can be easily subjected to Him. A powerfull being allowing freedom even if freedom may lead to that power’s rules being broken.
We are not like that. Humans in power we want our rules respected 24/7 and if broken punishment is sure to follow.

The Trinity and the Incarnation

Ah, my mistake then.

John 3:16-21 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. 19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what they have done has been done in the sight of God.

The Apostle’s Creed
I believe in God,
the Father Almighty,
Creator of Heaven and earth;
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, Our Lord,
Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
born of the Virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, died, and was buried.
He descended into Hell.
The third day He arose again from the dead;
He ascended into Heaven,
sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty;
from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy Catholic Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.