Things we love about Our Blessed Mother

I was thinking…with it being the Assumption tomorrow, and all the threads about people making their Total Consecration to Mary…

what are some things we really love about her? :slight_smile:

I used to be a Protestant and I barely ever thought about Mary, and when I did, it was in a negative way :frowning: I’m not saying all Protestants are like me, but I was. It makes me very sad now and I’ll probably spend all my life offering reparation for that.

and now, it just makes me so sad to hear people say things like “Mary was just a vessel…”. I know it’s just what they were taught, it’s not their fault. But I’m just sad that such ideas are taught at all… that people are raised with the idea that Catholics “worship” Our Lady and that she’s unimportant, that she “was just someone who God used as a vessel, the end”. Our poor Mother must really suffer hearing her children say things like that?? and I used to say them too :frowning: how sad! she really wants everyone to know her and her dear Son.

so what are some things that are just really special and wonderful about Our Lady :slight_smile: what are your favourite pictures of her? devotions? prayers?

God bless

A favorite morning prayer:

My Queen and my Mother,
I give myself entirely to you;
and to show my devotion to you,
I consecrate to you this day my eyes,
my ears, my mouth, my heart,
my whole being without reserve.
Wherefore, good Mother, as I am your own,
keep me, guard me, as your property and possession.
Amen.

I love how Mary, as our mother, brings us to her Son Jesus.
Those for whom I am praying, I entrust into her tender arms.

I love my holy Mother! She helps me pray to Her Son all the time!

what I love about my Mother :slight_smile:

that she lead me to her Son Jesus
that she lead me to the Church and to the Eucharist
that she said ‘yes’ to the Incarnation
that she never gives up on us!
that she loved me, even when I didn’t love her.
that she helps me love Jesus better
that she prays for us

Thank you 4EverHis, for that beautiful picture!

I love our Mother because she taught us to “Do whatever he tells you.” (John 2:5)

what a beautiful prayer! :slight_smile: thanks for sharing!

I love that she was, like my earthly mother, self-sacrificing and humble. I love that she loved God with a pure heart, pure enough for Him to make a home in her. I love that she suffered for Jesus, and because of Jesus, for us, whom He had come to save. Remember when the prophet Simeon told her that her heart would be pierced?)

Now that I am a mother myself, of four beautiful children, I know, to some extent, how a mother’s heart suffers untold tortures, when her child is hurt, either emotionally or physically. I know this from very tiny episodes, (thank God) but still it causes me to look with great admiration and empathy on the Mother of Jesus, who watched her Son suffer so greatly. Wouldn’t she have wanted, like every mother, to comfort Him, to step in and do something drastic to save her Child? Wouldn’t she have even given her own life to stop His pain? Absolutely. Yet, she knew Him, and His mission, and had to sacrifice. Of this, I am certain: she suffered, mutely, willingly, the suffering of a martyr. For this, I love her most.

I personally have no idea why I love Mary so much. I never intended to. I just started saying the Rosary because I was teaching it to my 4th grade religious education students and after a time I found my self crying tears of love and joy while praying the Hail Mary. Now I feel so much love for her that it amazes me.

Personally I love the Hail Holy Queen prayer, and the Memorare. They’re such beautiful prayers :love:
And I am so grateful to our Mother that she visits us time to time in apparitions. It’s so easy to figure out how much she loves us and wants to help us to Heaven!

Hail Holy Queen:
Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of mercy, our light, our sweetness, and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this vale of tears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy towards us and after this, our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary. V. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God. R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.

Memorare:
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thy intercession was left unaided. Inspired with this confidence, we turn to thee, O Virgin of virgins, our Mother. To thee we come, before thee we stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, do not despise our petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer us. Amen.

I think the Memorare is my favorite Mary prayer - besides the Rosary, of course. I love the Blessed Mother because she takes my imperfect prayers and makes them perfect before she presents them to Jesus! :heart:

There is so much that I love about her and like my earthly mother (I love her to bits btw) I have a complex relationship with her.

I love in particular Our Lady’s own prophesy in the Bible which has constantly come to pass (Luke 1.48) that, ‘all generations shall call me blessed’ … and which church has been calling her ‘blessed’ for 2000 years?

The other thing that I love is that she can speak fluent French and that she designed a holy medal :slight_smile:

This on the Feast day of the Assumption.

Rove

Here’s part of the prayer of St. Louis de Montfort to Jesus. I think it’s so beautiful, because it is all about being thankful for having been given such a good mother. I really love the part highlighted in blue. It chokes me up when I get to that part.

O most loving Jesus, deign to let me pour forth my gratitude before Thee, for the grace Thou hast bestowed upon me in giving me to Thy holy Mother through the devotion of Holy Bondage, that she may be my advocate in the presence of Thy majesty and my support in my extreme misery. Alas, O Lord! I am so wretched that without this dear Mother I should be certainly lost. Yes, Mary is necessary for me at Thy side and everywhere that she may appease Thy just wrath, because I have so often offended Thee; that she may save me from the eternal punishment of Thy justice, which I deserve; that she may contemplate Thee, speak to Thee, pray to Thee, approach Thee and please Thee; that she may help me to save my soul and the souls of others; in short, Mary is necessary for me that I may always do Thy holy will and seek Thy greater glory in all things. Ah, would that I could proclaim throughout the whole world the mercy that Thou hast shown to me ! Would that everyone might know I should be already damned, were it not for Mary! Would that I might offer worthy thanksgiving for so great a blessing! Mary is in me. Oh, what a treasure! Oh, what a consolation! And shall I not be entirely hers? Oh, what ingratitude! My dear Saviour, send me death rather than such a calamity, for I would rather die than live without belonging entirely to Mary. With St. John the Evangelist at the foot of the Cross, I have taken her a thousand times for my own and as many times have given myself to her; but if I have not yet done it as Thou, dear Jesus, dost wish, I now renew this offering as Thou dost desire me to renew it. And if Thou seest in my soul or my body anything that does not belong to this august princess, I pray Thee to take it and cast it far from me, for whatever in me does not belong to Mary is unworthy of Thee.

The Blessed Virgin Mary. You just have to love when you say that name. I love that she is so kind and gentle to us.

We have a framed print, kind of like this one, up in our living room. The one we have is a little different in that Mary has a gold aura around her head and not the twelve stars and it only has Jesus and Mary in it, no angels. But I think she is so beautiful in the picture we have. Even a little more than in this one. :slight_smile: It’s been a great icon to pray with and to draw closer to Our Lady.

http://precioustreasures.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/our-lady-of-the-angels-b.jpg

Isn’t it sometimes frustrating to try and tell others how much you love Our Lady. I mean, you could go on and on, and still feel like you haven’t even begun to make it known properly. Maybe that’s why we love her so much. She’s beyond all words, really. She’s just that beautiful. She’s everything beautiful about creation. Hail Mary, full of grace!

Oh, and the songs we sing to her. My favourite just might be “When Creation was Begun”. I sang that to my youngest daughter when she was a baby. From the first night in the hospital. She’s seven now and she loves that song. When she was younger, she used to tell us at bedtime, “sing ‘when crayshion’.” And of course, “Ave Maria”. A pure classic.

Well, okay, like I said, could go on and on, eh!

In Jesus and Mary,
Ken G

I love this thread!!!

I’m thankful that even though many christians do not know nor love her, Mary puts herself out there through apparitions in order that little ones such as us might benefit from her intercession. She cares very little about the insults and blasphemies people throw against her, just like her divine Son.

**i love our Mother Mary because Jesus loved His Mother!

Mary is the only human being who was with Jesus from conception to death on earth and now she is with Him in Heaven.

Imagine saying “yes” to be the Mother of God? Imagine holding baby Jesus and looking into His beautiful eyes, seeing Him smile, laugh & cry. Imagine feeding Him, caressing His perfect face and loving Him as only a mother can love!

She is a perfect example of selfless love.

Mary teaches me about compassion and love and she is leading me closer to her Son, Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ every day!!!**

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

[quote="4Everhis]I was thinking…with it being the Assumption tomorrow, and all the threads about people making their Total Consecration to Mary…

what are some things we really love about her?

I used to be a Protestant and I barely ever thought about Mary, and when I did, it was in a negative way I’m not saying all Protestants are like me, but I was. It makes me very sad now and I’ll probably spend all my life offering reparation for that.
[/quote]

Ditto :(. I committed detestable sins against Mary. What blows my head off is that she prayed for me, loved me, and saved my soul in spite of my fighting her, insulting her and degrading her . . . God . . . Dear God . . .

And she treasured and found joy in my soul in spite of all this . . . She felt joy in carrying this evil wretch in her womb, before giving birth to me inside her Holy Church . . . oh King of Heaven, how can you pour so much grace into your daughter? How can such beauty, mercy and tender love be poured out in overwhelming charity on one such as I? How can she even accept me in Consecration to her, considering what I have been and done? How have I deserved that the Mother of my Lord should come to me?

[quote=4Everhis]and now, it just makes me so sad to hear people say things like “Mary was just a vessel…”. I know it’s just what they were taught, it’s not their fault. But I’m just sad that such ideas are taught at all… that people are raised with the idea that Catholics “worship” Our Lady and that she’s unimportant, that she “was just someone who God used as a vessel, the end”. Our poor Mother must really suffer hearing her children say things like that?? and I used to say them too how sad! she really wants everyone to know her and her dear Son.
[/quote]

It’s hard to say anything to this . . . It’s so well said, true and terrible . . . :frowning: :frowning:

[quote=4Everhis]so what are some things that are just really special and wonderful about Our Lady
[/quote]

She saved my soul. She prayed me into the Catholic Church, in spite of everything I did and said against her. She saved my life. She gave me life in her Annunciation, in standing at the Cross as Co-Redemptrix, and again in bringing me home to her Son, to her Catholic Church.

I don’t try to tell others. Partly because they would look at me very askance if I did (I still live with my Protestant family) ;). But I agree with you about how incredible is love for Mary, how amazing it is that one can love her so. It blinds my heart with joy to consider how beautiful she is; the thought of her stirs the soul to cry out worship to God.

“Blessed art thou among women! Blessed! Blessed! And blessed is the fruit of thy womb! Blessed. Glory be to God in Heaven, God above all the saints and kingdoms and powers, God consuming and creating all virtues and all the glittering treasure-mountains of Heaven!”

Thanks be to the Lamb of God.

Even though I am not Catholic, I love her as well. I love her gentleness, I love how she was so strong yet so feminine in the purest sense of the word.

I can relate to that feeling of being drawn to her for no explicable reason. Not long ago, I was visiting a lovely Catholic Cathedral I attend sometimes just because I wanted a quite place to sit and contemplate for a while. As I walked toward the back door, I passed a beautiful white statue of Mary with a bouquet of roses at her feet nestled against the side wall of the outside of the church.

I paused. I walked up the the statue, looked at if for a few minutes, then bowed my head and said, "Peace be with you Mother, " for no practical reason.

But right after I said that, a curiously happy, sort of bright feeling, rose up within me, the kind you get when you open a birthday present and it’s even better than what you had hoped for.

That’s lovely :). Thanks for sharing it with us.

I’d like to thank everyone for sharing their experience of love for and from our Virgin Mother of God, our Holy Blessed Mary on this thread. It is quite remarkable and incredible when you think of it, that we all share the same often unexpected and unexplainable feelings. What a special day!

Lief Erikson - wow, your post made my night. Actually, all these posts have.
apromisemade - Your post was awesome too! Perhaps Our Lady is calling you closer to her son though her?

How blessed we are to be among all the generations to call her blessed!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.