Think of a world without any flowers

Is it fragrant?

1 Like

These honeysuckle flowers remind me of my grandmother. They grew in her backyard.

12 Likes

10 Likes

My favorites Forget me Nots and Magnolias

12 Likes

Also the prickly pear cactus in the southwest. Not only a delicious and healthy food, but they do a lovely bloom in the spring. One of nature’s most versatile plants:

Just avoid giving them a hug

12 Likes

iirc, I think it does, but I’ve noticed the flowers are getting smaller. Not sure if due to age or perhaps lack of manure - it does get regular fertilizer though.

2 Likes

“The splendour of the rose and the whiteness of the lily
do not rob the little violet of it’s scent nor the daisy of its simple charm.
If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness.”
― St. Therese of Lisieux

13 Likes

Stargazer Lily:

11 Likes

My dad had a cactus and succulent garden at our house for many years. This was one of his favorites. Gorgeous blooms!

4 Likes

Just found this lovely thread :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I grew zinnias on my balcony.

Hummingbirds were attracted to them and became frequent visitors. Bumblebees and honeybees also psd visits. It was nice knowing my flowers were feeding the local wildlife.

15 Likes

I love zinnias! I am going to try a bunch of zinnias this year. The deer didn’t seem to like them, so I am going to try more of them this year. So many different varieties!

5 Likes

I love big red zinnias. Hummingbirds prefer the red ones over the other colors.

I usually have a bunch of cut zinnias in a pitcher on my kitchen table.

Watch out for Japanese beetles. They like to eat the zinnias.

3 Likes

I am excited to try the lime green ones!

1 Like

You mean like this? I think Burpee has them.

8 Likes

Those are cool.

5 Likes

I call these Pom Pom Chrysanthemums - I think it’s gorgeous.

9 Likes

I like big and colorful flowers, but I have a special fondness for grass flowers. There are many kinds of grass flowers.

Here are two simple ones:

grass flower 1

A few grass flowers have a little splash of bright color, like this one:

And there are many ornamental grass flowers, like this one:

grass flower 4

Look closely at the grasses as you walk by.

12 Likes

There were no flowers for the vast majority of the time there has been life on earth. They appeared about 125 million years ago.

2 Likes

‘And why do you worry about clothes? Consider how the lilies of the field grow: They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his glory was adorned like one of these.’ - Matt 6:28-29

10 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.