Is the nectar toxic?
I used to suck the nectar of hibiscus flowers.
They also like roses. My late mother also had rose bushes. The Japanese beetles devoured them like a shredder does paper.
Honestly, I don’t remember.
No. The whole flower is edible. Also, I believe they make tea from the nectar.
Monkshood is supposed to be toxic, however bees like it, crawl right in there and lap it up.
And I found out recently that my kids sucked the nectar when they were little.
They seem ok.
Are you sure it was Monkshood they sucked the nectar from? That is one of the deadliest plants on earth. As is Oleander, Poison Hemlock, Foxglove and many others. Kids need to be taught at a very early age to NOT put things into their mouths unless they know for certain they’re safe – and it’s a parental duty to teach that.
And we must remember that what is toxic to humans may not be so to insects and animals, whose systems are different than ours. Just because bees, birds and some mammals can safely eat certain plants doesn’t mean WE can. That is a faulty method of judging their safety.
A type of slipper orchid I recently bought. Not the actual one in the picture, but a young plant that I hope will flower later this year.
Which reminds me that we are being encouraged to participate in the “33 Days To Morning Glory” , starting on Friday in preparation for England’s rededication to Mary as “Mary’s Dowry” by our bishops on March 29th.
My mother’s favourite flowers were freesias .
Such delicate , colourful creatures which emanate such a rich , beautiful aroma .
After praying to St. Therese for help instead of getting a rose my wife bought three bunches of tulips.
They are lovely though.
I do like purple flowers.
Mary holding roses?
I don’t want to think of a world without any flowers. I’m looking forward to their abundance in the new earth, while enjoying those we have, right here.