Thinking about Franciscan secular order

Hi,

I have been thinking about joining a Franciscan secular order.
St. John Vianney.

There does not seem to be a great amount of information beyond the very basic. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about this order? I have reached out and made contact, and they have responded. I just would like to know more before going in.

Your feedback, comments and opinions are most welcome and appreciated!
Thanks,
-E

I assume that you mean secular Franciscan as in third order Franciscan? I don’t know a whole lot about them, but I have been researching them for a few months and I have attended two of their meetings as a guest, with a third coming up this Sunday. I don’t know specifically the group you mentioned, but the one in my parish, Saint Michael Secular Franciscan order, is wonderful. I am heavily drawn to the Franciscan rule, and the members of the order are intelligent, deeply dedicated to God, and charitable when they have disagreements between them. Of course, I also greatly love Saint Francis and Saint Claire! I wish that I could tell you more, but I am still learning about them and I don’t have experience with your local group. I’m sure that others will have more for you. I haven’t been in the church for a year yet, so I can’t seek formation with them yet, but so far I am extremely eager for when I can. I don’t know where God will ultimately have me serve, maybe even first order monastic life, but if it is third order Secular Franciscan I know that I will have a fulfilling way of serving with them.

Thanks Newcalling! Yes it is a third order. It is nice to hear from people with even a little exposure. Every thread of experience forms a tapestry. I look forward to meeting them. I would just like to know as much about them as I can before I meet them, so I can more out of the time I spend with them.
Thanks again!

Contact the particular OFS that you are interested in & inform them that you would like to attend the monthy meetings as an Inquirer. This will give you the opportunity to find out more about OFS & what they are involved in & how they function. It will also be an opportunity for you to discern whether there is a calling to the Order. God bless.

What Tawny said… Also if you have any specific questions please ask. Know that the OFS is not a club but a real religious order as the OFM and the Poor Claire’s. It is an eternal commitment and it takes atleast around 4 years to be professed. God bless you in your decernment!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.