Thinking about suicide...

Lately, I’ve had recurring thoughts about suicide. I don’t want to commit it, but I just can’t stop thinking about it. I know that it’s a sin in the Catholic Church, and it’s very selfish of a person to do so, but sometimes it just seems so tempting. I think the devil’s trying to get me. Please pray for me! I’ve been very confused lately, and I can’t afford to go to a counselor. I’m not sure what I want with my life. Thank you for your prayers - I appreciate them.

Praying for you.

Please, please, please don’t even THINK about doing that!

1-800-273-TALK is a National Suicide Hotline-please call them if you think you might be suicidal!

Are you actually tempted to harm yourself ? I don’t know about free counselors but there are free hotlines that offer help & of course priests that will help & listen to you.
God loves you & has a plan for your life. Hang in there & make a phone call ASAP.
Will be praying for you.:slight_smile:

Dear JA25 we can all feel unhappy and lost at times. I hope and pray you feel and think with more hope and happiness soon :grouphug:

Jesus asks us to love others and when He judges our souls, He made clear in Matthew 25 verses 31-46, that He judges souls by whether or not that have lived lives of actual kindness and help to others. Suicide is in fact selfish and hurts others and it throws away the gift of life God gives. Sometimes though people are in full possession of free choice in doing so. May God protect you. Kindness and helping others can be in little ways like kind words or even a smile, but also in doing good for others in whatever way we can…not with the intention that we feel good or someone rewards us and then being upset if they don’t thank us…but just to do the kindness.

Perhaps you are having difficulty in thinking of others rather than yourself and being locked up in your own thoughts, I ask our God to help you to be kind and good to others in any way you can, as well as looking after yourself.

The following poem “But” was written by a Divine Word Missionary, inspiring us to love of others, even in the smallest gestures of human kindness.

It was only a sunny smile,
And little it cost in the giving;
But it scattered the night
Like morning light,
And made the day worth living.
Through life’s dark warp a woof it wove
In shining colours of hope and love;
And the angels smiled as they watched above,
Yet little it cost in the giving.

It was only a kindly word, a word that was lightly spoken;
But not in vain,
For it stilled the pain
Of a heart that was nearly broken
It strengthened a faith beset with fears,
And groping blindly through mists of tears,
For light to brighten the coming years,
Although it was lightly spoken.

It was only a helping hand
And it seemed of little availing;
But its clasp was warm,
And it saved from harm
A brother whose strength was failing.
Its touch was tender as angels’ wings
But it rolled the stone from the hidden springs
And pointed the way to higher things,
Though it seemed of little availing.

prayers will be offered. Our Lord will not let you fall, hang on, fight hard you make Him proud.

Dear JA25 I ask God to help you have happier thoughts and feelings soon. Loving God please help JA25 to find worthwhile activities and aims, and good friends so that life becomes more meaningful. :slight_smile:

“Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You; or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and make You welcome; naked and clothe You; sick or in prison and go to see You?” Jesus replies “I tell you solemnly, in so far as you did this to one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did it to me.” “In so far as you neglected to do this to one of the least, you neglected to do it to me.” [Matthew 25:37-40, 45-46]

You say that when we do a kindness to anyone we do it for You. [Matthew 25:40]. You teach that the consequence of not living this Christ-love towards others is self-condemnation to that miserable pit where no love penetrates, for all who dwell within have ultimately rejected divine love.

Our love “is not to be mere words or mere talk, but something real and active; only by this can we be certain that we are children of the truth.” [John 3:18-19] Your apostle Paul exhorts, “Do not let your love be pretence, but sincerely prefer good to evil. Love each other as brothers should, and have a profound respect for each other…If any of the saints are in need you must share with them; and you must make hospitality your special care.” [Romans 12:9-13]

“Is there a poor brother among you, one of your brothers, in any town of yours? Do not harden your heart or close your hand against that poor brother of yours, but be open-handed with him.” [Deuteronomy 15:7-8] “Each one should give what he has decided in his own mind, not grudgingly or because he is made to, ‘for God loves a cheerful giver.’” [Proverbs 28:2] “And there is no limit to the blessings which God can send you…for yourselves…for all sorts of good works.” [2Corinthians 9:6-8] “None of us lives for himself only.” [Romans 14:7]

Dear JA25,

You are in my thoughts and prayers …

:gopray:

My advice is that you don’t shut down.

As requested above call a hotline, or get yourself into a grief or loss counseling group. But keep talking to people.

Come here and explain the difficulties in your life. You are anonymous here but you also are able to connect with Catholics who love and support you through your pain.

There are times in life, where mentally and emotionally a mind just shuts down in an attempt to deal with a problem.

The time in my life that it happened, I was psychologically incapable of moving through and dealing with a close family relationship that cut me to the heart.

And like you spoke of, it was rediculous but I began having talks with God about suicide. I’ve spoken at group settings with other people about this, and I was surprised that the same thing had occured with them.

Personally conversations with God about how to commit suicide.

Life’s worth living - it might not “feel” like it today, but hang on for tomorrow. Give your pain to Christ, talk to Him and talk to us.

My prayers are with you always.

Please don’t. Through the grace of God, a few years ago I was given the perspective of a friend who experienced the suicide of a colleague.

We think it won’t matter to others, but it does. It matters most of all to God. Pray He gives you comfort.

Reach out to a priest or that hot line.

:signofcross:

I can understand your situation. I’m in a similar one, though I haven’t considered suicide. I am without a job and I feel so helpless sometimes, but I am under psychiatric care. Have you considered talking to someone you trust–a family member or a close friend? Sometimes it helps to just get this stuff out in the open and get it off your shoulders. It might even help to talk to a priest or pray in front of the Blessed Sacrament. Christ knows all too well our struggles and suffering and is there to comfort us. I know it seems difficult sometimes, but you must keep holding on and praying. Ending your life is not the answer. I tell people who are considering it to think about their family and friends and the trauma they would go through if they lost you. Sometimes, people think they are doing them a favor by leaving, but, believe me, you are not.

You are not alone in this. There are so many resources for people who are struggling in life. Use them! NAMI has support groups all over this country and there are hotlines where you can to a person immediately if you are thinking of suicide. 1-800-SUICIDE is the most well known hotline.

NAMI Support Group Search:

nami.org/template.cfm?section=Your_Local_Nami

Also, have you looked into receiving free or low-cost therapy and medication assistance in your county? I am under state care because I am unemployed and, even though it isn’t the best there is, I am feeling better each day. Look under the state listings in your phone book. It should be under “mental health”, “community health”, or “public health.”

*Hear my prayer, O God,
give ear to my supplications!
In your faithfulness answer me,
in your righteousness!
Enter not into judgment with your servant
for no one living is righteous before you.

For the enemy has pursued me,
has crushed my life to the ground,
and has made me sit in darkness like those long dead.
Therefore my spirit faints within me;
my heart within me is appalled.
I remember the days of old,
I meditate on all that you have done;
I muse on what your hands have wrought,
I stretch out my hands to you;
my soul thirsts for you like a parched land.

Make haste to answer me, O God, My spirit fails!
Hide not your face from me,
lest I be like those who go down to the Pit,
Let me hear in the mourning of your steadfast love,
for in you I put my trust.

Teach me the way I should go,
for to you I lift up my soul.
Deliver me, O God, from my enemies.

I have fled to you for refuge!

Teach me to do your will for you are my God!

Let your good spirit lead me on a level path!

Glory be to the Father,
and the Son,
and the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning
is now and ever shall be world without end.

Amen.*

Here’s some advice from an old man… :slight_smile:

1. Stop entertaining the thoughts. It’s a temptation like any other temptation. The easiest time to kill a snake is when it’s a baby. The easiest time to kill a temptation is when it first starts. Think of something else. Say a Hail Mary. Say the prayer to St. Michael, the Archangel.

2. Keep holy water and blessed salt around your home. Use them liberally.

3. Say your Rosary daily. I don’t care if you don’t like it. Do it. It’s the “preferred small arm” of Our Lady’s Army! It is the scourge of the devil.

4. Keep your final end in mind. We all die, but we must die in God’s time, not ours. God is the Author of Life, not us. If we try to be God, then we risk eternal damnation!

5. If you’re depressed or feeling low, here’s an almost sure cure if you don’t have some sort of chemical or hormonal imbalance; Go find someone worse off than yourself, and help them! Go visit a nursing home! Go help a poor person! Give 'em a meal, a handout, something.

6. Go to Confession frequently. Pope John Paul II and Mother Theresa of Calcutta went weekly. Are you better than them? :slight_smile:

7. Go to Mass during the week, if at all possible. Also, make holy hours before the Blessed Sacrament at least once/week. Supercharge your spiritual life! :slight_smile:

God bless!

Scooby

Excellent advice Scooby and all other posters.

This one is particularly true:

1. If you’re depressed or feeling low, here’s an almost sure cure if you don’t have some sort of chemical or hormonal imbalance; Go find someone worse off than yourself, and help them! Go visit a nursing home! Go help a poor person! Give 'em a meal, a handout, something.

Listen…please get help. NOW. Go to the nearest ER if you have to…

In the U.S., call 1-800-273-8255
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

Well, the thing is, I don’t have any close friends. I’m a pretty shy person, and I have a strong fear of social relationships. Some people are afraid spiders or snakes - I’m afraid of making friends. I know the only way to conquer a fear is to face it, but I’m so scared and nervous to do so. Every time I try, I end up crying and going home.

In 8th grade, I had a really close friend for a few months. I was crazy about him. But then one day, he just stopped talking to me, and I’m not sure why. I asked him about it and everything, but he just ignored my questions. So ever since then, I’ve been reluctant to make friends. I don’t want to get hurt again. It took me a couple of years to get over that relationship.

I don’t want to sound selfish or arrogant, and I appologize if I come off that way.

I will take your advice and try helping other people out. I always find that I feel better when I do.
I don’t think I should call a hotline, though. My case isn’t too serious, and I don’t want to bother them with anything miniscule - they have enough to deal with, I’m sure!

Thank you all for your advice! I’ll be praying for you, too.

Firstly JA here is an internet hug for you:hug3::console:

I am really sorry these thoughts are regularly coming into your mind…it must be frightening and make you feel terrible.Of course you will be in my prayers and prayers are our defence against the evil one tempting us. You already know the impact of suicide I know.All I will share with you is that you are loved by God and by us all. We all have low points in our life.I can tell you the thought has crossed my mind more than once in my life.Luckily for me God guided me back along the right path again.I went on to have children and grandchildren and I never thought that would happen to me! In the meantime make an appointment and have a chat with your priest he will give you good advice.Many of the saints endured temptaions of varying sorts.Speak to your doctor or a helpline counsellor if things get heightened.You can share with us at any time on CAF and we will all support you with love and prayers God bless my friend xxx xo

Mother Mary I ask your intercession for JA25 who us suffering

PRAYER TO
OUR SORROWFUL MOTHER
O Mother of Sorrows, thou,
who beneath the Cross of Jesus
were given to us as our Mother,
look down with pity on us,
thy children, who weep and mourn in this valley of tears.
By that sword of sorrow which pierced thy Heart
when thou looked upon the Face of thy dead Son,
obtain for us that comfort
we so sorely need in our sufferings.

Thou were given to us our Mother
in the hour of thy greatest grief
that thou might be mindful of our frailty
and the evils that press upon us.
Without thy aid, O Sorrowful Mother,
we cannot gain the victory
in this struggle against flesh and blood.
Therefore, we seek thy help,
O Queen of Sorrows,
lest we fall prey to the wiles of the enemy.
We are orphans in need of the guiding hand of our Mother
amid the dangers that threaten our destruction.
Thou whose grief was boundless as the sea,
grant us by the memory of those sorrows
the strength to be victorious.

Intercede further, O Mother of Sorrows,
for us and all who are near and dear to us,
that we may ever do the Will of thy Son,
and may direct all our actions to His honour,
and to the furtherance of devotion to thy sorrows.

Amen.

Virgin Most Sorrowful,
pray for us.

Say 1 of each prayer…

Our Father…
Hail Mary…
Glory Be…

Dude OMG dont even THINK ABOUT IT!!!
Life is hard at times but u have many reasons to live, u just havent found your purpose, wich is to proclaim to gospel to others so they can be saved. God loves you, thats why he created you.

If u do that u will probably go you know where for eternity…and that is a place u do not even want to smell. You arent the only one having a hard time, please dont do it.

:hug3:

Hug here, from me as well.

I can sympathize with you about high school … I went from rural school where two people were in my grade and then was bused up town into a class of 200 and I didn’t know anyone.

Highschool ends. :stuck_out_tongue: Thank you God.

Social anxiety sucks.

Baby steps.

I didn’t do this (I had to take the bus home each day) but if you’re able to involve yourself in groups - music practice, debate, a sport you like, those activities give you a reason to be around people.

Check out what activities your Church has, or your community has, and get involved there to help work through that social anxiety (and at the same time help other people out).

**I am Schizophrenic and am temped this way as well.
The closer I get to God, the more Satan temps me.
I will be praying for you!!!

Don’t apologize. I really think you and I are very similar. I have trouble making friends as well because I have been hurt several times in the past by friends I trusted. I am afraid to get close to them because I don’t want to get hurt again. Granted, these were non-Christian people and it was before my reversion to the Church. Since my reversion, I’ve been hanging out with completely Catholic Young Adults and I couldn’t ask for better people to be friends with, but I still can’t get close to them. My past is a huge obstacle and I need to find a way to get around it, and you do too. We can’t go through life always scared that someone is going to hurt us because our life is meant to be enjoyed. Jesus is the one person we should trust with everything because He will never hurt us and if we trust Him, then we can trust others.

I’m in the process of finding a therapist that provides sliding scale fees and I have been fortunate to find one such place that is run totally by Christians. I urge you to do some searching online to see if you can find the same. I am a huge researcher so I would be willing to help you if you would like to give me the whereabouts of your location (just general would do as I don’t want to be nosy or worrisome). Help is there, but you must be willing to use it. Don’t feel like you are above hotlines or therapy. They are there for anyone to use–from the mildest case like yours to the most severe.

Please let me know if I can help. I will continue to pray for you when I go to visit the Blessed Sacrament after Confession and before Mass tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Memorare (Prayer to Our Lady)
Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection, implored your help, or sought your intercession, was left unaided.
Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother. To you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in your mercy, hear and answer me. Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.