Thinking of Becoming a Benedictine Oblate

Ever since soon after my conversion to Catholicism I have felt a strong attraction to the Benedictine way of life. Part of me would love to become a monk but I know thats not where God is calling me and I’m ok with that. I do however think God is calling me to become an oblate of the order.

I would like to know from the Benedictine Oblates around, especially those near the Fresno, Bakersfield area, what you like about being an oblate and what I should do in discerning this call?

Thank you and God Bless,

Hi danielsisk619,

There’s a Benedictine Spirituality Forum here on CAF . . . and we have several oblates who are regulars there . . . *we welcome all visitors *. . . and are studying the Holy Rule of St. Benedict right now . . . :compcoff: . . . day by day . . . with the Daily Reflections from the Rule placed on the site each morning . . . just do a search in the Forums for us if you’d like to drop by . . . and you will see all our posts from day one . . . or click on the link below and you’ll be taken to our Daily Reflection site . . .

Link: forums.catholic.com/group.php?groupid=35

If you want to repeat your question on the Forum . . . I’m sure you’ll get a response from some of the oblates there . . .
[/RIGHT]

This page has a lot of information on being an oblate: osb.org/obl/index.html

This page shows Benedictine monasteries in California: atlas.osb-international.info/atlas/geo/NA_US_CA/NameCat/1/en.html

St. Andrew’s Abbey has an oblate group that meets in Bakersfield. While it may be possible to be an oblate without having regular meetings, I think you would be missing out on a lot. The abbey web site is saintandrewsabbey.com/

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.