Thinking of getting a pocket Bible

I have been thinking lately, as I am applying for summer jobs where I’ll have a long commute, that I should get a small copy of the Bible to read during my commute. I think it could be beneficial because I’ve been slacking in my scripture reading. I also think it would be great to carry the Word of God with me as I go about my day.

Anyone here ever use a pocket Bible or something like that so that you can have the Word of God with you at all times?

Apparently, Pope Francis recommends it.

I often use a pocket or compact Bible when attending prayer groups or adoration. There are usually compacts available for each of the main translations:

Oxford publishes a pocket NAB
HarperOne publishes a pocket NRSV
Baronius publishes a pocket Douay-Rheims
Ignatius publishes a pocket RSV-CE and a pocket RSV-2CE NT and Psalms

Thanks. I’ll look into them.

Currently I have my Bible in my book bag most of the time, but as school is ending I’m getting a smaller bag and thinking of a smaller Bible that will weigh less.

Just make sure you have good eyesight, because the print on those little Bibles is miniscule.

Another option is to download a e-book version. I have the Ignatius bible on my Kindle and refer to it frequently.

Even more portable, if you have a smart phone or a tablet, is an app. The free version of Verbum has several translations as well as commentaries and other reference books.

God bless

You can do much better than a paper pocket Bible for less than $20.

amazon.com/Ignatius-Catholic-Bible-Standard-Burgundy/dp/1586171011/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398198963&sr=1-1&keywords=9781586171018

Beautifully bound with miraculous medal zipper closure, gilded pages, both Old and New Testaments, RSV Catholic Edition. I think this is the best value in Bibles today. Plus it looks like a Bible - no one mistakes this book for a novel or a textbook. Just reading this in public is a statement about who you are and what you believe, and you will claim the bus or the train car for Christ. I carry mine everywhere. It is a well which I draw from frequently.

-Tim-

If you have, or are interested in obtaining, some sort of e-reader, you could also purchase an electronic copy of your preferred translation. I had a Kindle reader and have an NAB and a growing number of Catholic titles as well. It’s lightweight and I carry it with me daily.

And you can modify the font size, so no squinting! :wink:

I realize e-readers aren’t everyone’s cup of tea. It took me awhile to warm up to them. I still love the feel of a “real” book in my hands. But I was quickly running out of shelf space, so something had to give. Just a thought…

Whoops! I guess I was composing my thoughts when reagent6 posted. So now you have two votes for an electronic version. :slight_smile: And Timothy, that’s a beautiful Bible–thank you for sharing the photos!

My personal favorite New Testament is the Confraternity translation, made by the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine (ordained clergy), and in use from 1941-1969. I found an excellent pocket-sized copy on eBay for less than $3.

A 100% faithful Catholic translation, and in 20th century American English. $10 + S/H online.

Here is a vintage 1957 copy on eBay for $5 starting bid.

I have that same bible only with a black cover. I love it! :thumbsup:

I try to purchase Bibles that are made with the best materials, including sewn binding and genuine leather covers. For Catholics, that can be a challenge. I was able to, however, find an unused 1990 Genuine leather NRSV compact from Oxford which is definitely readable and beautifully made. Unfortunately, it has been out of print for a while:
catholicbiblesblog.com/2014/04/an-opening-oxford-nrsv-w-apocrypha.html?m=1

check this out

amazon.com/The-GoBible-LLC-Original-Catholic/product-reviews/B00G9PQ2WA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

I’d like a version like this, if I could do a word search in the text.

hey, check this out, too

heartlandamerica.com/browse/item.asp?PIN=174075&DL=GAW1&SC=WIG20001&

:thumbsup: That Bible looks great! Wish I had one.

What I do have and love, is a Crossway, compact ESV Bible. I wish it was a Catholic version with the complete books, but for the most part, it is a good translation. It is also a true pocket size. it can fit in the back pocket of jeans. My favorite thing about it, is the concordance! Wish Catholic Bibles would have this feature. My preferred Bible is the RSV-CE! The ESV is maybe a protestant equivalent;)

peace
Michael

I have this one too. It is very nice, for the size print it is easy to ready

amazon.com/Ignatius-Catholic-Bible-Standard-Burgundy/dp/1586171011/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398198963&sr=1-1&keywords=9781586171018

Beautifully bound with miraculous medal zipper closure, gilded pages, both Old and New Testaments, RSV Catholic Edition. I think this is the best value in Bibles today. Plus it looks like a Bible - no one mistakes this book for a novel or a textbook. Just reading this in public is a statement about who you are and what you believe, and you will claim the bus or the train car for Christ. I carry mine everywhere. It is a well which I draw from frequently.

-Tim-

I have a portable Confraternity (not technically pocket sized, but smaller than most). However, I find that more and more I’m using my iPhone.

Current translations on apps:

RSV-2CE: lighthouse catholic media bible app
Douay-Rheims: Verbum (sync-ed with the Haydock Commentary)
NAB-RE: Laudate App

Pretty much every translation except the Confraternity and the 1970 NAB are available electronically or via app.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.