Third order or Oblate

Hey all, I’m interested in finding out more about theThird Order of the Dominicans and of Oblates. So, here’s the thing. Whats the difference between the two? I"ve been to the web sites. I must be missing something, I don’t see any differences. Please help. SY

link to the sticky at the top of this forum that will answer a lot of your questions
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=179983

briefly Dominican tertiaries are connected to a Dominican foundation, and Benedictine Oblates are lay associates of a Benedictine monastery, Secular Franciscans are lay associates of Franciscans and so forth, and each order has its own spirituality, and each foundation has its own charism or work, and the lay associates are attracted to those expressions. The follow elements of the rule of their order adapted for lay people living in the world and usually make a profession, not vows.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:2, topic:198234"]
link to the sticky at the top of this forum that will answer a lot of your questions
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=179983

briefly Dominican tertiaries are connected to a Dominican foundation, and Benedictine Oblates are lay associates of a Benedictine monastery, Secular Franciscans are lay associates of Franciscans and so forth, and each order has its own spirituality, and each foundation has its own charism or work, and the lay associates are attracted to those expressions. The follow elements of the rule of their order adapted for lay people living in the world and usually make a profession, not vows.

[/quote]

Thanks Puzzleannie, So would I be correct if I said ; Oblates, Tertiaries, and Secular Frans. are just different words describing the same possition held in a specific dicipline. For example , are these ( oblates, tertiaries, seculars ) just different words identifing the same "rank" from different branches of the military?

The terms third order (secular )and oblate refer to a lay person who is a member of a religious community usually without taking vows. The mendicant orders such as Franciscans, Dominicans, Carmelites, Servites, Augustinians,Mercedarians,and Trinitarians have lay people who are part of their order called third order members. Third order members belong to the entire religious order.Third order members today are often called Secular Franciscans or Secular Carmelites, for example. Different name, same commitment.
Oblates, on the other hand, do not belong to an entire religious order but to a specific religious house, usually a monastery of contemplative monks or nuns. Most Oblates are Benedictine, but the Handmaids of the Precious Blood in Jemez Springs, NM, also have oblates.
Other religious institutes, mostly newer ones, have lay associates or confraternities.Third orders, oblates, lay associates, and confraternities all are ways for a lay person to belong to a religious family by sharing in its charism, but without taking vows like the religious members of the community do. The lay people are nonetheless still a part of the particular religious family, and these forms of commitment are encouraged by the Church.

Thank you both. You were both very helpful. SY

I have had trouble to get in to an order because I am to old. But that didn't stop our Lord from calling us. Now if men over , 35, 45, 50 all cut off ages, become a third order and take vows then live in community and call it a semi cloister, (They my have to work and come back) can they wear a habit. they would live on there own money. We would do and act just as a real cloister, monastery, or abbey. ( for prayers) What do you think?:confused:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.