Third Order or other?

If you could join a third order which one do you feel drawn to? Why?

If you do belong to one....please share your experience.....

I feel drawn to the Franciscans personally.

[quote="SonSearcher, post:1, topic:320058"]

[/quote]

Franciscan. Francis.

secular Carmelites. I've prayed a number of times at a carmelite monetary near me. Likewise, I'm drawn to Carmelite spirituality and their long history which traces back to the prophet Elijah of the OT. While seemingly withdrawn from the world in order to pray, they also seem like they have a prophetic voice for today. Some of the greatist and interesting Saints come from the Carmelite order, especially the "little way" of St. Theresa of Liseaux.
I think with Pope Francis, there will be more attention on the Fransicans and their third order which with a dedication to the simple life is likewise appealing. Great thread and topic and I wish and hope to see more types of these on CAF.

Iam a Franciscan Secular 3rd Order and Love it. I live in Nairobi was married but widowed now. The third order was begun in 1968 in our country. It is a beautiful thing to live this oath of Chasitity/Obedience and Poverty as a lay person
Pax et Bonum to you out there who are Franciscans…xx

Would love to kow more about these different orders.

Would you like fries and a Coke with that order?:smiley:

I am a professed member of the Secular Franciscan Order. The things that originally drew me to the Order was St. Francis. The more I learned about St. Francis, the more I felt drawn to the spirituality. His love of everyone, his total obedience to the Church, his humility all attracted me to the Franciscan Order. Along the way I was guided by friars from the Conventual Order.

If you feel called to the Franciscan Order, call your local SFO/OFS fraternity. Attend a few meetings, see what it is all about. If you are blessed to have several fraternities in your area, check out a few of them. Different fraternities have different personalities. If you haven't already check out the USA national website nafra-sfo.org

I would join the Carmelites. I definitely have a strong love for the Carmelite Spirituality and still trying to figure out if I am called to be a Carmelite.

[quote="AllyC1991, post:8, topic:320058"]
I would join the Carmelites. I definitely have a strong love for the Carmelite Spirituality and still trying to figure out if I am called to be a Carmelite.

[/quote]

I don't know if I'm called to any order. At the present time I'm just happy to be Catholic.

[quote="LegoGE1947, post:9, topic:320058"]
I don't know if I'm called to any order. At the present time I'm just happy to be Catholic.

[/quote]

That, my friend, is of the first order!

[quote="JamesCaruso, post:10, topic:320058"]
That, my friend, is of the first order!

[/quote]

Can some one school me as to how to program a signature at the end of my posts?

I am drawn to a saying by Mary Baker Eddy "To injure no one but to bless all.."(it is the motto of the Christian Science Monitor Newsmagazine)

[quote="LegoGE1947, post:11, topic:320058"]
Can some one school me as to how to program a signature at the end of my posts?

I am drawn to a saying by Mary Baker Eddy "To injure no one but to bless all.."(it is the motto of the Christian Science Monitor Newsmagazine)

[/quote]

Go to the top of the page, hover over Profile, choose control panel, then choose edit signature. Enter your choice and save.

[quote="SonSearcher, post:12, topic:320058"]
Go to the top of the page, hover over Profile, choose control panel, then choose edit signature. Enter your choice and save.

[/quote]

okay!

[quote="SonSearcher, post:1, topic:320058"]

If you do belong to one....please share your experience.....

I feel drawn to the Franciscans personally.

[/quote]

My girlfriend and I are both drawn to the Secular Franciscan Third Order as well. I have always felt a form of communion or strong desire for living Franciscan spirituality and my girlfriend on her own merit is already living Franciscan spirituality (in a small way). We both hope to pray together and discern together about the Third Order. :thumbsup:

[quote="SaintFrancis333, post:14, topic:320058"]
My girlfriend and I are both drawn to the Secular Franciscan Third Order as well. I have always felt a form of communion or strong desire for living Franciscan spirituality and my girlfriend on her own merit is already living Franciscan spirituality (in a small way). We both hope to pray together and discern together about the Third Order. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

My wife was a Third Order Dominican but the group she was with either died off or moved away so she dropped out:(

[quote="SaintFrancis333, post:14, topic:320058"]

[/quote]

What is it specifically that you mean by Franciscan spirituality as opposed to the spirituality of other orders?

I can't pick between the Carmelites and the Franciscans... love both. :):)

[quote="JamesCaruso, post:16, topic:320058"]
What is it specifically that you mean by Franciscan spirituality as opposed to the spirituality of other orders?

[/quote]

The emphasis on obedience and humility (that all Orders have at varying degrees). The total renouncing of materialism for God (with the exception of making enough to provide for family). The emphasis on serving the poorest of the poor through both prayer, but also hours of sweat and hard work. My confirmation Saint was a three way tie for me between St. Francis, St. Ignatius and St. Patrick. Ultimately I chose St. Patrick since at the time I was discerning the Priesthood and wished to serve in Ireland (they need solid Priests over there more than ever). But through praying about it I just started feeling the pull towards Franciscan spirituality. We are merely discerning right now though. Not at the point yet where we'd meet with anyone. We are focusing on our upcoming marriage soon (have to take the preparation courses and what not). Afterwards, we'll be looking for an Order to join for us to further bolster our spirituality and activity in doing God's will.

[quote="SaintFrancis333, post:18, topic:320058"]
The emphasis on obedience and humility (that all Orders have at varying degrees). The total renouncing of materialism for God (with the exception of making enough to provide for family). The emphasis on serving the poorest of the poor through both prayer, but also hours of sweat and hard work. My confirmation Saint was a three way tie for me between St. Francis, St. Ignatius and St. Patrick. Ultimately I chose St. Patrick since at the time I was discerning the Priesthood and wished to serve in Ireland (they need solid Priests over there more than ever). But through praying about it I just started feeling the pull towards Franciscan spirituality. We are merely discerning right now though. Not at the point yet where we'd meet with anyone. We are focusing on our upcoming marriage soon (have to take the preparation courses and what not). Afterwards, we'll be looking for an Order to join for us to further bolster our spirituality and activity in doing God's will.

[/quote]

Saint Joseph is my confirmation name and Francis has always been my favorite saint short of Mary and Joseph. I was very much surprised to see Saint Joseph pictured in a very Franciscan way in the writings of Mary of Agreda (The Mystical City of God). The vision she had of Saint Joseph in part was him plying his trade as a carpenter, helping all the people of the town, without ever asking for remuneration. Wherever his skills could help a neighbor, he would apply them. Sometimes they paid him, sometimes they did not. IOW, he relied totally on God and on the sense of justice of his neighbors, to earn his living. I'm sure there were those who simply could not pay, and maybe others who could pay but did not pay. This was all so Francis-like. My estimation of Saint Joseph rocketed. He was all of a sudden human like Francis, and at the same time, other worldly, again like Francis. I highly recommend The Mystical City of God. I downloaded it into my Android tablet. It was free of charge. Written in antiquated English, it is nevertheless, a priceless treasure.

[quote="JamesCaruso, post:19, topic:320058"]
Saint Joseph is my confirmation name and Francis has always been my favorite saint short of Mary and Joseph. I was very much surprised to see Saint Joseph pictured in a very Franciscan way in the writings of Mary of Agreda (The Mystical City of God). The vision she had of Saint Joseph in part was him plying his trade as a carpenter, helping all the people of the town, without ever asking for remuneration. Wherever his skills could help a neighbor, he would apply them. Sometimes they paid him, sometimes they did not. IOW, he relied totally on God and on the sense of justice of his neighbors, to earn his living. I'm sure there were those who simply could not pay, and maybe others who could pay but did not pay. This was all so Francis-like. My estimation of Saint Joseph rocketed. He was all of a sudden human like Francis, and at the same time, other worldly, again like Francis. I highly recommend The Mystical City of God. I downloaded it into my Android tablet. It was free of charge. Written in antiquated English, it is nevertheless, a priceless treasure.

[/quote]

You might be interested in viewing today's episode of The Vortex where Michael Voris talks about St. Francis and how modernists have hijacked him and made him something of a sissy rather than the MAN he actually was.

churchmilitant.tv/free/?vidID=&ssnID=&proID=

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.