"Third Order" Question?

I was hoping someone can clarify something for me.

I was reading the book “How to avoid Purgatory” and saw where it mentioned joining a Third Order? One of the members here pointed me in the right direction but I am still somewhat unsure on how one “joins”? The book also stated that you can only be a member of “one” group…which brings up my question. I am enrolled in the brown scapular and from what I read, it “seems” like I am considered in a “third Order”? I provided a link. Am I understanding this correctly? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapular_of_Our_Lady_of_Mount_Carmel

[quote="dailey, post:1, topic:221918"]

I was reading the book "How to avoid Purgatory" and saw where it mentioned joining a Third Order? One of the members here pointed me in the right direction but I am still somewhat unsure on how one "joins"? The book also stated that you can only be a member of "one" group..which brings up my question. I am enrolled in the brown scapular and from what I read, it "seems" like I am considered in a "third Order"? I provided a link. Am I understanding this correctly? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapular_of_Our_Lady_of_Mount_Carmel

[/quote]

Hi dailey,
Ok, let me see if I can throw some light on this for you. Being enrolled in the confraternity of the brown scapular does not make you third order Carmelite, ( sorry ). Most religious Orders, for say the Franciscans, Carmelites and like me, I am Third Order Dominican, all have third orders or, Laity. Any of these you need to discern a vocation first.Then after your first year of formation, you would be formally welcomed into the order.
Now, if you have a calling to one of these Orders, then you should ask your Parish Priest on how to contact someone from one of the orders in your area. If you have a calling, you will know ! I hope that helped you out somewhat. I will pray for you to ask that our Lord makes clear your calling.

God Bless you dailey. Take care,
James_OPL

I think belonging to a Third Order is a great idea because it provides a solid framework for one's spiritual growth.

If there is a religious Order near you where you could attend Third Order meetings, that would be excellent. If not, long-distance ties are the next best thing.

St Meinrad's Benedictine Archabbey nourishes the spiritual lives of its long-distance Oblates in accordance with the Rule of St Benedict.

There is a one year postulancy when you receive mailings from the Director of Oblates after you are invested in the Black Benedictine Scapular by a priest who will be mailed the faculties etc. After that, there is a ceremony of reception as a Benedictine Oblate.

If you are interested in seeing what it's all about, you could (if you wish) write to: [email]oblates@saintmeinrad.edu[/email]

I didn't discern any particular "vocation" to this other than the need for spiritual self-discipline and formation according to a tried Rule.

Alex
Benedictine Oblate
of St Meinrad's Archabbey

I was reading the book "How to avoid Purgatory" and saw where it mentioned joining a Third Order? One of the members here pointed me in the right direction but I am still somewhat unsure on how one "joins"? The book also stated that you can only be a member of "one" group..which brings up my question. I am enrolled in the brown scapular and from what I read, it "seems" like I am considered in a "third Order"? I provided a link. Am I understanding this correctly? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scapular_of_Our_Lady_of_Mount_Carmel

[/quote]

As James has already said, being enrolled in the Brown Scapular is not the same as being a member of either the Secular Discalced Carmelites (O.C.D.S.) or the Lay Carmelites (T.O.Carm.). This link will bring you to further information on the various Third Orders of the Church:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=179983

Perhaps this will lead you to discerning a vocation. :)

Hello,

I am in formation as a Secular Franciscan and the last thing I will do is convince you to become a Secular Franciscan. It is a calling - just as First Order vocation is. It is not something you join. It is something you are - and your Fraternity confirms this just as the Church confirms a priestly calling.

My advice - first figure out what is important to you:

Spirituality, Community, Service, Marian Devotion, Obedience to the Magisterium - Those things are Franciscan (OK theres my plug for the SFO)

Then look at the list of those orders that are approved through the VAtican. Just my opinion but why do something that is not Vatican approved? Make sure what you are doing is completely on the up and up and in rank and file with the Magisterium and you will not be wrong.

God bless. Pax et Bonum,

[/quote]

"Those who wear the scapular out of devotion, practice the Order's spirituality, yet have no formal association to the order share in a spiritual affiliation to the Carmelite Order."
To be a Third Order Carmelite requires six year of formation training.>I think that time frame is accurate< but that should not deter anyone.

Thank you so much everyone for answering my question! A lot of good info. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Joining 3rd Order doesn't make anyone exempt from Purgatory. Third Orders just like 1st and 2nd orders take discernment. I am in formation in the Secular Franciscan Order. One must have a calling to a particular way of life.

[quote="melchesidechpio, post:8, topic:221918"]
Joining 3rd Order doesn't make anyone exempt from Purgatory. Third Orders just like 1st and 2nd orders take discernment. I am in formation in the Secular Franciscan Order. One must have a calling to a particular way of life.

[/quote]

Sorry for the confusion. I never thought that joining a third order got you out of purgatory, lol!:p

I was just a bit confused after reading about the "brown scapular" and where it referenced third order.

here is a link to the sticky at the top of this forum on third order and lay associations
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=179983
which will answer some of your questions
No enrollment in the brown scapular does not make you a member of the Carmelites.

[quote="James_OPL, post:2, topic:221918"]
Hi dailey,
Ok, let me see if I can throw some light on this for you. Being enrolled in the confraternity of the brown scapular does not make you third order Carmelite, ( sorry ). Most religious Orders, for say the Franciscans, Carmelites and like me, I am Third Order Dominican, all have third orders or, Laity. Any of these you need to discern a vocation first.Then after your first year of formation, you would be formally welcomed into the order.
Now, if you have a calling to one of these Orders, then you should ask your Parish Priest on how to contact someone from one of the orders in your area. If you have a calling, you will know ! I hope that helped you out somewhat. I will pray for you to ask that our Lord makes clear your calling.

God Bless you dailey. Take care,
James_OPL

[/quote]

Evening, I thought that the Dominican laxity no longer used TOP or OPL? I thought everyone was to only use OP friars nuns sisters and lay? Just wondering

I am in formation for the third order od discalced carmelite. What a gift and a blessing. But it is a calling as it were. And yes, it takes 6 years to become fully professed.

I live in Canada and have joined the one in Buffalo, NY. I have been in direction for over 25 years and this is the 'icing on the cake' as it were...

How can you be in Canada, yet belong to third order in NY, USA?

[quote="JoyfulLife, post:13, topic:221918"]
How can you be in Canada, yet belong to third order in NY, USA?

[/quote]

The church is universal....

But what about meetings with the other third order members, spiritual talks/teachings, doing things together as a community, etc.?

What do you do as a third order carmelite? What's your daily schedule? Are you obligated to do things at a certain time, etc.? How do you manage to work and everything?

[quote="JoyfulLife, post:15, topic:221918"]
But what about meetings with the other third order members, spiritual talks/teachings, doing things together as a community, etc.?

What do you do as a third order carmelite? What's your daily schedule? Are you obligated to do things at a certain time, etc.? How do you manage to work and everything?

[/quote]

Attendance at meetings is mandatory and one must be excused to miss one. I have gone to the meetings in Buffalo. Yesterday, it took me only 45 minutes to get there. Border crossing was slight.

The funny thing, the border patrol asked me where I was going..I told him to Carmel...and it was a prayer meeting (to make it simple). He said didn't i have those in Canada? I had to laugh in my head. I told him not like this one! I shared that with the group at lunch and they laughed.

There is to an extent a certain time...Liturgy of the hours, meditation, spiritual reading. I do not work anymore...so it is quite easy to follow through. But there are those that do work and seem to cope. There are quite a few men in the group (young and old) and they work. Beautiful people...I have never expereinced men so spiritual as this.

[quote="Shoshana, post:16, topic:221918"]

Attendance at meetings is mandatory and one must be excused to miss one. I have gone to the meetings in Buffalo. Yesterday, it took me only 45 minutes to get there. Border crossing was slight.

The funny thing, the border patrol asked me where I was going..I told him to Carmel...and it was a prayer meeting (to make it simple). He said didn't i have those in Canada? I had to laugh in my head. I told him not like this one! I shared that with the group at lunch and they laughed.

There is to an extent a certain time...Liturgy of the hours, meditation, spiritual reading. I do not work anymore...so it is quite easy to follow through. But there are those that do work and seem to cope. There are quite a few men in the group (young and old) and they work. Beautiful people...I have never expereinced men so spiritual as this.

[/quote]

Time is as a passing shadow! You will be professed if you stay.
Carmel is a special group and I am proud to be a member.
I have a meeting today.

Shoshana,

Is there a website for the Carmlite order you belong to in NY?

God bless you.

[quote="JoyfulLife, post:18, topic:221918"]
Shoshana,

Is there a website for the Carmlite order you belong to in NY?

God bless you.

[/quote]

ocdswashprov.org/

Thank you. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.