Third Order

Would it be possible to be a parish priest, but belong to the third order of say, the Carmelites? I want to be a Parish priest, but the Carmelites really attract me. Thanks.

[quote="brycehecht, post:1, topic:337185"]
Would it be possible to be a parish priest, but belong to the third order of say, the Carmelites? I want to be a Parish priest, but the Carmelites really attract me. Thanks.

[/quote]

Not sure about the Carmelites, but it is definitely allowed with the OFS. :)

[quote="brycehecht, post:1, topic:337185"]

[/quote]

Yes, definitely. Diocesan priests can be lay Carmelites, as well.

**I know of many parish priests who are lay carmelites as was Blessed Pope John Paul II.

I assume a man would have to be a lay carmelite prior to being ordained - could be wrong.**

I don’t know in the case of the Carmelites, but a priest can become an OFS (ie, after ordination).

[quote="jmjconder, post:4, topic:337185"]
**I know of many parish priests who are lay carmelites as was Blessed Pope John Paul II.

I assume a man would have to be a lay carmelite prior to being ordained - could be wrong.**

[/quote]

Secular priests can become lay Carmelites. :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.