Third Orders / Oblates that take distance members

Does anyone know if the OCDS, Benedictine, or Franciscan third / oblate orders take distance members? Due to my location (and other factors) traveling to meetings would be very difficult for me and I'm not having much luck finding an "at distance" option.

I hope someone comments on this! I want to know too!

Blessings!

I don't know for any of the above, but for some provinces the Lay Dominicans have an option called 'Lone Lay Dominicans' for members who can't travel to meetings. People can either join the LLDF directly if they live too far from a fraternity or can't travel, or can transfer to being a member of the LLDF after belonging to a standard fraternity if their circumstances change. All formation etc is done at a distance and professions are made in person; if necessary the person in charge of the LLDF will travel to the person's home to receive vows. Members are encouraged to come to general meetings (provincial chapter & annual conferences) if they can.

In practice, given the size of the UK, most of the people involved in our province are elderly or disabled, but it's flexible if there are other needs.

It depends a lot on where you are. I believe that other orders who have such schemes would work in a similar way, e.g. on a province-wide rather than worldwide basis.

As for the Secular Franciscan Order, one of the key aspects to the Franciscan Order is the idea of fraternity. The social aspect is very important. Both initial formation and ongoing formation is supposed to happen as a group. Of course we realize that due to health issues and things like that after you are a member there are reasons to be excused. However many will see the fact that you are unable to either commit or make the meetings as a sign that you may not be ready at your current stage for the Franciscan Order. Remember entering an Order requires discernment and its not like joining a club, it is a calling. Sometimes God gives us signs that we may not be ready at the current time. Unable to meet with the group due to distance, timing or current obligations may be one of those signs. If you are interested you should contact the local fraternity and they should be able to evaluate your particular circumstances. I know our fraternity has suggested to people that say they can't attend for some reason or another to either check out other local fraternities schedules or evaluate whether you might need to wait a little while longer when the circumstances may change.

The OFS does not.

There are several Oblate groups that do.:)

OCDS (Order of Discalced Seculars) does not accept “lone” or “distance” members. They did in the past, but not anymore. The emphasis is on members being an active participant in the community/order by attending community/order meetings once a month.

Ooops! That should read "Order of Discalced Carmelite Seculars".
Sorry for the typo!

[quote="Batfink, post:3, topic:330282"]
I don't know for any of the above, but for some provinces the Lay Dominicans have an option called 'Lone Lay Dominicans' for members who can't travel to meetings.

[/quote]

I'm not sure that is available in the US. I've contacted two groups, since I'm geographically right on the border between them, and both have said that meetings are mandatory.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

From what I've found out on my own, and the info you guys gave me it seems that the Carmelites, Franciscans, and Dominicans are all out of the picture.

I've heard that the some Benedictines take distance Oblates, but so far I haven't been able to find them. Anyone have any information about the Benedictines?

[quote="elizaveta01, post:9, topic:330282"]
Thanks to everyone for the help.

From what I've found out on my own, and the info you guys gave me it seems that the Carmelites, Franciscans, and Dominicans are all out of the picture.

I've heard that the some Benedictines take distance Oblates, but so far I haven't been able to find them. Anyone have any information about the Benedictines?

[/quote]

Gimme a sec:)

Here ya go: yanktonbenedictines.org/Oblates_BenOnline_Intro.html

:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.