(Third) orders with a spirituality something along this lines

In no particular order, what are some orders (with third orders - Through discernment and consideration about my life situation I due to some personal issues would not be able to live in the community of a first order - I can only really handle the secular lifestyle) that have a spirituality consisting of these pooints, not in any particular order:

1. A love for Jesus’s passion.
  2. Strong Marian devotion.
  3. Focus on preaching and education.
  4. Strong prayer life period. :stuck_out_tongue:
  5. Strong charitable work in the world. (Yes, that was horribly phrased, I know)
  6. A desire to help fix (for lack of a better word) the church and lead her closer to Christ.

This is a vague description of the type of spirituality I’m developing, though granted I’m gonna need tons of work but don’t we all. :stuck_out_tongue:

Good question: Is 15 too young to be seriously thinking about stuff like this?

[quote="MarcusAndreas, post:1, topic:221135"]
In no particular order, what are some orders (with third orders - Through discernment and consideration about my life situation I due to some personal issues would not be able to live in the community of a first order - I can only really handle the secular lifestyle) that have a spirituality consisting of these pooints, not in any particular order:

1. A love for Jesus's passion. 2. Strong Marian devotion.
  2. Focus on preaching and education.
  3. Strong prayer life period. :P
  4. Strong charitable work in the world. (Yes,, that was horribly phrased, I know)
  5. A desire to help fix (for lack of a better word) the church and lead her closer to Christ.

This is a vague description of the type of spirituality I'm developing, though granted I'm gonna need tons of work but don't we all. :p

[/quote]

Hi Marcus, I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as many CAFers on third orders, so I'm sure more detailed responses will be coming along soon, but in the meantime ...

Your post made me think of what I've heard about the Lay Dominicans. I know someone who belongs to this order, and some of what you said seems in keeping with what I've heard from him. He has a great love for Mary and a strong prayer life, and does a lot of "lay apologetics", which is a form of preaching. The Dominicans' name is actually Order of Preachers (the initials "O.P." follow their names)

Here is the main link: 3op.org/

A description of Dominican Life: 3op.org/life.php

The Four Pillars: 3op.org/fourpillars.php

May God bless and guide you as you discern the path on which you will best serve Him :)

[quote="Morwenna, post:2, topic:221135"]
Hi Marcus, I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as many CAFers on third orders, so I'm sure more detailed responses will be coming along soon, but in the meantime ...

Your post made me think of what I've heard about the Lay Dominicans. I know someone who belongs to this order, and some of what you said seems in keeping with what I've heard from him. He has a great love for Mary and a strong prayer life, and does a lot of "lay apologetics", which is a form of preaching. The Dominicans' name is actually Order of Preachers (the initials "O.P." follow their names)

Here is the main link: 3op.org/

A description of Dominican Life: 3op.org/life.php

The Four Pillars: 3op.org/fourpillars.php

May God bless and guide you as you discern the path on which you will best serve Him :)

[/quote]

LOL, this is exactly what I was going to post. Everything that the OP is looking for describes the Dominican charism. I am a Dominican at heart and I am still discerning whether or not God is calling me to be a Third Order Dominican. :)

I would have to agree that this sounds like the Dominicans but I have to take issue with this one....

1. A desire to help fix (for lack of a better word) the church and lead her closer to Christ.

[/quote]

This just does not sound right.

This implies that the Church is broken and far from Christ.

[quote="ByzCath, post:4, topic:221135"]
I would have to agree that this sounds like the Dominicans but I have to take issue with this one....

This just does not sound right.

This implies that the Church is broken and far from Christ.

[/quote]

I was going to say that as well that most Lay, Secular, or Third Orders that are approved through Rome also have loyalty to the Magisterium as a Rule.

If you don't mind me asking are you looking at being a Secular Clergy in a Third Order or in a Third Order as a Secular Person.

Also what parts of the Church do you consider broken as I think before you decide how you wish to serve Her you should probably better work those issues out - but the great news is there is time!!!

I don't know about the Dominicans but I know the Franciscans have a Youth Group - so I am hopeful the Dominicans would as well - just to get to learn more about the charism.

Remember that what you are looking at now may change later and that is OK.

God bless you.

Pax,

1. A love for Jesus's passion.
  2. Strong Marian devotion.
  3. Focus on preaching and education.
  4. Strong prayer life period. :P
  5. Strong charitable work in the world. (Yes,, that was horribly phrased, I know)
  6. A desire to help fix (for lack of a better word) the church and lead her closer to Christ.

This is a vague description of the type of spirituality I'm developing, though granted I'm gonna need tons of work but don't we all. :p

[/quote]

15 is a great age to be thinking about vocation. I am sure there a plenty of orders that have seculars involved. As of right now I am a novitiate in the Secular Franciscan Order and will be professed in 18 months. I see some characteristics that would lead you towards a Franciscan lifestyle. A strong love for Jesus's passion, strong Marian devotion, strong prayer life, strong charitable work in the world. The best thing for you is to do a research about the 3rd order Secular and pray. If there is a come and see in your area, go and see.

[quote="melchesidechpio, post:6, topic:221135"]
15 is a great age to be thinking about vocation. I am sure there a plenty of orders that have seculars involved. As of right now I am a novitiate in the Secular Franciscan Order and will be professed in 18 months. I see some characteristics that would lead you towards a Franciscan lifestyle. A strong love for Jesus's passion, strong Marian devotion, strong prayer life, strong charitable work in the world. The best thing for you is to do a research about the 3rd order Secular and pray. If there is a come and see in your area, go and see.

[/quote]

I am also in formation as well for SFO- While we do have those things and St Francis did not discourage study he did not overly encourage either. However, St Dominic made up for the shortage of Doctors of Theology that were called for from the 3rd Lateran Council. That was their focus. While it is great that we wish to encourage people to come and see at our particular orders we really need to make sure we are guiding people to the correct charisms for them.

For the OP:

Franciscan Youth/Young Adults

Lay Dominicans

Lay Carmelites

Take a look at the Secular Servite Order. They are a group of mendicants that preach, have a very strong devotion to the Passion and Our Lady (especially in the Mater Dolorosa), and have a strong prayer life.

One thing you may want to also look into when you look at many groups is who has approved them. You will find groups that are approved by the Vatican. These groups have been around a very long time. They are very safe to get into and you know that if you join one of these that you are not going to be operating outside of the Catholic Church by following their direction. Then there are others that are still great groups and perfectly legitimate but have not yet been approved. Then we need to remember that anyone can put up a website. Then there are a few in between. Just some random thoughts.

[quote="joandarc2008, post:7, topic:221135"]
I am also in formation as well for SFO- While we do have those things and St Francis did not discourage study he did not overly encourage either. However, St Dominic made up for the shortage of Doctors of Theology that were called for from the 3rd Lateran Council. That was their focus. While it is great that we wish to encourage people to come and see at our particular orders we really need to make sure we are guiding people to the correct charisms for them.

For the OP:

Franciscan Youth/Young Adults

Lay Dominicans

Lay Carmelites

[/quote]

I quite agree with you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.