Third Orders

I feel that God is calling me to join a Secular Order.

I know a little about the Franciscan order but nothing about the Carmelite or other orders.

Could anyone point out the main differences in their approaches?

There are a bunch of threads going on this. I started one recently myself before I did an exhaustive search. After I did I realized there were literally dozens of them going. :o

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=569581

You are free to chime there to see if you get your questions answered. Brother JR has some very good other threads regarding SFO and other lay orders as well.

Good luck,

Jason

Some very good stuff in those threads I like the sound of the bendictine oblates as well, something else to consider over the next few weeks/months as I come to a decision as to which one to join.

[quote="St_Anthony, post:3, topic:244734"]
Some very good stuff in those threads I like the sound of the bendictine oblates as well, something else to consider over the next few weeks/months as I come to a decision as to which one to join.

[/quote]

I am obviously biased :D , but I think the Oblates are fantastic. So orthodox.:)

I hope it was helpful. You free to practice some thread necromancy if you want to continue to discuss the topic on the thread l posted, or here as is your preference.

I am currently discerning for the Dominican Laity and will start formation this fall. I am very excited to learn more going forward and to grow in spirituality.

Peace,

I'm actually quite torn between the secular franciscans and benedictine oblates.

On the one hand I am a bit of a minimalist as I don't want to get attached to material posessions and I am in favour of social justice but I like the idea of including silence and contemplative study.....

Going to be a tough decision.

Its a vocation like any other. I have been praying about it quite a bit and have downloaded several articles to read on the Order of Preachers, their history, spirituality, and their lay orders. Frankly, I am still learning about Dominican Spirituality and am trying to determine if that is the direction God is calling me or not. I was originally attracted to Ignatian Spirituality but the Society of Jesus does not have lay orders of any kind so that is out.

The parish I am moving to does have a chapter of Lay Dominicans which I found out about on the exact Day I found out about the fact that there were Lay Orders in the first place. I had previously been discerning Opus Dei as I had been looking for something and I knew nothing of lay orders so I kind of feel that God is steering me this direction. Plus there are multiple parishes in the town we are moving to but I have been attracted to this one for some reason. However, having said all of that, I want to be absolutely sure that I am responding to God’s call and that I am not the one trying to steer the ship. I’ve done that too many times and I obviously stink at it! :wink:

I would check to see what is availible in your area and see if you can’t speak to someone who can help you in your discernment. Brother JR on this forum has worked with the SFO I believe as a spiritual adviser and would probably be able to give you some good insight. Plus there are several that are actively involved in both orders within the lay faithful. Heck, if you just search “lay orders” or third orders" or “SFO/Secular Franciscan Order” I would bet you will find a ton of great information.

Good luck and God Bless!

Jason

In RE: Carmelites--

here is info on the O.Carm

laycarmelites.com/

here is info on the OCDS

carmelitesok.org/ocdsok/Forms/brochure.pdf

[quote="St_Anthony, post:1, topic:244734"]
I feel that God is calling me to join a Secular Order.

I know a little about the Franciscan order but nothing about the Carmelite or other orders.

Could anyone point out the main differences in their approaches?

[/quote]

prayer, prayer, prayer. Anything you want to know about the Secular Franciscan Order, I may be able to help

I have had trouble to get in to an order because I am to old. But that didn’t stop our Lord from calling us. Now if men over , 35, 45, 50 all cut off ages, become a third order and take vows then live in community and call it a semi cloister, (They my have to work and come back) can they wear a habit. they would live on there own money. We would do and act just as a real cloister, monastery, or abbey. ( for prayers) What do you think?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.