Third orders....

I would really like to become a nun, but can’t due to health reasons.
My question is this. Is there a third order that requires the wearing of a habit? Thanks and God Bless!

[quote=child_of_God85]I would really like to become a nun, but can’t due to health reasons.
My question is this. Is there a third order that requires the wearing of a habit? Thanks and God Bless!
[/quote]

Well, Secular Carmelites have a habit, but it amounts to a very large brown square scapular that goes over the head (maybe 10x10 inches or slightly larger). It is worn over streetclothes to our monthly meetings.

I think that there is also an ideal you are after, moreso than the habit itself and only you can dig deep inside and determine that. I know when I was discerning and ended up following a convent that had habitted nuns, it was tradition and orthodoxy (basic, trueness of the faith). I was looking for devoutness and simplicity - something I saw as lacking in the nuns who did not have habits, many of whom seemed to be spending more time and energy to get into chasubles than doing the basics.

What I’m saying is that it is a state of mind. If you find that you are after tradition and orthodoxy, then you might be able to find a secular order that has these things in spite of not wearing the habit.

I’m in Southeast Michigan and the Secular Carmelite order in which I am in formation for, is very traditional, very orthodox, and very devout. But not all are like this and some are even dabbling into new ageism, possibly without realizing it.

Look for orders (Carmelite or otherwise) who promote the classics written by the Doctors of the Church, as opposed to those which promote the spiritual “guru” of the day. Stay away from any order promoting things like enneagrams, labyrinths, and cautiously approach those who advocate “centering prayer”. This can be a little tricky because the name is used in different ways. Sometimes this expression is applied against a valid form of mental prayer, othertimes it is applied against a type of eastern mysticism, which does not have God at the center, but rather the self.

As you explore your options and find websites write into the spirituality forum and ask about certain things regarding the community you are considering.

Also, do not leave out the possibility of simply joining one of many apostolates. One great one is within the link I provide below - the Marian Cathechist Apostolate. This is not exclusive to people who want to teach catechism, but it is a way of life and evangelization. The curriculum for development could not be any more orthodox as it is written by Fr. John A. Hardon, one of the most noted orthodox theologians of modern times. He is the founder. Hit the link and explore.

If you are young, take your time. Also, you can belong to an apostolate at the same time that you belong to a secular order. Sometimes they compliment each other. However, just remember that these are often lifetime committments. One of the many reasons you should go slow and make sure it is what you want. The requirements for Marian Catechist are not too far removed from what I have as requirements for Carmel. Therefore, it is not that much more for me to join the Marian Catechists or any other apostolate. Just don’t join too many.

I advocate Marian Catechist training even if you do not want to become a Marian Catechist. It will give you the orthodox development you are yearning for, if that is what you are yearning for. I know I was. My catechism was so weak and dumbed down it still bothers ms. Now, at 43 I am sitting in an adult catechism class and reading other catechetical texts to make up for the inadequacy of that taught in my youth.

[quote=child_of_God85]I would really like to become a nun, but can’t due to health reasons.
[/quote]

There is an order of nuns that accepts those with health problems. I’m sorry to tell you that I don’t know exactly which order it is. I will ask my friend next time I see her. Her daughter is looking into it right now.

[/quote]

You may be able to profess similiar vows as religious do in a private vow situation with your bishop. This does not happen a lot, but it is allowed. You remain at home, caring for your health, but also living the best you can, the vows that you take.Contact your diocese for info.
Most third orders have a formation period, where prayer, study, and discernment are required. If your health would not allow you to attend the classes and community meetings, the private vow situation might work better for you.

Good luck,
Deacon Tony SFO

Franciscan Tertiaries of the Immaculate wear habits for their Masses & meetings.
marymediatrix.com/rel_life/fti.shtml

My husband is solemn professed. I am still on my way.

You may also consider some nuns communities that consider women with health difficulties.

Handmaids of Nazareth
home.rochester.rr.com/handmaidsnaz/
(the sisters are self-supporting)

Visitation Monastery of Snellville
religiouslife.com/vocsearch/search.phtml?view=d&my_id=36&criteria=d
cloistered nuns.
“The order, by design of St. Francis de Sales, has
always opened its doors to women who were older, to
widows and to those with physical impairments.”

Also check other Visitation monasteries as they tend to have similar charisms.

Benedictines of Jesus Crucified
benedictinesjc.org/
“Our Founders so arranged things that all the Sisters,
whether in poor health, physically handicapped, or in
good health, could share the same life.”

General religious life sites to check out:
religiouslife.com/
cmswr.org/
cloisters.tripod.com/

See the thread I made for more info:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=60753

I forgot to add, you might also consider being an oblate or something similar. I heard that sometimes communities will allow oblates to live there who for some reason cannot become actual nuns (eg. health reasons, divorced). I don’t know how it all works but from what I understand, if you are eligible to receive support from the government for health care, then that would be maintained if you were an oblate. Send me an email if you would like to know more about this, since I know of someone who might be able to help.

You might also consider joining a lay community (living in community as single or married) such as the Dominicans in Kentucky:
newhope-ky.org/home%20page/stm.html

God bless!

[quote="child_of_God85, post:1, topic:44714"]
I would really like to become a nun, but can't due to health reasons.

[/quote]

Being a third order is also my second option since i cannot also become a nun because of my health. The religious community (Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate) i had discerned to join advised me to join their third order (Franciscan Tertiaries of the Immaculate). They are beautiful community and their tertiaries wear habit, but only on particular community functions like meetings, mass, etc.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.