Third Secret

Maybe I am very uninformed on this, but what is the Thrid Secret of Fatima. I have read some things on it and so far the biggest or most well known “fact” is that the secret the Vatican announced really isn’t the secret at all. Please notice the quotes around facts. You all know I love the Church and won’t leave the path that is on my journey to Rome, but I have to admit I am curious. To be quite frank, the first thing I thought when I heard “satan has entered the Vatican” or something to that degree from JP2, I thought of the Church hiding the secret, maybe for our own good or whatever. Any thoughts?

dxu

[quote=snowman10]Maybe I am very uninformed on this, but what is the Thrid Secret of Fatima. I have read some things on it and so far the biggest or most well known “fact” is that the secret the Vatican announced really isn’t the secret at all. Please notice the quotes around facts. You all know I love the Church and won’t leave the path that is on my journey to Rome, but I have to admit I am curious. To be quite frank, the first thing I thought when I heard “satan has entered the Vatican” or something to that degree from JP2, I thought of the Church hiding the secret, maybe for our own good or whatever. Any thoughts?

dxu
[/quote]

It is only conspiracy theorists that think the Vatican did not reveal the Thrid Secret.

Pope John Paul II revealed the Third Secret and Sr Lucia confirmed this as well as saying that Mary is satisfied.

So those who think the Third Secret has not been revealed doubt not only the Pope but also the one who the Secret was given to.

I would add, that it doesn’t really matter anyways as this is nothing more than a private revelation and it is not binding upon Catholics to believe in it.

Here is a direct link to what the Vatican says about it.

I appreciate the answers.

dxu

p.s. Not doubting just curious…Woohoo RCC…:smiley:

[quote=snowman10]Maybe I am very uninformed on this, but what is the Thrid Secret of Fatima. I have read some things on it and so far the biggest or most well known “fact” is that the secret the Vatican announced really isn’t the secret at all. Please notice the quotes around facts. You all know I love the Church and won’t leave the path that is on my journey to Rome, but I have to admit I am curious. To be quite frank, the first thing I thought when I heard “satan has entered the Vatican” or something to that degree from JP2, I thought of the Church hiding the secret, maybe for our own good or whatever. Any thoughts?

dxu
[/quote]

The Controversy of the Third Secret of Fatima ~ Sungenis
A detailed article on the third secret of Fatima.

(15 pages of detailed analysis).

I guess Robert Sungenis is a “conspiracy theorist”.

Mark Wyatt
www.veritas-catholic.blogspot.com

[quote=trth_skr]The Controversy of the Third Secret of Fatima ~ Sungenis
A detailed article on the third secret of Fatima.

(15 pages of detailed analysis).

I guess Robert Sungenis is a “conspiracy theorist”.

Mark Wyatt
www.veritas-catholic.blogspot.com
[/quote]

If so, a very gifted one… except to those who prefer their own point of view… period.

I think that since Fatima is not binding, it really doesn’t matter, IMHO, about the future of the Church. Plus, if it our time, its our time (im a person who worries about death).

dxu

[quote=MrS]If so, a very gifted one… except to those who prefer their own point of view… period.
[/quote]

Of which I believe Mr Sungenis fits. Isn’t he one of those that is pushing geocentrism and says that it is a dogma of the Church?

I stand by the Church in what it says.

[quote=ByzCath]Of which I believe Mr Sungenis fits. Isn’t he one of those that is pushing geocentrism and says that it is a dogma of the Church?

I stand by the Church in what it says.
[/quote]

If we first except a basic truth… no one knows which is correct (earth around sun or sun around earth). Scientists can at least agree that both theories are theories… neither is proven fact.

Does Sungenis push one theory? Perhaps push can be used just as it could be used by those who “push” the opposing theory.

Dogma of the church? That would be “pushing” the envelope. But it is interesting how scripture “pushes” the idea of the earth being the center of Mankind… and afterall, creation occured here… and Jesus did come here. All very interesting, but all not critical to our salvation. (which Sungenis is the first to acknowledge.)

What is the official position of the church? Has it infallibly declared that Russia was consecrated in 1984?

snowman,

I think Fatima matters a great deal, because Mary gave us a path to avoid chastisment in her visitation at Fatima. While the visions are approved, they are not binding on the faith, yet it seems to me to be folly not to act on the things Mary gave us.

Doesn’t Fatima basically say bad things though, kind of apocalyptic? Maybe more of a warning to better ourselves not really what will happen but something to make people recognize their sinfulness?

dxu

It is a warning, and that is the reason we should not toss it aside. If we do as Mary said, we can lessen the chasitisement…if we ignore it, then we get what we get.

[quote=TPJCatholic]It is a warning, and that is the reason we should not toss it aside. If we do as Mary said, we can lessen the chasitisement…if we ignore it, then we get what we get.
[/quote]

If you wouldn’t mind, could you enlighten me on the third secret, like a cliff notes version. I have read it but I may misunderstand it as well. Come to think of it, could someone give me a brief synopsis of all the secrets, especially the Thrid.

dxu

[quote=Magicsilence]What is the official position of the church? Has it infallibly declared that Russia was consecrated in 1984?
[/quote]

This is not an area where the Church or the Pope would declare infallibily… thus the ambiguity, confusion, and debate continues…

There is a link to an article on this topic that presents both sides, and the conclusion should be yours. Either way, it is not an element critical to your salvation.

Personally, I hope that Russia will some day open its doors to the Pope for a safe visit to the Catholics and the Catholic churches that still remain.

snowman,

The secrets guide us to conversion and a turn back to God…which is the essential message of the Gospel in general terms.

As the Vatican site states:

[left]Fatima is undoubtedly the most prophetic of modern apparitions. The first and second parts of the “secret”—which are here published in sequence so as to complete the documentation—refer especially to the frightening vision of hell, devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary, the Second World War, and finally the prediction of the immense damage that Russia would do to humanity by abandoning the Christian faith and embracing Communist totalitarianism.

“To save souls” has emerged as the key word of the first and second parts of the “secret”, and the key word of this third part is the threefold cry: “Penance, Penance, Penance!” The beginning of the Gospel comes to mind: “Repent and believe the Good News” (Mk 1:15). To understand the signs of the times means to accept the urgency of penance – of conversion – of faith. This is the correct response to this moment of history, characterized by the grave perils outlined in the images that follow. Allow me to add here a personal recollection: in a conversation with me Sister Lucia said that it appeared ever more clearly to her that the purpose of all the apparitions was to help people to grow more and more in faith, hope and love—everything else was intended to lead to this.

Furthermore, Sister Lucia had already given an indication for interpreting the third part of the “secret” in a letter to the Holy Father, dated 12 May 1982:

*“The third part of the secret refers to Our Lady’s words: ‘If not [Russia] will spread her errors throughout the world, causing wars and persecutions of the Church. The good will be martyred; the Holy Father will have much to suffer; various nations will be annihilated’ (13-VII-1917). *

*The third part of the secret is a symbolic revelation, referring to this part of the Message, conditioned by whether we accept or not what the Message itself asks of us: ‘If my requests are heeded, Russia will be converted, and there will be peace; if not, she will spread her errors throughout the world, etc.’. *

*Since we did not heed this appeal of the Message, we see that it has been fulfilled, Russia has invaded the world with her errors. And if we have not yet seen the complete fulfilment of the final part of this prophecy, we are going towards it little by little with great strides. If we do not reject the path of sin, hatred, revenge, injustice, violations of the rights of the human person, immorality and violence, etc. *

And let us not say that it is God who is punishing us in this way; on the contrary it is people themselves who are preparing their own punishment. In his kindness God warns us and calls us to the right path, while respecting the freedom he has given us; hence people are responsible”.(5)
[/left]

Please go here for study on this subject:

vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/cfaith/documents/rc_con_cfaith_doc_20000626_message-fatima_en.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.