Third Vatican Council quote by Pope Francis?

There appears to be a growing trend in social media such as Facebook to quote articles that appear to be true, which seem to have legitimacy though they often hinder our genuine Apologetics efforts. For example, here is an article allegedly quoting Pope Francis from the Third Vatican Council: :eek:

diversitychronicle.wordpress.com/2013/12/05/pope-francis-condemns-racism-and-declares-that-all-religions-are-true-at-historic-third-vatican-council/

The most dangerous lie is the one that most closely resembles the truth. :confused:

What are some of the ways for us to continue our Apologetics in the face of such obvious distractions designed to confuse, misinform or muddy the waters?

How do we engage social media like Facebook to charitably assist those well-meaning people who do not check facts behind stories before they quote, share or comment on them?

I tried disabling Facebook to avoid this type of deception and mistruth though most recently felt inspired to help be a voice for Catholic Apologetics, so please share any suggestions you have on fruitful ways we can help share with others the true voice of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Blessings and peace. :slight_smile:

Do you really think that that nonsense closely resembles the truth? Would any reasonable person believe that there has been a Third Vatican Council that nobody heard about?

It seems to me there are far larger things we have to deal with than somebody with a wordpress page talking about Vatican III.

Sadly, it is how I found out about it, Christians sharing this on Facebook.

How do you suggest we help people without appearing condescending or judgemental to check their sources before quoting Pope Francis from unauthorised sources?

If just one soul was led astray from the truth, how much is that one soul worth?

What can we do to help the many thousands of souls who share, like and comment on such mistruths?

I am seeking help from loving souls here on how we can help other souls on social media, this was just one of many examples of false teaching being shared about our Catholic faith.

In short, please help with suggestions on how Apologetics can better lead others towards truth in social media when these types of false teachings hinder our efforts.

I share your concern about appearing condescending or judgmental, even with children. However, we must ask the obvious questions:

“Does this seem real?”
“Could something like this happen and we would not hear about it?”
“Could a pope ever say such a thing?”[e.g. rejecting Christianity]

If some people are actually credulous enough to believe anything they see on the internet, we should just pray for them to be granted wisdom.

Thank you for your thoughtful response and prudent advice.

Sadly, lukewarm Christians or Catholics may be easier targets than those who embrace a more active faith. I just could not believe how many of those were commenting with words along the lines of “I love this Pope” in response to this linked article. These souls need prayers as you advise, was hoping we could learn what else we could do to assist them with any genuine enquiry for truth. Thank you in advance.

I agree with the OP since people are ignorant of most important matters. So the only thing to do is investigate such weird sounding stuff yourself and respond on social media whenever you see people taking it for truth by pointing out they are reacting to satire or lie, or whatever it is, as though it were real.

Why would anyone believe this nonsense. Whenever there is a Vatican III (which likely will not be in my lifetime) it would be headline news around the world.

Thistle, I have no idea, each day many thousands of souls learn about our Catholic Faith through social media and other sources without questioning it by faith or reason then tap or touch one button to pass it onto others.

Misinformation about our Lord Jesus Christ has been around since our Lord walked with us, now, with the tap or touch of one button, this misinformation accelerates globally.

Please help by standing up against misinformation any time we see it, and/or offer any suggestions on how to do this with the highest regard for charity of all souls, as active members of the Body of Christ.

People need to look carefully at any site they find…especially blogs like this one which has this at the far right hand top. Disclaimer

The original content on this blog is largely satirical.
“I ceased in the year 1764 to believe that one can convince one’s opponents with arguments printed in books. It is not to do that, therefore, that I have taken up my pen, but merely so as to annoy them, and to bestow strength and courage on those on our own side, and to make it known to the others that they have not convinced us.” – Georg Christoph Lichtenberg.
It is in the spirit of the above quote that I write. Who am I you may ask? My name is Erik Thorson. I created this blog for my own personal amusement.
Copyright © 2013 Diversity Chronicle All Rights Reserved.

Great find, thank you. :slight_smile:

Believing this site would be the equivalent of taking " The Onion" as real news.

Thanks ! :thumbsup:

Most average sinners probably think Vatican 3 is a street address in Rome. I wouldn’t be too concerned.

ICXC NIKA

As soon as I read the line about Cardinal Arinze leaving the Church, I figured it must be a satire site - like the Onion only less well knows.

Now you can have a friendly laugh with your FB friends that you all were the victims of a “gotcha”. :slight_smile:

Great point thanks, guess a little bit of knowledge can be dangerous. :blush:

I must admit to not checking the site further so wholeheartedly appreciate everyone’s contributions. :thumbsup:

Pax, people!

That website is a satire. Even the most cursory glance at the contents reveals that this is an Internet wit writing in the vein of The Onion.

Here’s the disclaimer by the author, Eric Thorson:

diversitychronicle.wordpress.com/disclaimer/

What’s sad is that people have lost the ability to identify satire these days.

Are you sure this web site is not just a conservative lampooning of liberal ideology. It has to be. Check out this article: Progressive Professor Urges White Male Students to Commit Suicide During Class.

It is. The article about the 6-year-old committing a “hate crime” made me chuckle a good deal. :smiley:

The blog in the OP is satire. It is a joke.

The creator of the blog says so at diversitychronicle.wordpress.com/disclaimer/

***The original content on this blog is largely satirical.

“I ceased in the year 1764 to believe that one can convince one’s opponents with arguments printed in books. It is not to do that, therefore, that I have taken up my pen, but merely so as to annoy them, and to bestow strength and courage on those on our own side, and to make it known to the others that they have not convinced us.” – Georg Christoph Lichtenberg.

It is in the spirit of the above quote that I write. Who am I you may ask? My name is Erik Thorson. I created this blog for my own personal amusement. ***

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.