Third video emerges of Obamacare architect insulting voters

cnn.com/2014/11/12/politics/gruber-obamacare-third-video/index.html

This one is not commentary.

After the 1st video where he called American voters stupid, he said his comments were “off the cuff”. Well, unfortunately for him, two more videos came out that makes it seems his comments are part of a standard speech.

The Obama administration paid several hundred thousand to Gruber to help write a deceptive bill, banking on the “stupidity” of the American voter to support it.

Bookmark, I vaguely heard about this, sounds like an important story.

Truth is:

1. a large plurality of voters are stupid, so the guy is right.

2. politicians have been working on the basis that voters are stupid since at least FDR was president, and it hasn’t caused them too many issues till now.

3. I don’t resent that he thinks we are all stupid so much as I resent his audacity in saying it out loud to our faces. The effrontery!

:thumbsup: Not for the comment but on your 1000th post!

The idea that voters in general are a filiment short of a lightbulb goes back to the founding fathers. They didn’t trust voters to make an intelligent choice for President so they set up an electoral college instead of a popular vote.

Yeah, but now the Electoral College is kind of a rubber stamp.

IF they would vote Obama in who would they NOT?

I was just commenting that the idea that voters are stupid has a long history in the US.

You also have to remember that when Obama ran the first time he went against McCain, a great leader, but he had an r next to his name and people were not really happy with Bush, just like people are not happy with Obama now.

When he ran for election against mitt, people were worried most of all about mitt’s faith. This week we saw an article that the LDS acknowledges that smith had 40 wives. You read peoples post to that and they are throwing it to mitt because of it.

It is true, not a lot of people study the facts when they go vote.

It sure wasn’t back in 2000…

Agreed, let’s face it, the American voters are stupid. I mean, you can’t have it both ways - watch Watters World and O’Reilly bashing the uninformed voter and then turn around and get mad at this guy. I agree he really had some arrogance about him though, but that could just be because I disagree with him. But this is pretty basic stuff on the left and right, and, again it’s true…

one of the things that most bugged me about Romney was that he never rebuked the associates who think he is the fulfillment of the Mormon prophesy of ‘The Man on a White Horse’ that is supposed to save the USA from a great invasion, but he breaks up the unrighteous rulers in Washington.

the-end-time.blogspot.com/2012/10/mitt-romney-and-mormon-white-horse.html

"Moody is a seventh-generation Mormon, steeped in the same intellectual and theological milieu [as Romney, who is also 7th generation Mormon].

“We were taught that America is the Promised Land,” Moody said in an interview.” The Mormons are the Chosen People. And the time is now for a Mormon leader to usher in the second coming of Christ and install the political Kingdom of God in Washington, D.C.”

"In this scenario, Romney’s candidacy is part of the eternal plan and the candidate himself is fulfilling the destiny begun in what the church calls the “pre-existence.”

“Several prominent Mormons, including conservative talk-show host Glenn Beck, have alluded to this apocalyptic prophecy. The controversial myth is not an official church doctrine, but it has also arisen in the national dialogue with the presidential candidacies of Mormons George Romney, Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, and now Mitt Romney.”…

The Salt Lake Tribune covered the Romney campaign in 2007. Once again, these are excerpts only.

(2007) Romney candidacy has resurrected last days prophecy of Mormon saving the Constitution

WASHINGTON - It’s Mormon lore, a story passed along by some old-timers about the importance of their faith and their country. In the latter days, the story goes, the U.S. Constitution will hang by a thread and a Mormon will ride in on a metaphorical white horse to save it. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints says it does not accept the legend - commonly referred to as the “White Horse Prophecy” - as doctrine.

The issue, however, has been raised on those occasions when Mormons have sought the Oval Office: George Romney was asked about it during his bid in 1968, Sen. Orrin Hatch discussed it when he ran in 2000, and now Mitt Romney. “It is being raised,” says Phil Barlow, a professor of Mormon history and culture at Utah State University. “I’ve heard it a bit lately.”
Romney says he doesn’t believe in the supposed prophecy, nor did his father when he ran.
“I haven’t heard my name associated with it or anything of that nature,” Mitt Romney told The Salt Lake Tribune during an interview earlier this year. “That’s not official church doctrine. There are a lot of things that are speculation and discussion by church members and even church leaders that aren’t official church doctrine. I don’t put that at the heart of my religious belief.” …

Not only will the Mormons save the Constitution, under the prediction, but the prophecy goes further, insinuating that Mormons will control the government. “Power will be given to the White Horse to rebuke the nations afar off, and you obey it, for the laws go forth from Zion,” the prophecy says.

I have read several articles in which Romney’s school friends often said that Romney was the man on the White Horse who would save the Constitution and rule the USA. He never denies it and deflects to the standard ‘I don’t believe in it and it is not church doctrine’ line.

Sadly, many of those voters don’t even realize they were being insulted. They think he was insulting the Republicans. They still think healthcare is now free. The new IRS forms won’t be out until late January. A big tax bill may wake up some of them.

I don’t dispute that Gruber said some “insulting” things in some other videos, but I don’t see an insult in this. I think the reporter is trying too hard to find further evidence, like some sort of follow-up story, but this ain’t it:

“It’s a very clever, you know, basic exploitation of the lack of economic understanding of the American voter,” Gruber said

I mean, who can deny that the American voter lacks economic understanding? Even a lot of highly educated Americans lack economic understanding. This is news?

I think most people accept that they don’t know everything. What really upsets me and most of the stupid people I know is that he thought he could take advantage of people’s lack of knowledge. Criminals do that. Scammers do that. Our government should not be doing that.

I’m shocked! Shocked to find out this type of graft goes on in Washington!

Your winnings sir. Oh. Thank you very much.

Very true.

washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/11/12/hearings-floated-as-hill-republicans-seize-on-gruber-obamacare-comments/

Not sure if getting him under oath would bring out any kind of real truth, since this guy and his ilk obvioulsy have no problem lying with straight faces, but it would be nice to see him squirm.

The news is that in order to get the bill passed, Dems had to hide the truth. In their mind, the ends justified the means.

To me, the most troubling aspect of this is not whether the left holds the American people in contempt.

What one has to wonder is how many of the Democrats in congress knew any better than did anyone else. Either way, it’s very troubling. Either lots of them knew and voted for it anyway, or they had no idea what they were doing with such a huge segment of the economy (they knew it was large, at least) and because of party solidarity supported it without having any idea what they were doing to the country. If they didn’t know, did they not have even that much curiosity? Were they (are they) such party automatons that they just went along with something about which they had no idea at all?

Personally, I think they knew they were engaging in a huge deception. Despite Harry Reid’s hiding it from the Repubs, he couldn’t totally hide it from at least some of the congressmen in his own party. There were too many pundits and Repubs who knew enough to point out some of the problems for them not to know anything. Even I could see that it was a tax on the upper middle and middle-middle class primarily to benefit another segment of the middle class. That much, at least, was obvious.

Has anyone said “It’s Bush’s fault” on this thread yet?

If not, let me be the one. IT’S BUSH’S FAULT!!!

White House Spokesman Josh Earnest was on a clip on Fox a few minutes ago on this very subject. He didn’t mention Bush by name, but he did blame the Republicans.

I won’t comment on the stupidity of the American voters (who did, after all elect Obama twice), but how stupid is Gruber for saying these things THREE TIMES in venues where they could be recorded?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.